Kodak Negative Film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gaugefilm

Kodak Negative Film

Post by gaugefilm »

I'm going to shoot some film over xmas with negative stock, some 200T and 500T. In the last 6 years I've never felt compelled to turn to neg but with the discontinuation of 100D I thought I would give it a try. I'm fairly sure I shouldn't attempt to process this stuff myself so my question is where should I get this processed and transfered in the UK? Recommendations?
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
Pj

Re: Kodak Negative Film

Post by Pj »

As far a I know nobody in the UK can automatically process this film which is a shame. The Widescreen Centre and Blue Cinetech send their films to Germany.

P
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

I guess I should have expected that really. What's the best (and cheapest) way to go about doing it. I presume it's Andec they send the films too. Would it be best to contact andec directly, rather than going through Widescreen/Blue?

I bet I wont get the films back for a month :(
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
Pj

Post by Pj »

I'd say Blue Cinetech is the better option, it can take about 10 days. Call them and see when they need to have the films by.

P
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

Blue don't seem to offer neg digital transfer. They only seem to be able to scan reversal films. To save on postage it would be great to find one company that could do it all, preferably in Europe somewhere. I'd probably send +10 neg carts at a time to make the postage worth it.
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

Kev, send them to Andec direct you will have them back within a couple of weeks!
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

Brilliant, do you have any examples of their telecine work on your youtube page?
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Andersens Tears wrote:Kev, send them to Andec direct you will have them back within a couple of weeks!
I agree. They are by far the best option. I fact the girl at The Widescreen Center shop in London told me they used Andec for processing, so...
aj

Post by aj »

It seems Andec has an affordable color-neg processing tariff.
http://andecfilm.de/en/e_s8_entw.htm

Where other easily go into Euro 20 per film.

Seems many retailers cannot be bothered with updating their websites. Some even advertise 64T, still.
Retail on Vision frequently goes well into Euro 20-ies While some have below Euro 15 prices. I suppose they have more or less the same wholesale price.
Kind regards,

André
Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

gaugefilm wrote:Brilliant, do you have any examples of their telecine work on your youtube page?
Sorry for hijacking this question. Here's a fairly recent example of a film I shot on 200T, processed and telecined by Andec:
http://vimeo.com/47719815

As for turnaround time, my experience suggests that getting your films back in two weeks is a bit optimistic. My last negative order (see film mentioned above) took so long that I was already convinced the cartridges must have got lost in the post on their way to Berlin. The processed films turned up back in Bristol about five weeks after having sent off the carts.

In terms of Andec's pricing: definitely worthwhile saving up a few cartridges, then sending the whole lot. Delivery charges are quite steep for small orders, although fairly reasonable for slightly larger ones.

Charlie
Andersens Tears

gaugefilm wrote:Brilliant, do you have any examples of their telecine work on your youtube page?
Sorry Kev, I don't - I have never had any neg transfered by them only reversal. I think that can only do you SD transfer at the moment - but I could be wrong! The last time I had stuff transfered by them was in 2009! I have been getting HD transfers ever since elsewhere!
Andersens Tears

Charlie Blackfield wrote:
As for turnaround time, my experience suggests that getting your films back in two weeks is a bit optimistic. My last negative order (see film mentioned above) took so long that I was already convinced the cartridges must have got lost in the

Charlie
I was actually referring to just the processing of negative at Andec, which I have done on many, many occasions and I have always had my work back within a couple of weeks. You just need to observe their deadline for receiving orders as they run the neg bath every Wednesday I believe - so you you need to send your work to be there by the 5pm cut off on the Tuesday before.

I have never had any negative work transfered by them before so I can't comment on that.

Sorry to hear that you had to wait so long. I have always had the experience of a fast and efficient service from Andec, as I have used them myself regularly - I would not recommend them or quote the 2 week turnaround otherwise.
Andersens Tears

MIKI-814 wrote:
Andersens Tears wrote:Kev, send them to Andec direct you will have them back within a couple of weeks!
I agree. They are by far the best option. I fact the girl at The Widescreen Center shop in London told me they used Andec for processing, so...
I found this out back in 2003 - and that was the last time I ever sent anything to The Widescreen Centre for processing!
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

Thanks guys, I'll definitely send to Andec for processing then!

It would be good to get these transfered in HD, any ideas where I can send them for that in the UK/ Europe? I don't mind sending them off to a range of different places for different prices this first time around to decide who to use in future. I'd like to test the water... Any recommended HD neg services out there?

Cheers
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
Andersens Tears

Hi Kev, well all the neg stuff on my youtube page was transfered by Uppsala Bildteknik here in Sweden. There are a lot of places that do HD scanning but not all of them will do a good job with colour neg as it needs good colour correction.