D76 for Kodak Tri-X?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mr_x

D76 for Kodak Tri-X?

Post by mr_x »

Hi,

Had a nightmare shoot with a Krasnogorsk-3 recently so a lot of the film is probably fogged (multiple film jam). Can I process the rest in D76 as a negative, just to get a peek at what the camera has actually filmed please?

Thanks,

Ric
beamascope

Re: D76 for Kodak Tri-X?

Post by beamascope »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40476451@N ... 156857016/

This flicker set shows me and a buddy doing just what you mentioned. It was 30 year old Tri X or Plus X so we shot a 100' reel and processed it in D76 in my basement darkroom used a stop bath of water then fixed it. Crude transfer to video and turn it into a positive using Premiere Pro.

Here is the finished film
https://vimeo.com/26202275
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

this gave good overall results especially in gray scale, for super-8 Tri-X processed "as negative" (Kodak 7278 stock fresh stock processed by year 2003)

D76 (stock or 1+0) = 12 minutes at 20ºC
wash = 12 minutes
fixer (stock or 1+0) = 20 minutes
final wash = 30 minutes
photo-flo (agepon) = 1 minute
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

beamascope wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/40476451@N ... 156857016/

This flicker set shows me and a buddy doing just what you mentioned. It was 30 year old Tri X or Plus X so we shot a 100' reel and processed it in D76 in my basement darkroom used a stop bath of water then fixed it. Crude transfer to video and turn it into a positive using Premiere Pro.

That's pretty darn cool! I think I've been here before (absent minded) & that I usually overcook the development. I have gallons of Kodak fixer - milky stuff - years old but it still works ok. Why are your frames (movie) nigh perfect towards the centre then fading out towards the edges please? Still looks brilliant :)

Thanks -

Ric
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Daniel wrote:this gave good overall results especially in gray scale, for super-8 Tri-X processed "as negative" (Kodak 7278 stock fresh stock processed by year 2003)

D76 (stock or 1+0) = 12 minutes at 20ºC
wash = 12 minutes
fixer (stock or 1+0) = 20 minutes
final wash = 30 minutes
photo-flo (agepon) = 1 minute
Great news - I lost 1/3 of the film through jamming and the rest may be partially exposed, so I didn't want to lavish a full Foma kit on the remains of my grand day out which ended in perplexed frustration. But I think (hope) I have the K-3 sussed now - it looked good, sounded good, then jammed :-o . It wasn't properly loaded but I think I have the knack now.

Ric
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

mr_x wrote:
beamascope wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/40476451@N ... 156857016/

That's pretty darn cool! I think I've been here before (absent minded) & that I usually overcook the development. I have gallons of Kodak fixer - milky stuff - years old but it still works ok. Why are your frames (movie) nigh perfect towards the centre then fading out towards the edges please? Still looks brilliant :)

We shot and processed this in one day and were not expecting anything so we kept the story simple assuming it would just all come out black on the old film. I would say actually ALL the issues you see are due to the transfer to video. The projector only does 24fps while my video camera does only 30fps and it was shot off a white piece of drawing paper for a screen. When you look at the negative by itself it looks surprisingly good. I've even considered sending this off for professional transfer just to see how it really looks.
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Mr_x said: That's pretty darn cool! I think I've been here before (absent minded) & that I usually overcook the development. I have gallons of Kodak fixer - milky stuff - years old but it still works ok. Why are your frames (movie) nigh perfect towards the centre then fading out towards the edges please? Still looks brilliant :)

beamascope wrote:We shot and processed this in one day and were not expecting anything so we kept the story simple assuming it would just all come out black on the old film. I would say actually ALL the issues you see are due to the transfer to video. The projector only does 24fps while my video camera does only 30fps and it was shot off a white piece of drawing paper for a screen. When you look at the negative by itself it looks surprisingly good. I've even considered sending this off for professional transfer just to see how it really looks.
You must be in the USA for 30fps? It's a shame you can't get a better ratio. In the UK I can get a 24fps double blade projector up to 25 to synch a 1/50th second video cam. Will know by tonight what the Krasnogorsk saw, can't wait; decanted 50 feet of the unspoiled footage last night ready for loading this evening - I've got all the chemicals for development ;)

Fingers crossed!
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Gave it +10 minutes @ 22 degrees C in D76. Cut off an excess length & checked it out - frames where they should be & good looking negative imagery, found that a darned difficult camera to load. The fixer was Unifix. Boy am I glad I persevered & had a second go at loading the K-3 or I would have had 100 feet of dummy film to play with. I can actually evaluate the camera / lens now when I get this film dried, film-cleaned & through the projector.

Thanks,

Ric