Kodak stops production of Ektachrome 100D

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

BAC

Re: Kodak stops production of Ektachrome 100D

Post by BAC »

Some of the articles I've read recently about the bankruptcy have said that there are several interested buyers for the consumer film division (not cine film) and they should be announcing that sale in the next few months. It will be interesting to see what comes of that.
peaceman

Post by peaceman »

Avichrome 200 D has way more contrast and saturation than VNF had. It is less vivid and more grainy than E100D, but in a wonderful way. You should see it projected -- I can't describe how much better it looks there! Most amazing is that there seems to be *always* enough light and also that the color balance and/or mixed light are really picked up well.
The ugly iPhone-Transfer I posted on vimeo shows that the light in an oven is enough to shoot the frech rolls in there. You can even see an iPad display clearly under a single 60W bulb. Pretty mcuh at the end, there are a few seconds were "Little big Planet" is running on our projector in the living room -- even that looks good.

And yes, Kalle was shooting Tri-X -- it is a 401 though ;)
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

peaceman wrote:Here is a test roll -- captured off the wall with my iPhone, so not great quality. So much better in projection. :)

https://vimeo.com/61079295
cool but i can't watch this since AdobeFlash updated my movie watching software to the extent that everything freezes now after a couple of seconds. So much for state of the art technology. But what i did pick up on was the no-flicker in your capture, how does that work please - does your phone camera have something in it which, uh, does something with fps rates? Film looks great from what little I can see of it at the moment ;)

. . . finally saw it :) it's like magic - real colour film again!!!

i want some!

:mrgreen:
grainy

Post by grainy »

I love how the avichrome looks. This is great news. I wonder about its avilability in the USA?
G
Wade

Post by Wade »

grainy wrote:I wonder about its avilability in the USA?
G
I believe Wittner was going to come out with this in the fall 2013? Based on my lab's inquirery to Wittner the price for a 50 ft cartridge with processing would be about $50 USD if my lab sold it here in the USA. Compare that to about $30 for film and processing for 7285 per 50 ft cart. I'm not wild about using Estar, but other than that Avichrome looks great!!
Wade
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

mr_x wrote:cool but i can't watch this since AdobeFlash updated my movie watching software to the extent that everything freezes now after a couple of seconds.
You should try the "download"-button...
This space was left intenionally blank.
eightmm

Post by eightmm »

Thanks very much Peaceman for your appreciated info. And also for your contribution concerning this new Aviphot film in the latest Schmalfilm magazine! It keeps up good spirits for us this spring. I do have a question about how useful the film will be in the several cameras we use. Can the Agfa film be used in the cameras that are suitable for 40 and 160 ASA? Since the film itself is a 200 ASA daylight stock. What settings did you use in your Nikon?

Best regards, Paul
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

jpolzfuss wrote:
mr_x wrote:cool but i can't watch this since AdobeFlash updated my movie watching software to the extent that everything freezes now after a couple of seconds.
You should try the "download"-button...
yes i know - but two days ago i never had any problem with online videos, now i have to download them?

thanks

R
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Thank"s Peaceman , Film looks good for a try out ! do you know what it would look like Pushed / and pulled ?

Put alot of euros for me/ into geting 100 d still at the old Price , Happy that I did this ,as what some 'people' are now charging ,

May be there still hope ?
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

I've been waiting many, many long years for somebody, ANYBODY to come up with a reversal film suitable for shooting indoors. Yeah, there was that 64T crap, but it was too slow and too grainy to use for anything at all. 200T, T-grain film with a thin base please! In the mean time, I don't shoot any color reversal because the only stocks that have been available in my time would only cover me for 10% of my shooting environments.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
peaceman

Post by peaceman »

I gave 1-stop-pulling a very quick test with my first test stock, bit there was no great gain wrt grain. This is a vague first impression though only -- defeinitely should be tried out further. Fact is that Push/Pull is rather exepnsive for most people and thus I focused on testing "standard E6" results.

Wado1942: The material is 200D, not 200T -- but still looks rather good when shot with Tungsten Light. Especially mixed light situations are a strength of this material. Give it a try once it is available. :)
doug

Post by doug »

Peaceman, this is great news.... I hope you don't mind I added your link to my blog http://www.filmisfine.co :)
It certainly looks beautiful colour. And as you say lots of shadow detail etc. Am I right Wittner are offering this in 16mm as well ? Hope so. 200 is a pretty useful kind of speed.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
peaceman

Post by peaceman »

The shadow detail is like 8-fold better when projected. :)
Yes, 16mm will come, probably even first. I have two rolls 16mm 2R here that I'll go and try on the weekend.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Today my local lab just announced a new Agfa 100 speed color slide film. I don't know much about it's look yet but plan to pick some up. But maybe we will see 100ASA S8 Agfa film in the future as well? I wish whoever is running Agfa would just load S8 carts like they used to.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

Tscan wrote:Today my local lab just announced a new Agfa 100 speed color slide film. I don't know much about it's look yet but plan to pick some up. But maybe we will see 100ASA S8 Agfa film in the future as well? I wish whoever is running Agfa would just load S8 carts like they used to.
Is that AgfaPhoto CT Precisa 100? If so, that's not film made by Agfa but by Fuji (Provia B-grade?) sold under the name of AgfaPhoto.