Thailand & Taiwan & Singapore 1970's Super 8mm

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

carllooper

Re: Thailand & Taiwan & Singapore 1970's Super 8mm

Post by carllooper »

JeremyC wrote:I see where you are going but I actually meant
Hi Jeremy,

I did understand what was meant. A lens for larger sensors will be easier to find because it does not need to be as exacting as one for smaller sensors (to get the same result). I was saying something like that here:
Yes, having a larger sensor pixel (ie. larger sensor array) will put less stress on the lens requirements (although you'd need a larger lens of course).
I also understood that extra processing would be redundant if you use large sensors. I put it like this:
Of course one needs to be into that sort of thing [ie. extra processing] to make any use of it. Alternatively one can spend tens (or hundreds) of thousands on a camera that may not need such methods.
It all depends on what resources you can exploit as to what can be considered (or made) redundant. I like the idea of spending money being made the redundant component. A cost (or investment) is still there but it's in terms of time/labor/knowledge instead. Half a dozen of one or six of the other.

Now where can I buy a cheap lens grinding kit :)

C
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
MattiasN

Post by MattiasN »

Hi got a new TAIWAN & THAILAND 1970s Super 8mm cilp

https://vimeo.com/85107570

i have some before and after denoise and sharpening pictures here

http://flickr.com/photos/94271811@N03
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

What's the bitdepth and dynamic range of this Flea3 camera? How many bits does it do when running at 21fps?

Also, when you talk about resolution I think it is a valid point to say something about bayer pattern which really lowers the true resolution quite dramatically.

Another thing that came to my mind is that we're always discussing cameras, sensors and resolution. Why doesn't anybody create a quality "open source" table and transport mechanism for a scanner that can be easily put together with off the shelf component? To continue this thought, why don't we put our minds together and create some software for capture and image manipulation. Heck, why don't we make an open source film scanner ???

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

My friend has been lately busy with his new 2K film scanner. His plan is to build it first for super-8 and 16mm, but later he intends to modify it to accept 35mm as well. The scanner is built around Kodak KLI-2113 and LED lightsource. The basic principle is following:

Data is sent to computer over ethernet.

Film gate and diffused R+G+B LED light source:

This is the second version of the scanner which should provide very good image quality. There has been however an earlier and much simpler prototype of the scanner. Please take a look here for an example from the previous, much older scanner which used a cheap CCD from an old telefax machine and had some problems with film transport not being smooth enough:

The older scanner was built on top of an editing table: