No news from Ferrania is not good.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

cineandy

Re: No news from Ferrania is not good.

Post by cineandy »

Kodak 100d, imo only looked ok on dull days, all other times, utter rubbish, skin colours were just terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Z2lA82dtQ 64t footage from 2mins 15 secs...... Captured some time ago, t/k to mini dv via ranks mk3, so quality poor. 64t looks much sharper and more natural colours.
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

doug wrote:
kontrabass888 wrote:
Tscan wrote: I would like to see how fine grain a modern 25ASA reversal stock could be.
I have shot two Kahl NC15 25asa daylight super 8 film and developed as reversal last year,
It gives super sharpness and extremely fine grain, however the red color was very weak on this film, green and yellow were OK.
People still guessing what is the original source of this NC15, but any way it must be something old...
Ferrania doesn't need give evolutionary quality of film, but the quality from 60's, 25d/40t will be OK for me.
That's interesting, I never tried the Kahl film. Is it still available ?
Some of these old 25 asa films were very small grain. Agfa reversal in the 1960s was also extremely good but that was only 16 asa.
Maybe it's that much easier to make a high resolution film no higher than 25. And wasn't the first Ektar col print still-film only 25 ? Somehow Kodak found ways of increasing speed without enlarging the grain.
Well, this Kahl NC15 could be developed as both positive and negative, so I guess it could come from very old stock... but except lacks red color, every thing else are excellent.
about medium format, ferrania can't bit Fuji RDP 100 any way, and I used to shoot with agfa RSXII 50 with 35mmm and 120 film before they were discontinued.
I still have some old stocks in my fridge, and I think I will quit 8mm and 16mm film shooting after I finish all 64t and other E6 stocks. I tested Kahl UT18, it has good sharpness, but grain and color are not so good. before i bought it I thought it might be the same stock as RSXII50 but the result doesn't looks like the same source. I am not ineresting about agfa 200d at all, because I had used agfa CT 200 and RSX200 in 35mm format for some time about 15 years ago, it has too big contrast and too heavy grain.
I bought some ektar 25 35mm and 120 format 2 years ago, I will test them this summer. and at this moment the only fresh film i will buy is Fuji RDPIII 100,because there is no other is available.
In my opinion, in the digital age, film should march to the direction of the low speed, and leave the difficult lighting situation to digital.
doug

Post by doug »

cineandy wrote:Kodak 100d, imo only looked ok on dull days, all other times, utter rubbish, skin colours were just terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Z2lA82dtQ 64t footage from 2mins 15 secs...... Captured some time ago, t/k to mini dv via ranks mk3, so quality poor. 64t looks much sharper and more natural colours.
Well I'm flabbergasted. The 64T does look better I agree. I didn't use much 64T but I never got these kind of results, it was always very grainy.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I actually really liked the color pop E100D had, but the lack of sharpness bothered me. The 64T actually seemed to improve in it's short duration. I think they started out in S8 with left overs. They did improve the color balance with the internal filter (originally needed an 85B) and the grain seemed to improve slightly (maybe due to fresher stock later on) but expected a little tighter grain out of a 64ASA stock.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

A lot of discussion about what film Ferrania should produce but does anyone know what film they will actually produce? My impression from early posts was that they will produce a version of Scotchchrome 100. I contributed to the fund raiser expecting to receive "gifts" of S8 and 16mm film. I go to my mailbox every day filled with expectation but I am always disappointed. Can someone sneak into the Ferrania facility and find out what is going on at Ferrania or just go to the bar in a local town and listen to what the locals are saying about the jobs they will have when Ferrania is up running. This operation has the plot of an Italian comedy about how some unemployed locals con the government into giving them money to resurrect a derelict factory to produce something for which there is no market but locals come up with great set of slogans to give the impression that there is a demand. The con works so well that they not only get the government money but money pours in from all over the world.

J.S.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

mr8mm wrote:I go to my mailbox every day filled with expectation but I am always disappointed.
It's like waiting for that decoder ring from sending in cereal box tops...I feel for you.

I have a feeling you'll hear about it here way before it shows up in your mailbox. :)
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

mr8mm wrote:A lot of discussion about what film Ferrania should produce but does anyone know what film they will actually produce? My impression from early posts was that they will produce a version of Scotchchrome 100. I contributed to the fund raiser expecting to receive "gifts" of S8 and 16mm film. I go to my mailbox every day filled with expectation but I am always disappointed. Can someone sneak into the Ferrania facility and find out what is going on at Ferrania or just go to the bar in a local town and listen to what the locals are saying about the jobs they will have when Ferrania is up running. This operation has the plot of an Italian comedy about how some unemployed locals con the government into giving them money to resurrect a derelict factory to produce something for which there is no market but locals come up with great set of slogans to give the impression that there is a demand. The con works so well that they not only get the government money but money pours in from all over the world.

J.S.
Well, last year I made a joke in an other topic that their engineers looks like actors, and then there was an ID called "AJ" , wrote me something not very friendly...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24307&start=75
I really hope that he was right, but I don't see this ID write any thing about ferrania for more than half year.
aj

Post by aj »

Seems your posts are only about complaining about Ferrania or other companies.
Barely ever something useful to others is presented.

BTW Kickstarter funding is risk bearing. It only leads to promiss and not to an entitlement.

When Ferrania produces masterrolls it may prove an undertaking in itself to do the cutting
and packing. Especially into super-8 cartridges.
Kind regards,

André
doug

Post by doug »

There must be many niggling problems in starting a venture of this kind, and as outsiders we can't really appreciate all that. And as I said before the products must be as perfect as possible before the launch, otherwise there will be lots of negative feedback which won't help anyone.
As aj says the super-8 cartridge could be one of the hurdles. If it is say Scotchchrome they have to ensure that this film (intended for stills) is transported properly without jamming or sticking.
As I mainly use 16mm I would be happy to see some rolls of film, probably easier to produce. But then the super-8 fraternity wouldn't be happy.
BTW on another forum someone mentions the possibility of Fuji provia in 16mm.

Apart from my own filming activities I run a camera shop. I can say there is a real interest in Super-8, but all I can offer new customers at the moment, is black and white reversal film. So from this perspective I know that Ferrania's new film will be a great help, assuming of course that the price is reasonable. Newcomers to super-8 need to eat apparently.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Angus

Post by Angus »

If you want to know what's going on at Ferrania, keep visiting their website and subscribe to their newsletter - you should be subscribed if you contributed to the Kickstarter campaign. Sadly the pre-production films are not on the horizon yet.

http://www.filmferrania.it/news/2016/wh ... ed-to-2015

Yes, it is a shame and a disappointment that things have been delayed a year...but the information as to why is out there. The first product will be a 100ASA colour reversal film based on the last iteration of Scotchchrome, possibly a slightly updated formula as the Ferrania staff have been working to improve it. Scotchcrome was no Ekta 100D but it was OK, and if they can improve on it then that's great. I think the idea initially is to plug the hole left in the market for colour reversal E6 film in 16mm, super 8, 120 and 135. There is a clear gap in the market which could establish Ferrania as a niche but important film manufacturer. More formats and types of film *may* follow if things go well. Personally I hope for a reasonably priced super 8 colour reversal film. I'll only buy a few rolls a year, but I will buy.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

aj wrote:Seems your posts are only about complaining about Ferrania or other companies.
Barely ever something useful to others is presented.
I didn't complain any company else than Ferrania.
I will keep complain ferrania and I will not forget to say again "to have a nice summer vacation" to ferrania staffs :D :D :D
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

It would be good to have someone from Ferrania as a contributor to this forum. Perhaps that would keep rumours and speculation to a minimum. J.S.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

They announced on Facebook last month that they received approval by the Italian Gov as a recognized production facility. Apparently that's a big hurdle in Italy?
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Angus

Post by Angus »

I know this is going to come across as bad tempered but.....

It would be good if forum members who are interested subscribed to and read Ferrania's newsletter, checked their website and facebook pages.....then the speculation would be kept to a minimum.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

Angus wrote:I know this is going to come across as bad tempered but.....

It would be good if forum members who are interested subscribed to and read Ferrania's newsletter, checked their website and facebook pages.....then the speculation would be kept to a minimum.
They didn't release any news about their production on facebook
and they didn't update any news since Feb.13 2016 on their official website.