Chinon 722 cartridge type?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

chinon722

Chinon 722 cartridge type?

Post by chinon722 »

I have an old Chinon 722 Automatic 8mm however I do not know what type of film cartridge to use. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Would it use a Kodac 50D/7203?

http://filmforevermpe.com/products/koda ... -cartridge

Thanks,
Britt
Charlie Blackfield

Re: Chinon 722 cartridge type?

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

Welcome to the forum, Britt.

In theory, any Super 8 cartridge (including the one you were looking at) should fit your camera. However, I think the Chinon 722 has only automatic exposure. Is this still working? If it isn't, well, it might be easiest to go for a different camera (although you could try my method of shooting with a Chinon 300 with broken auto-exposure: take a reading with an external light meter, then decide whether or not to put an ND filter in front of the camera, and shoot - not exactly the best results, but it did produce some recognisable pictures). If the auto-exposure is still working, there's a fair chance that the auto-exposure will be set to the film stocks that used to be around in the 1970s, which makes the camera a bit tricky to use with today's film stocks. Maybe someone else knows a bit more about this camera and can enlighten us on this topic?

Charlie
inlieubeaulieu

Re: Chinon 722 cartridge type?

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

from looking up online, the filmspeeds are as follows:
For Daylight filmstocks: 25 and 100 (50D would either be overexposed or underexposed by one stop, which would still yield a usable image, or you could push or pull process by one stop with the lab)
For Tungsten filmstocks: 40 and 160 (Which means that 200T should yield a good result without any problems)

this is all dependent upon whether the camera's automatic control is still functioning, however.