Meopta Admira 8IIa question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

BAC

Re: Meopta Admira 8IIa question

Post by BAC »

I have an 18-5 Super and an 18-5L for Super 8. The 18-5 Super takes the same lens as the 18-5 Regular 8mm models but the 18-5L takes a larger diameter lens. The claw on the Meopta is at least two frames below aperture.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

BAC wrote:I have an 18-5 Super and an 18-5L for Super 8. The 18-5 Super takes the same lens as the 18-5 Regular 8mm models but the 18-5L takes a larger diameter lens. The claw on the Meopta is at least two frames below aperture.

Hmmmmmm, how many frames below is the Keystone? I know the bolex camera is 4 for the regular 8 but the bell and howell projector is 3. I'm thinking of trying to grind a different claw to make my bolex 3 down so it matches my projector. I'll get slightly better registration that way...
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

BAC wrote:For Regular 8mm I run a Bolex 18-5, Bolex M8 and a Keystone K109-D. They all seem to have very good registration but now that you brought this up I'll be paying closer attention to it. I do have some commercial 8mm prints, the spooky movies will be coming out for Halloween.
So did you end up playing your spooky movies for Halloween trick or treaters? Seems to be a big decline in trick or treaters these days. Did you get anyone at all?..
BAC

Post by BAC »

slashmaster wrote:
BAC wrote:For Regular 8mm I run a Bolex 18-5, Bolex M8 and a Keystone K109-D. They all seem to have very good registration but now that you brought this up I'll be paying closer attention to it. I do have some commercial 8mm prints, the spooky movies will be coming out for Halloween.
So did you end up playing your spooky movies for Halloween trick or treaters? Seems to be a big decline in trick or treaters these days. Did you get anyone at all?..
I set up a translucent screen on my living room window for the trick or treater's to see as they approached my door. Unfortunately only two children came, we don't usually see many either. A few adult neighbors came by and where quite fascinated with my projector setup.

On Super 8 with a Bolex 18-5L:
-Bride of Frankenstein with Boris Karloff & Elsa Lanchester - 100' sound version.
-The curse of the Mummy's Tomb - 200' silent
-House of Frankenstein with Boris Karloff - 200' silent
-Dracula with Bela Lugosi - 200' silent

On 8mm using a Viedotronic 8 Repeater Projector:
-Doom fo Dracula with Boris Karloff - 200' silent

The Videotronic 8 plays in a continuous loop. I have room on the reel for another 200' film so I need to start my search for something for next year. The projector allowed me to just leave it running while I did other things, like rewinding the Super 8 movies, so the show didn't have any big gaps.

As we watched the movies I played records including Monster Mash, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath
BAC

Post by BAC »

I got back the film that I shot in the Meopta. I had it developed at Dwaynes, they do a great job developing but the scans are not so great. When I first watched the scan I thought there was a serious registration problem with the camera. But then I watched it on a projector (Bolex 18-5) and it looked great, no registration problem. So I assume the problem is with their scanner. The film is Kodak Ektachrome 100D and like I said, it looks much better projected. These are just a few short cuts from the roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ozoAlm6Ly4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zq0GGIBlTg
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

BAC wrote:I got back the film that I shot in the Meopta. I had it developed at Dwaynes, they do a great job developing but the scans are not so great. When I first watched the scan I thought there was a serious registration problem with the camera. But then I watched it on a projector (Bolex 18-5) and it looked great, no registration problem. So I assume the problem is with their scanner. The film is Kodak Ektachrome 100D and like I said, it looks much better projected. These are just a few short cuts from the roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ozoAlm6Ly4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zq0GGIBlTg
That looks terrible! Not only is the registration poor but it has scratches, is already dirty, and the brightness isn't so consistent. Was your lens clean when you shot this? Did you scratch it and get it dirty or them? You shot at 16 fps? Did you make this with a tripod?
BAC

Post by BAC »

It was all shot handheld and I'm pretty sure the Meopta scratched the film. The registration and exposure look fine when I watch it on the projector. That's the last time I have Dwayne's scan my film, there must be something wrong with their equipment or the person operating it. They do a good job with processing though. It was shot at 18 fps and I cleaned the gate and lenses before I loaded it. Other than the scratches I think most of that junk was in Dwayne's equipment.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

BAC wrote:It was all shot handheld and I'm pretty sure the Meopta scratched the film. The registration and exposure look fine when I watch it on the projector. That's the last time I have Dwayne's scan my film, there must be something wrong with their equipment or the person operating it. They do a good job with processing though. It was shot at 18 fps and I cleaned the gate and lenses before I loaded it. Other than the scratches I think most of that junk was in Dwayne's equipment.
Oh, alright. Does it look nice and contrasty when you project it? Films from a non reflex generally have better contrast. By the way, started looking at your other video's too. Sorry someone took your drill press, guess your neighborhood is slowly turning ghetto?
BAC

Post by BAC »

slashmaster wrote:
BAC wrote:It was all shot handheld and I'm pretty sure the Meopta scratched the film. The registration and exposure look fine when I watch it on the projector. That's the last time I have Dwayne's scan my film, there must be something wrong with their equipment or the person operating it. They do a good job with processing though. It was shot at 18 fps and I cleaned the gate and lenses before I loaded it. Other than the scratches I think most of that junk was in Dwayne's equipment.
Oh, alright. Does it look nice and contrasty when you project it? Films from a non reflex generally have better contrast. By the way, started looking at your other video's too. Sorry someone took your drill press, guess your neighborhood is slowly turning ghetto?
Yes, much better contrast when its projected. It's not so much the neighborhood turning ghetto, it's Seattle's homeless problems spilling into the suburbs. Homes around here are getting so expensive it's wonder anyone can afford one.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

BAC wrote:
Yes, much better contrast when its projected. It's not so much the neighborhood turning ghetto, it's Seattle's homeless problems spilling into the suburbs. Homes around here are getting so expensive it's wonder anyone can afford one.
So sorry that is happening. At least that guy might be reducing the amount property taxes go up by stealing stuff! Is that what your films about? Tearing up land to make new houses? If I'm not mistaken, homelessness helps put a stop to a cities growth.
BAC

Post by BAC »

The film with the truck is a U.S. EPA cleanup of an old landfill that I was working on last summer. We shipped over 150,000 tons of waste off site in 6 months. We will finish the cleanup next year.

Homelessness is a big problem in most West Coast cities but it's not affecting growth. We don't have much more land to build on around here so they dig up old 1/2 acre lots and cram 4 or 5 houses on them with tiny little yards.