Whats this reel with 6 splines instead of 3 all about?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

slashmaster

Whats this reel with 6 splines instead of 3 all about?

Post by slashmaster »

I have this interesting 200 foot reel which has 3 additional wider splines in addition to the normal 3 splines on a super 8 reel. Anyone know what the larger ones are for?

Front https://www.facebook.com/ShildFilm/phot ... =1&theater

Back https://www.facebook.com/ShildFilm/phot ... =1&theater
RCBasher

Re: Whats this reel with 6 splines instead of 3 all about?

Post by RCBasher »

Could it have been a take-up reel for some particular brand of projector?
Off all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

RCBasher wrote:Could it have been a take-up reel for some particular brand of projector?
It's possible but it's only a 200 footer, what super 8 projector only accepts 200 feet?
RCBasher

Post by RCBasher »

slashmaster wrote:It's possible but it's only a 200 footer, what super 8 projector only accepts 200 feet?
Good point, 400ft would be more usual. Maybe a small portable one of some sort? Anyway, it was just a guess of course.
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

It's for 1/4inch magnetic tape for reel to reel tape players/recorders.
I see them a lot in the UK.
Often the hole has a little insert adaptor so you can use them on older regular 8mm projectors as well as 1/4 tape and super 8. Don't know what they are called - Multi Reels?
Boots the chemist used to sell them.

Chris
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Chris-B wrote:It's for 1/4inch magnetic tape for reel to reel tape players/recorders.
I see them a lot in the UK.
Often the hole has a little insert adaptor so you can use them on older regular 8mm projectors as well as 1/4 tape and super 8. Don't know what they are called - Multi Reels?
Boots the chemist used to sell them.

Chris
Oh, so it's like that so the adapter that comes with it will fit more rigid than the more common ordinary adapter? Sounds like the answer! Thanks Chris!
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

RCBasher wrote:
slashmaster wrote:It's possible but it's only a 200 footer, what super 8 projector only accepts 200 feet?
Good point, 400ft would be more usual. Maybe a small portable one of some sort? Anyway, it was just a guess of course.
It would be very interesting if there was one that ran off several D cells!
RCBasher

Post by RCBasher »

slashmaster wrote: It would be very interesting if there was one that ran off several D cells!
By portable I meant small and light, not necessarily battery powered! I guess with an efficient motor and LED lighting, a battery (rechargeable?) powered one could be possible....would certainly focus ones' attention on short and interesting films rather than hours of holiday footage!!

PS: Further thoughts - a LED powered projector would not need a shutter, reducing the load on the motor, as the LEDs could be turned off during the pulldown phase, no heat shield required and full brightness still frame. Anyone keen to make one? Ha!
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

RCBasher wrote:
slashmaster wrote: It would be very interesting if there was one that ran off several D cells!
By portable I meant small and light, not necessarily battery powered! I guess with an efficient motor and LED lighting, a battery (rechargeable?) powered one could be possible....would certainly focus ones' attention on short and interesting films rather than hours of holiday footage!!

PS: Further thoughts - a LED powered projector would not need a shutter, reducing the load on the motor, as the LEDs could be turned off during the pulldown phase, no heat shield required and full brightness still frame. Anyone keen to make one? Ha!
I don't think you'll be able to easily concentrate enough light from LEDs through a film frame to make a very bright picture, but would be interesting to see how it looks compared to a usual tungsten or halogen bulb projector. You could certainly get much higher color temperatures!
RCBasher

Post by RCBasher »

slashmaster wrote:I don't think you'll be able to easily concentrate enough light from LEDs through a film frame to make a very bright picture, but would be interesting to see how it looks compared to a usual tungsten or halogen bulb projector. You could certainly get much higher color temperatures!
Getting the light power shouldn't be a problem (there are LED car headlamps) but doing so and keeping the power consumption reasonable would be a challenge! Anyway, as a "portable" projector it could be forgiven for not being able to light up a whole wall from 20 feet....
Rob

Post by Rob »

Well, somebody thinks they've done it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNA1vffiHrE
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Well he's getting a nice color temperture, if he can get more power than that I might be interested.