Do There Exist 1-perf 16mm Projectors?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

super8film

Do There Exist 1-perf 16mm Projectors?

Post by super8film »

Hi everyone. I realize this isn't technically a super 8 question, but nonetheless I thought someone might be able to help. Do there exist 1-perf 16mm projectors, or were most of the 16mm projectors back in the day 2-perf from the factory? I'd like to shoot some 16mm B/W reversal and just project it at home, but in order to do this I'd certainly need a 1-perf projector, so I'm just trying to figure out the best 16mm projector to purchase.

Also, I'm assuming that processed 16mm would come back from the lab on a plastic core. That said, are there any adapters or tricks that can be used to prepare the film for projection? The prospect of manually winding 400' of film from the core onto a reel doesn't seem all that exciting :)
mr8mm

Re: Do There Exist 1-perf 16mm Projectors?

Post by mr8mm »

I have a 16mm projector you can at no cost other than shipping to you. I think it is one side perf. It is a bell and howell sound. Since the sound track is on one edge the projector should be one edge perf. I hope you live in the USA.--
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

I haven't seen a dual perf projector in decades. All the modern Eiki, Elmo and B&H projectors have a sprocket only on one side.

Roger
marc

Post by marc »

I used to have an old B&H double perf 16mm projector.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

All 16mm sound projectors are 1 perf.
super8film

Post by super8film »

Thanks to everyone for all of the help. Mr8mm, I've sent you a PM.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Almost any 16mm projector you can find these days would be 1-perf and probably optical sound.

Also, if you get your film returned on a core which is most likely, you can use a "split reel" to put it on a projector or onto winders where you can wind it onto a normal projection reel.

This is a 35mm version but there are plenty of 16mm ones in different sizes out there.

super8film

Post by super8film »

I knew split reels existed, but I didn't know what they were called, so thanks for clarifying that, Will. Looks like a split reel is the way to go if I'm trying to project film returned on a core. Out of curiosity, about how much would a 400' 16mm split reel cost, and are there any manufacturers or retailers that you would recommend?
Will2

Post by Will2 »

super8film wrote:I knew split reels existed, but I didn't know what they were called, so thanks for clarifying that, Will. Looks like a split reel is the way to go if I'm trying to project film returned on a core. Out of curiosity, about how much would a 400' 16mm split reel cost, and are there any manufacturers or retailers that you would recommend?
Hollywood Film company and Neumade are the names I know…they are nice, heavy metal reels. Looks like they are on eBay for $25-$59 (search "split reel"). Everyone working in 16mm should probably have at least one of these. Make sure you get the right size you need and one that will fit your projector since they can make really big ones for professional projectors and labs.

I think Hollywood film company is still open… here's there web page for split reels…

http://www.hollywoodfilmco.com/HfcCatalogP08.html