kahl film in UK

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mr8mm

kahl film in UK

Post by mr8mm »

I recently inquired to Kahl Film with regard to their color reversal films. Mr Kahl responded that since three years they have given the rights to Kahl film to a firm in London(UK) for Europe and North America. Does anyone have any idea what firm this might be? Who in UK is selling Kahl Film exclusively?
Mmechanic

Re: kahl film in UK

Post by Mmechanic »

http://www.kahlfilm.de/content.php?nav=6

I can’t seem to find anything about the products with that site. Did anyone expect anything else? I didn’t.
aj

Post by aj »

For some reason Kalhl doesn't favour selling outside Germany.

Enquiry with http://www.egglab.co.uk/contact/ doesn't bring anything?

Seems like a creative company who might possibly have taken up a side-business of reselling film.
It is odd to keep it secret though :)
Kind regards,

André
Angus

Post by Angus »

Egglab appears to be a creative consultancy, with no reference to film or Kahl on their site.

I wonder if it's a typo on Kahl's site?

I did once buy from Kahl years ago, by bank draft I think. I bought some 50ASA daylight colour reversal super 8 film from them which was pretty good. But the process of buying from the UK was rather torturous.

In this day and age I don't understand why companies are unable to sell worldwide, and offer card payments or paypal. I know postage to/from the USA can be horriffic...but between Germany and the UK are quite reasonable.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

I bought some film from Kahl in 2014, this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOv07nx2aRI'

and a roll of long-expired Ferrania 16mm. The Ferrania film is private, because I don't want to undermine their efforts by showing way out of date Ferrania film...
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

Angus wrote:
In this day and age I don't understand why companies are unable to sell worldwide, and offer card payments or paypal. I know postage to/from the USA can be horriffic...but between Germany and the UK are quite reasonable.
Part of the problem is that credit cards and paypal give consumers unreasonable unlimited power. Some merchants are not willing to be screwed over and over by customers who don't bother to understand a product before buying it or who simply change their mind, and then lie to their credit card issuer to get a full refund. Also, did you know that consumers can successfully reverse virtually any online transaction? If there is no signature, customer gets their money back. Customer doesn't even have to lie - customer merely needs to call card issuer and initiate a 'retrieval request', ie "would you please send me proof that i participated in that transaction?" If merchant can't provide a signed sales slip, merchant loses funds and eats a penalty. A crookeder system there could not be.
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

There are still photo dealers around. Kiosks. Bookshops.

Film manufacturers made a big mistake when they withdrew from there. Photo dealers did the same. We have four dealers in town here and it is a pain to see their web sites. Although still pricing photochemical films by PDF lists, they have nothing corresponding on the site nor in the shop. One of them has a second-hand equipment window but not one little film box sitting there. I remember when photo dealers had big dummy film boxes, often suspended on Nylon threads.

I know Mr. Kahl in person. He is too shy to promote his products more aggressively. Sometimes it’s simple lack of marketing know-how. Maybe that Film Ferrania comes back to counters, shelves, and showcases.

silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

I love your picture of the film shelf. I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and buy much of what is displayed...
mattias

Post by mattias »

Kahl is an idiot and a crook. He did a film chain transfer of my film after I ordered and paid for a flying spot, then scratched my film when finally doing a (lousy) flying spot transfer, then stopped responding to my emails. Shy my ass. Stay far away.
Angus

Post by Angus »

I am aware that all "distance selling" whether online, by phone or old fashioned mail order....carries a 14 day cooling off period during which the order can be cancelled.

I am aware that people can order, then send stuff back. That goes, even if they pay by bank transfer or cheque.

I would have thought that making it *easier* for customers to buy products would ultimately result in more products being sold.

Happy to report my local camera emporium still has a "wall of film" behind the counter....albeit smaller than 20 years ago.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)