Kodak stops production of Ektachrome 100D

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

wado1942

Re: Kodak stops production of Ektachrome 100D

Post by wado1942 »

Filtering the projector lens won't cut it. You can't correct an improper transfer function with a simple filter.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
marc

Post by marc »

I am referring to home viewing via the projector.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

Me too. It doesn't matter where you put the filter, you could correct the mid-tones, but the shadows and highlights will be screwy. You could correct the highlights, but the shadows would be screwy. It would take scanning and really messing with the curves in a computer to get the color right, but it still wouldn't look as good as shooting negative and printing or shooting reversal.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

marc wrote:
wado1942 wrote:
It's not as simple as filtering the film with a complimentary color. It's the film itself that takes on the yellow cast and your exposure latitude in different colors is significantly shifted. I suppose it would be possible to partially cancel the difference with a filter to allow better results from color correction in post. Personally, I'd just find a different source for real reversal film if you must use reversal at all.
You could filter the projector lens.
At length, no doubt I will try all these things because teleciné - although fine & useful - has little to offer me: I like playing about with film, teleciné stops my fun.

But yes, it's going to be a delicate balancing act with compromises along the way - if you bleed the orange out of a negative-positive you are going to dull down your reds and possibly pale out the yellows. Interesting to see what folks come up with down the line though :)

Film is dead - long live film!

Ric
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

super8man wrote:If you have not sold your movie camera collection yet, you may want to consider doing so.
This is nonsense unless you only shoot Super8 for shooting colour reversal. There are more and more B&W reversal films, at least in Europe (wonderful Adox in Super8 cartridges the last example) and I'm not planning at all to give up Super8 filmshooting. Also, more and more people are experiencing the negative experience since most newcomers have never had a projector and (at least here) it's the same price for transferring reversal or negative.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Why do you feel so? On the contrary I think it is time to remove the dust off many Super8 cameras.
With negative Vision3 line of 200T and 50D all 40/160 cameras can be used now. Add to it 500T (which should be metered manually anyway if used at night) and we have a full line of stock.
As for B&W, there is still reversal. I almost gave up and was pissed when Kodak stopped Plus-X which was the only stock I used.
I got over it :) I actually wish they produce a negative film stock in B&W for Super 8.

I have a Eumig 128 XL (Sound Version) which has been waiting for something like the Vision3 50D. Another subject, but I think this camera kicks A** over the Canon 1014-XLS.
How about the Bauer 10E Makro? Bauer A512?
This is a revolution my friend :)
super8man wrote:Sadly, as I recall, they got rid of K40 since we "needed" "professional" film. Apparently K40 was holding everyone back from realizing their dream to become a professional. Then we had E64T that was "officially" approved for use in cameras since 64 ASA was a standard ASA rating despite the physical incapability of 40/160 cameras to meter that film. Alas, now we see the final nail with the ending of the last color reversal film. It was fun while it lasted. But, yes, K40 was the beginning of the end. If you have not sold your movie camera collection yet, you may want to consider doing so.
marc

Post by marc »

As long as Kodak is offering 50D in S8, I think John Schwind should pursue it as an option for Regular 8mm.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

I really like this Film the 100 D/ colors it gives in E6 DIY processing ! I try to stock up as much as euros will let me now that this is the last batch , I am sure the price will go up , with dealers ?
I really hope this is not the end for color E6 processing and that somebody out there fills the gap at not to big a price hike ?
For this was and is the art of shooting film painting with light ! for me ?
It really feels like a bad break up / and its only been two years , No one in my life can understand my sadness
Pj

Post by Pj »

I like the idea of 'inventing' or making your own film. I know people who make their own black and white emulsion using basic ingredients of silver nitrate, potassium bromide, water, and shop-bought gelatine used for puddings. I'm sure it isn't really that difficult to make colour film. The technology is simple, but making film to high standards is something quite different, after all Kodak have had more than 100 years of practice.

P
BAC

Post by BAC »

I just bought some film from The Impossible Project for my Polaroid SX-70 camera. Wouldn't it be great if some Kodak employees do the same thing to keep film going? I would think the market for reversal film would be greater than Polaroid but as long as there is still someone like Fuji making reversal film I don't see that happening. Maybe we'll start seeing Velvia 100 in super 8 and Regular 8mm from Pro 8mm or Wittner.

If you haven't heard of the impossible project here is a link to their web site:
http://shop.the-impossible-project.com/shop/film
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

nikonr10 wrote:No one in my life can understand my sadness
Oh but we do, nikonr10, we do.
Wade

Post by Wade »

I was at the lab I usually deal with today getting one of my last cartridges of 7285 processed. This probably isn't really new news, but the lab said their Kodak rep suggested they put an order in for more, and they ordered both 16mm and Super8. Apparently the rep said Kodak under estimated the demand since they were out of stock in a few days after announcing discontinuance. They expected supply would last several months. While they will not sell to individuals, if you are a re-seller and can market the film, perhaps Kodak will get enough orders to consider another run.

This is what the lab told me....just sayin.
Wade
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I called to ask about a special order and the response was "what part of discontinued don't you understand?" so it sounds unlikely.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
fairchild

Post by fairchild »

Tscan wrote:I called to ask about a special order and the response was "what part of discontinued don't you understand?" so it sounds unlikely.
That seems a little harsh...jeez :roll:
Wade

Post by Wade »

Tscan wrote:I called to ask about a special order and the response was "what part of discontinued don't you understand?" so it sounds unlikely.
The owner of the lab was pesimistic that the order would ever be filled. The guy that actually spoke to the rep said that Kodak was not planning on opening it up to individual sales, but only providing large amounts to re-sellers--maybe special orders? Maybe something changed at Kodak? Again, I'm sure it would only happen if Kodak got enough orders to make it worth their while.
Wade