Zenit Quarz 1x8C-2

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jean

Post by jean »

Heck, there really is no perfect camera! This is sad, when I saw this thread first, I thought maybe these quartz cameras could be, but with that extra lens behind the mount..
have fun!
coors

Post by coors »

Hi Jean,
Were you able to get the lens off of your Quarz DS8? Did it have the same "lens behind the lens" as the Quarz Super8 model?
You may have already looked at it, but heres some footage from a Quarz Super8 camera. It's in the "movies" section of this site: ftp://ftp.filmshooting.com/upload/video/
Look in the mpeg folder... and it's the "FoFRalley..." clip. Seems to be a lot of lens flare or something... either from the camera's lens or the transfer. Other than that, I really like what I see here!

Owen
Jean Poirier

Post by Jean Poirier »

Hello Owen. Judging by the photos the lens in the DS8 seems to be more inside the camera body. I am afraid of trying to dismantle the camera not knowing what I am doing. I will try some fomapan next saturday and maybe buy the C-2 to shooot anamorphic. Thanks for the mpeg site. Jean
DTNethery

Re:

Post by DTNethery »

Old Uncle Barry wrote:On the browser column of this website where it says 'Great Ideas',this will give you several sub headings and mine is in there referring to Quartz/anamorphics.
Bumping up an old thread because I recently obtained Zenit Quarz 1x8C-2 and want to have a go at shooting with an anamorphic lens.

Because the old FilmShooting.com site is inactive the referenced "Great Ideas" link that Old Uncle Barry referred to is not available ... except through the good ol' Internet Wayback Machine, so for anyone else interested in this topic I am posting the article referred to by Old Uncle Barry:

http://web.archive.org/web/200407022011 ... phnews.php
Super-8 Anamorphic news!
By "Old Uncle Barry", June 2002

Not again! I hear you groan, but never mind this may prove useful to anyone out there who wishes to shoot the stuff AND you have the cheap but cheerful Quartz S8 clockwork camera.

You may or may not realise it but the zoom lens unscrews from the body leaving you with a 'c' mount thread.Then you have the fixed focus lens. If you then look through the viewfinder you will be surprised to see-a perfectly focused frame in the time ole fixed focus fashion. The zoom lens is in fact a specially chosen supplementary focusing lens and very good it is too.

This got me thinking about the scope lens I have,and a very old 'c' mount lens from a 16mm camera. On this particular lens (a 50mm switar) the mount can be removed by loosening the tiny screws from the focusing ring leaving you with the bare optic free mount. The outer diameter of this mount just happened to be the exact size of the rear element of the scope lens.

Being unable to screw them together the idea of a collar naturally came up, but it needed to be very rigid as the scope lens is 5 inches long.

Thinking on the idea of a circular screw clip (known as Jubilee Clips in the UK) that automobile engine hoses are secured with seemed likely.

Offering the two together and loosely tightening them up I screwed the assembly onto the quartz body and Bingo! it worked superbly. Aligning the 'verticals' on this assembly was the next step so that every time the lens was fitted it ended up in exactly the same place,and vertical,every time.

When shooting one just focuses the scope lens for accuracy and you are away! No brackets, nothing! You see the scope lens acts also as a supplementary lens as does the original zoom AND the camera ends up being only about 25mm longer than the zoom lens. So, if you have one of these cameras and have considered filming in this exciting format than borrow a lens and try it out.

For anyone else interested there is also this older topic , where Fernando Morales mentions using step up rings to adapt an anamorphic lens to the Zenit Quarz 1x8C-2 :
morales72 wrote: I guess you can almost use any anamorphic lens with the Quarz. I use a couple of step up rings, c-mount to series V, series V to VI and VI to VII. I wasn't able to get the V to VII, still, it works great! Mine is a Kowa 2x for B&H but I would like to get a 1.5x or 1.33x.

The a-lens is complementary to the prime, so you don't have to remove nothing but the complementary zoom and enjoy!
By the way, I want to publicly thank RCBasher for his inspiration and personal help with DIY telecine.

Best regards,

Morales.
Photos of the Fernando Morales set up can be seen here:

http://zenitquarzcameras.blogspot.com/

I'd be interested in hearing from any other Zenit Quarz 1x8C-2 owners who have tried this and if you have link to anamorphic footage captured with the Zenit Quarz 1x8C-2 I'd like to see the footage.