Stephen Broomer's new experimental UltraPan8 3.1 film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Nicholas Kovats

Stephen Broomer's new experimental UltraPan8 3.1 film

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Local Toronto experimental filmmaker, Stephen Broomer, has completed a new ultrawide film work titled "Ravine". Stephen utilized a variation of UltraPan8 2.8 which utilizes the full 16mm width of Double Super 8 film stock with Super 8 pulldown resulting in an aspect ratio of 3.1,
i.e. https://vimeo.com/69339484#at=0

"Ravine (2013)

In Toronto's Nordheimer Ravine, an environment of thick brush and dead wood flattens into fields of colour. Its paths lead to Winston Churchill Park, where the entrance to a city reservoir overlooks a green vale. This film was made in the UltraPan8 format. It was composed using a 3.1:1 widescreen frame. The film was processed at Niagara Custom Lab. The resulting footage was digitized by John Gledhill of Bit Works Inc. The camera, modified by Jean-Louis Seguin, was provided by Nicholas Kovats. Post-production was completed at the Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto.

niagaracustomlab.com/
lift.ca/
bitworks.org/
facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm"
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
etimh

Re: Stephen Broomer's new experimental UltraPan8 3.1 film

Post by etimh »

Great piece by Broomer--wonderful subject and context for the UltraPan8 format.

I've been doing some nature shooting lately and I wish I had this camera and setup to bring something special to it. Maybe someday.

Continued congratulations to you Nicholas and all of the filmmakers using UltraPan.

Tim
woods01

Post by woods01 »

Really nice piece! You've created quite the little community around the UltraPan 8 format. If there were more cities like Toronto with places like Niagara Custom Lab, LIFT and Frame Discrete I think there would be a lot more film being shot.
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Yeah nice clip - congrats :-)

I noticed in some parts like at 1:28 the outside edges of the frame are out of focus -- do you need a special lense for ultra pan 8 -- at 3.1:1 presumably it's reaching right out to the edges of the lense ??

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Nicholas Kovats

Thanks, Tim. Whereabouts are you located exactly?
etimh wrote:Great piece by Broomer--wonderful subject and context for the UltraPan8 format.

I've been doing some nature shooting lately and I wish I had this camera and setup to bring something special to it. Maybe someday.

Continued congratulations to you Nicholas and all of the filmmakers using UltraPan.

Tim
Nicholas Kovats
Nicholas Kovats

Hi Woods01,

Thank you and I would agree that local Toronto filmmakers are blessed indeed. There is room for improvement but it is quite amazing how busy the "local" film community really is. Niagara is still processing invoices from 2 years ago!

quote="woods01"]Really nice piece! You've created quite the little community around the UltraPan 8 format. If there were more cities like Toronto with places like Niagara Custom Lab, LIFT and Frame Discrete I think there would be a lot more film being shot.[/quote]
Nicholas Kovats
Nicholas Kovats

Hi Scotness,

Thanks and yes you are correct in observing that the Bolex lenses mount has not been re-centered for the UP8 3.1 format in the original prototype. Remember that UP8 3.1 DS8 has a wider frame than Super 16mm, i.e. 13mm. A 2nd UP8 3.1 has been recently shipped to an enthusiast in Italy with a 13x viewfinder, Bolex Bayonet Mount and a correctly re-centered lens mount. To add confusion to the matter he has renamed his camera UltraPan16. I have always felt that the proper technical nomenclature should reflect the historical lineage of the format with respect to the smallest dimension, that is the vertical hence 8 as in 8mm. C'est la vie. It is all good when the final intention is to keep film in the public eye and in use.

There is a very exciting world's first forthcoming in the UP8 2.8 format by another Canadian filmmaker. I am chomping at the bit. Also more stuff forthcoming from my editing bay.

Cheers!

Nicholas
Scotness wrote:Yeah nice clip - congrats :-)

I noticed in some parts like at 1:28 the outside edges of the frame are out of focus -- do you need a special lense for ultra pan 8 -- at 3.1:1 presumably it's reaching right out to the edges of the lense ??

Scot
Nicholas Kovats