Locating Canon repair manuals-as difficult as the Holy Grail

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

JeremyC

Locating Canon repair manuals-as difficult as the Holy Grail

Post by JeremyC »

Hi, I'm after repair/technical manuals for the Canon models 814, 1014 and 1014XL-S series of cameras. I posted months ago enquiring about these manuals but they appear to be very, very difficult to get hold of. I recently contacted, again, the various websites that hold manuals for cameras (e.g. Oldtimercameras, Apecity, etc, etc) and, helpful as these guys are, they couldn't help me beyond the instruction manuals for these cameras (the complicated wiring on these cameras both the 814 and 1014 makes it almost impossible to at least reverse engineer a wiring/cct diagram).

This has almost become a quest equal to finding the holy grail (cue quips from Monty Python) while the repair manual for the Canon DS8 Scoopic camera is now available and a while back I went back and forth with Canon UK about these manuals who then went back and forth with Canon Japan and the result was that Canon UK came back to me saying that they 'couldn't' release such information upon which another poster here suggested that was perhaps because they no longer had them.

So if anyone reads this and it happens they may have heard/seen/handled such elusive and/or rare items I hope you will take pity on me and share any scraps of information you might have.
marc

Re: Locating Canon repair manuals-as difficult as the Holy G

Post by marc »

They are typically on micro fiche. Some companies sell them and I believe even Canon can provide them for you. But they are very technical and not for the amateur.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Thanks Marc,it would be good to find such micro fiches if they exist but the various websites selling technical manuals for super 8 and 16mm cameras don't have them and I've corresponded with them as well as corresponding with Canon. I'm an engineer and spent many years servicing down to component level broadcast cameras from plumbicons (Mark VIII Marconi' anyone) through to CCD cameras so I am used to handling highly complex technology but these canon cameras are very difficult to reverse engineer a cct/wiring diagram because of the multitude of wiring but I've been able to replace things like transistors by utilising near equivalents as well as replacing 30 year old electrolytic caps.

This difficulty in pining down such old publications which is why I'm putting up this plea hoping it might jog someone's memory.
marc

Post by marc »

I don't know if this information is still relevant since it was obtained several years ago, but try this: INFOTECH box 370884 Denver, Colorado 80237-0884 (303) 752 9270 It might just be series of exploded diagrams and parts listings and not a lot of instruction.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
marc

Post by marc »

You can also try Craig Camera:
http://www.craigcamera.com/