Returning to S8 After 3 Years...Best Labs & Transfer Houses?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

super8film

Returning to S8 After 3 Years...Best Labs & Transfer Houses?

Post by super8film »

Hi everyone.

Well, after being away from the S8 hobby for a few years I'm finally getting the itch to pull out the 7008PRO and start filming again. I've been trying to catch up on all of the S8-related news that I've missed out on over the last few years, and it looks like the biggest news (for me, at least) is Kodak's discontinuation of Ektachrome 100D, effectively ending the availability of a color reversal stock for S8 filmmakers.

As I never opted for telecine and stuck to viewing my films on the 'ole Bell & Howell projector, the loss of S8 color reversal really hurts. On the other hand, it kind of leads me to thinking about shooting some color negative and having it professionally transferred. I've wanted to try color negative for a number of years, so this might be the right time to give it a try. Granted, it's certainly not an inexpensive proposition, so are there a few labs and/or transfer facilities (in the USA) that are generally regarded as providing reasonable rates for good quality processing and/or HD transfers? I know some facilities offer film/processing/transfer packages, so I'd be open to that option as well. I'm not looking for anything fancy...a one light transfer done on a standby basis to save a little money would be fine with me. I'm already aware of Pro8mm, but I'm sure there are other labs and transfer facilities out there that offer comparable or even better prices.

Thanks!
mr8mm

Re: Returning to S8 After 3 Years...Best Labs & Transfer Hou

Post by mr8mm »

Color reversal super 8 is not completely dead. Agfa 200D is available in super 8 and 16mm from several sources. In the USA this color reversal is available from Spectra Film and Video(818 761 4545) , Pro 8mm and John Schwind. Spectra is a good lab and transfer house. The price of the S8 runs from $19/cart(J.S.) up. Spectra and PRO8 offer various packages with film plus transfer. Spectra is slightly less than PRO8. Check www.internationalfilmbroker.com for prices on S8 film.
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

Hey Congrats for coming back to super 8!

You can check out our film transfers over at FRAME DISCREET -- http://www.framediscreet.com.
We have a small studio doing custom scans of super 8 / reg 8 / 16mm / S16m in 2k raw data scans.

We work with filmmakers and archivists all across North America and overseas.

Created and supported by cinematographers.

All the best in your film journeys!
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

The new Vision3 films are a bonus for S8. If you're looking for cost effective transfers check out:
www.silentfilmworks.com
Go to the samples page, there is a color negative sample clip
Reborn member since Sept 2003
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

I'm with you brother. Just coming back after a few year's hiatus. Wish I'd been paying attention: I would've bought a couple cases of E100D and put it on ice! I do have a few carts of E64T, and a rare stash 160 Sound film on ice. I"ll get some 200D from John Schwind soon. Like you, I love to get out the projector and watch the film they way it was meant to be!
Cheers
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.