Color grading

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

SuperGR8

Color grading

Post by SuperGR8 »

Hi All,

I've shot a lot of Super8 of the kids on Vision3 material which I'd like to learn how to color grade properly, a lot of people have told me that FCPX is the way to go but since I only have PC's that doesn't seem to be the path for me.

I downloaded the free version of Davinci Resolve and it looks amazing from a features point of view and I took a short stab at learning how to use it last night with some of my footage basically generating a timeline and quickly doing some playing to familiarize myself with the program... in terms of coloring the only thing I did was press "3D LUT -> Film Looks -> Rec709 Kodak 2383 D55" which generated colors that were better than the flat "non corrected" look for sure but still I think it could be much better so I'd like to learn how to do it properly and properly also learn how to apply some noise removal if possible...

Here's the raw footage straight from the LaserGraphics scanner (scanned at Pro8mm) in 4K downsized to HD with the colors applied as described above.
https://vimeo.com/199906699

Can anyone recommend some good tutorials or videos explaining how to do it? - there's millions of hours of material on YouTube it seems but finding the best without knowing what to search for (and how to it properly) is not easy.

Thanks
Daniel

Re: Color grading

Post by Daniel »

Hi,

I have reviewed your footage. The first 30 seconds are just great. Very fine development and scanning indeed.
I also send currently my Kodak 7203 footage for processing and scanning to Pro8mm.

Regarding color grading, our company in Chile does offer color grading services, but also trainings. You just need a TeamViewer version installed on your computer and a Da Vinci Resolve software installed. If you are interested, my email is fotoquimicafilms@gmail... to discuss about it.
I do not recommend FCPX for grading; instead, Da Vinci Resolve is a real color grading software

All the best,
Daniel Henríquez Ilic
Fotoquímica Films SpA
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

double post
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I wold recommend one of the Ripple Training online tutorials, I think I pain $60 for the Resolve 12 lesson s. They come out with new lessons all the time. www.rippletraining.com
Reborn member since Sept 2003
DonFito

Post by DonFito »

A beautiful home movie!
Cheers,

Rafael Rivera
www.donfito.com
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Learn Resolve.

It's free unless you want to output in 4k. I believe you can work with 4k footage, just not output it in 4k unless you buy the full product. Resolve has been the cornerstone of film colorists in the U.S. for many years. The editing has actually gotten pretty decent on it, but the color section is incredibly powerful.