Low Cost Telecine

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Tscan

Low Cost Telecine

Post by Tscan »

Hopefully the moderator is ok with this shameless plug for my website. But my goal is to offer quality affordable transfers of negative super 8 film (and reversal) with no minimum. Most post houses require a half hr minimum at about $300 per hr. If you want to keep shooting S8 while enjoying the benefits of all 3 awesome Vision3 films without the high cost hurdles, this is a good alternative. My Rates are $15 per 50ft roll with no color correction, this option gives you a nice inverted raw neg to work with. Or $25 per roll with color correction, grain reduction, ect.
www.silentfilmworks.com
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Pj

Re: Low Cost Telecine

Post by Pj »

Wonderful website and great transfers.

Pav
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Pj wrote:Wonderful website and great transfers.

Pav
Thanks! I've been keeping busy with scans but feel the need to post something here about my services because it's been too quite on this board lately. I suspect it's because not enough people are shooting S8 these days now that reversal is gone. The new Vision3 films have more to offer than anything we've had before. If you haven't gotten the chance to try them or experiment because of the higher costs, i'd like to offer a much more affordable option to average shooters that like to expose between 1-8 carts of film. Pick up those cameras again and see what you've been missing!
aj

Post by aj »

Forums are on the down because people spend their time on social media.

You may want to attempt on advertising there somehow.
Kind regards,

André
bottlegardener

Post by bottlegardener »

Best of luck with your scanning business. Your prices are great.
Just wondering if you've ever had a chance to try an uncompressed scan with your machine? I noticed the "NEW: Now capture compressed or uncompressed!!!" notice posted on the Moviestuff site and I'm really interested to see the quality vs compressed.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

bottlegardener wrote:Best of luck with your scanning business. Your prices are great.
Just wondering if you've ever had a chance to try an uncompressed scan with your machine? I noticed the "NEW: Now capture compressed or uncompressed!!!" notice posted on the Moviestuff site and I'm really interested to see the quality vs compressed.
Yes, for my own work I start with an uncompressed TIFF sequence, but you can also do JPEG and other file types. For TIFFs, each frame is around 1.6MB and loaded with information. That makes the flat $15 per roll option a good choice. If you know you're way around a halfway decent NLE, the raw files are really fun and easy to work with and get the look you want. I do some subtle color balance before the scan, so the colors are pretty accurate on the inverted neg that you have to start with. Proportionally it's the super 8 film chain equivalent of a 35mm 2K DPX sequence, in which each frame is around 12MB.
bottlegardener

Post by bottlegardener »

Hey thanks for that info. Very interesting. So it'd be roughly 6.4GB for a cart? That's pretty manageable when mailing hard drives.