Another Analog Funeral

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

silverhalide

Another Analog Funeral

Post by silverhalide »

Not small gauge cine, per se, unless you count a flip book of prints, but still...

http://petapixel.com/2016/02/29/fujifil ... tant-film/
kuparikettu

Re: Another Analog Funeral

Post by kuparikettu »

Apparently its production was stopped 2012, so in a sense it was buried already.
Mana

Post by Mana »

kuparikettu wrote:Apparently its production was stopped 2012, so in a sense it was buried already.
That was 4x5. This is the pack film used in Polaroid Land cameras, and its seriously sad!
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2016/0 ... tant-film/
When I first started this business about 5 years ago, Fuji FP-100 and the variants of such were reasonably popular, but professionals were no longer asking for it. I had been working for a large photo supply company and we were told (unofficially) back in 2011 that peel apart film was to stop production in the near future, so any orders we wanted of it would have to be done immediately.

But then something strange happened. FP-100 all of a sudden became extremely popular…The internet and sites such as mine raised the public awareness of said film and the sales increased to the point that over the last couple of years they have not been able to keep it on the shelves in Japan, despite the prices. In fact, over the last year it has been hard to get here because as soon as it hits the shelves it is purchased in huge amounts by Chinese buyers who have flocked to the peel apart market. Fuji simply could not get it on the shelves fast enough. It got to the point that serious bulk buyers had orders cancelled or were not allowed to order such amounts as it was considered unfair to other customers.

So here is where we see what has really happened. It is now clear that FujiFilm had already ceased the production of the film back as early as 2012 and has basically spent the last few years selling off the stock they had. Way to go Fuji(not)Film.
BAC

Post by BAC »

I've been using this for several years now, it's a lot of fun and makes great pictures. The prices are going way up since everyone is trying to stock up before it's gone. I just read on another forum that they are only discontinuing it in certain markets. The press release was only in Japanese so this may be true but I don't know if that means they're still making it or just running out their current stock. I did see it on store shelves in Japan last year but maybe it's not selling well there.