Double 8mm roll...actual length?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Tommy

Double 8mm roll...actual length?

Post by Tommy »

The 25 ft rolls of double 8mm camera film....what is the actual length of this film? In other words, how much extra footage is there over the 25 ft for threading and fogging protection?
jpolzfuss

Re: Double 8mm roll...actual length?

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

I doubt that there's a standard for this. However e.g. it looks like the "Quarz"-cameras from the USSR expect a leader of approx. 1m before counting down from 7.5m to 0m...
BTW: the Fomapan R100 has got 10m/33ft of film on the "7.5m/25ft"-reel.

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
marc

Post by marc »

The last time that I talked to John Schwind the 25 ft roll was 29 ft. And the 100 ft roll was 102 ft. He said, "There's no such thing as a free lunch". To which I replied, " I'm not looking for a free lunch, just information, thank you!"
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
beaunizo

Post by beaunizo »

This ancient Kodak film 70mm 50ft
got two times 2.5 ft extra as leader...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-Linagraph ... 7675.l2557
So you could suppose that this is still common to spend a bit extra extra to make sure the user gets the purchased length. 16mm takes a bit less as the reel is much narrower?

I'll measure my Fomapan 10 meter DS8 as soon as it is fully exposed and DIY processed :) It is halfway now.
Now selling in classifieds:
New-old-stock classic ciné projector bulbs
CIR Catozzo Splicers and tape S8
Beaulieu Nizo accessoiries/parts
Daylight 8/8 CINÉ processing tank Superior bulk film
BAC

Post by BAC »

I just measured an old unused roll of Double 8mm Kodachrome II and it came to 32' 7", or just short of 10 meters. As long as there is enough leader on each end to block the light from reaching the film when you flip the reel you should be ok. I always load in a changing bag so that's not an issue. The other question you should be asking is how many feet do most cameras need to reach the starting point of zero feet on the cameras footage counter. That should be the point where you have run enough leader through to get past any light leaks. A quick test with a Bolex C8 came to 3' 4" or about 1 meter. Another test with a Bolex D8L gave the same result. But who waits until the zero to start shooting, not me.
marc

Post by marc »

Yes Kodak's standard was to add 4 ft. on each end for plenty of fog protection. That is not how J.S. sells it. I guess he had to cut costs some how.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

It's simple: 25' (7.5 m) reels are in fact 33' (10 m)for the fogged tails ....x 2 when slitted. Other shorter measures are tricks, not what the original format has always been 8)
marc

Post by marc »

MIKI-814 wrote:It's simple: 25' (7.5 m) reels are in fact 33' (10 m)for the fogged tails ....x 2 when slitted. Other shorter measures are tricks, not what the original format has always been 8)
Sure, If it were still "openly" distributed by Kodak that would be the case. I can't speak for fomopan or other manufacturers, but according to J.S. he does not supply it this way.
aj

Post by aj »

MIKI-814 wrote:It's simple: 25' (7.5 m) reels are in fact 33' (10 m)for the fogged tails ....x 2 when slitted. Other shorter measures are tricks, not what the original format has always been 8)
That is a lot extra, 33%. Loading in the dark will give you just near 1/3 extra at no charge. Or 1/6 it you do that on the start only. Never know were you have to change direction :)

Cutting up 400 ft then gives you only 12 rolls rather than 16.
Kind regards,

André
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I remember around 63'
- 64 that Bell & Howell sold double 8mm roll film cameras that came with a re-loadable magazine which made the mid-run flip easy to do....just flip the magazine....I never realized that users got some extra film with this method. Anyone use one of these?
71er

Post by 71er »

I can't speak for fomopan ...
Fomapan sells 10 m on the reel - says so on the box. As the distance between perforation holes isn't as big as on Super 8 and you might be filming on 16 fps you are getting some good projection time out of it.
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

marc wrote:
Sure, If it were still "openly" distributed by Kodak that would be the case. I can't speak for fomopan or other manufacturers, but according to J.S. he does not supply it this way.
That's not what he told me... anyway I can assure that JS's reels are 10 meters long. At least they were last year. Wittner's is another thing...
marc

Post by marc »

Was that for the color or the black and white? Was it Kodak stock or fomopan?
einzelhaft83

Post by einzelhaft83 »

Tommy wrote:I remember around 63'
- 64 that Bell & Howell sold double 8mm roll film cameras that came with a re-loadable magazine which made the mid-run flip easy to do....just flip the magazine....I never realized that users got some extra film with this method. Anyone use one of these?
I have a Sears Ted Williams edition of that. I'm sure it's B&H made, looks just like theirs. I haven't run any film through it, but with an empty cartridge, it stops itself about 2 ft past the 0 mark. It also has a "start" marking about 2 ft before the 25. I would guess with current lengths, the film would run out before the camera stops.

There is an old roll with it. It is on a blue spool, I don't believe I have ever seen one that color. I'll load that and try it.
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

marc wrote:Was that for the color or the black and white? Was it Kodak stock or fomopan?
E100D, Plus-X/Tri-X and the old 50D, all from John Schwind.

Regarding Fomapan, it is the very same although being European I buy it to other sources. Never knew JS selled Fomapan.

Seems that all the wrong reels of the 8 mm-film-world end up in your hands. Sorry for that.