Cool Kodak Super 8mm logo

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Scotness

Cool Kodak Super 8mm logo

Post by Scotness »

Just saw this - I think it's pretty cool -- it's not available on a t-shirt is it?

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
MattWalters

Re: Cool Kodak Super 8mm logo

Post by MattWalters »

I don't know how high res the original file you have it, but why not just take it to one of those custom tshirt shops - if you don't have one around you there are ebay sellers who will do one offs as well :)
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

where'd you see that?
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

Kodak themselves should make this into a tshirt. They need all the cash they can get.
Static 8

Post by Static 8 »

Not cool at all, terrible!
I'd like to have a yellow Kodachrome t-shirt instead.

m
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I'd like to have a yellow Kodachrome t-shirt instead.
Dwayne's photo is selling them.

http://dwaynesphoto.com/
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

I have to agree with Static 8! Not cool. The image draws on nostalgia to much! It relegates super 8 to the flower power past! We need a logo that presents super 8 as a modern, worth while medium that contemporaries can turn to now. Super 8 needs a face lift!

However maybe I'm over thinking this :)
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
Will2

Post by Will2 »

gaugefilm wrote:I have to agree with Static 8! Not cool. The image draws on nostalgia to much! It relegates super 8 to the flower power past! We need a logo that presents super 8 as a modern, worth while medium that contemporaries can turn to now. Super 8 needs a face lift!

However maybe I'm over thinking this
Since we're thinking about it...

Super 8's best marketing option would be the retro angle just like Holga cameras did a couple years ago. It's not a modern medium, not even close. Cameras look 70's and 80's and no new ones will be made. Smart thing to do would be to have it placed on Mad Men or some other retro show and actually do a TV commercial that shows Super 8 is still alive (or regular 8 for that matter).

The big problem is once you get non-hobbyists involved you'll have all sorts of issues with people who don't understand the process & cameras with no one but us here in Super 8 forums to help people.

Maybe we should have a little Super 8 commercial contest? Everyone in the forum can do their own Super 8 commercial and we can send to Kodak. I know Kodak was doing a testimonial video contest... Then we can use Kickstarter to fund a spot on TV.
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

I see your point and I think that the retro angle is useful for promoting super 8. However I still think it's a backwards thinking approach. New film cameras should be made, advertised and sold along with new film stock (although I agree they probably wont). If the general public could use them successfully 20-40 years ago they still can today. I've always said how I'm surprised a new film camera hasn't come out... I'm still praying it will.
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Regarding new S8 cameras. Are any new 'film' cameras being made? Nikon, Canon all have stopped making new 35mm film cameras. If the market can't support 35mm cameras, how can anyone think that S8 cameras would have a market that will support a new camera. --J.S.
Mana

Post by Mana »

mr8mm wrote: Are any new 'film' cameras being made? Nikon Canon all have stopped making new 35mm film cameras. If the market can't support 35mm cameras, how can anyone think that S8 cameras would have a market that will support a new camera. --J.S.
I pretty sure Nikon still makes the F6 in small batches, and of course you can still get an M7 or MP from Leica.
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

mr8mm wrote:Regarding new S8 cameras. Are any new 'film' cameras being made? Nikon, Canon all have stopped making new 35mm film cameras. If the market can't support 35mm cameras, how can anyone think that S8 cameras would have a market that will support a new camera. --J.S.
I'm no expert in 35mm cameras but I think the target audience of 8mm film is completely different to 35mm. Just because there might not be demand for larger film cameras doesn't necessarily mean there isn't demand for smaller film cameras. They are a completely product.

I do know there is a market for 8mm because I develop enough film weekly to back that up. Also, I'm only a small outfit that works in the UK. I can imagine other Labs in the UK like BlueCine Tech getting much more business than me. And this is just a small geographic area. I think globally the demand for 8mm is still there to a degree and it has never really gone away. It's never going to be the main contender but the fact that it's outlived a lot of other now considered moribund technologies like VHS, mini DV says a lot about the quality and longevity of the small medium. If someone was able to twig onto the consistency with which super 8 has held over the decades they might well have been motivated long before now to devote some time to designing a new camera and putting it into production.

The people whom turn to the smaller film gauges are of a younger generation as well. I think there is a market and a future for a new cam and small gauge film. I sell Super 8 cameras like hot cakes on my site, especially the light weight canons like the 514xl and 310xl, they usually sell within the first week and have been doing so over the past 18 months. I think if someone got the design right, possibly made the gate 16:9 (a projector would also need to be built) and sold them at reasonable prices they would make a killing. All the electrics and mechanics of small film cameras seem pretty darn cheap and simple compared to todays digital DSLR cameras so I cannot imagine it would be to costly for say Canon to knock out some film cameras now and again. Surely it would only be a fraction of what it costs to churn out DSLR's and I would assume they could make quite the killing.
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

Let's persuade a manufacturer to come out with a new camera!
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!
grainy

Post by grainy »

Mana wrote:
mr8mm wrote: Are any new 'film' cameras being made? Nikon Canon all have stopped making new 35mm film cameras. If the market can't support 35mm cameras, how can anyone think that S8 cameras would have a market that will support a new camera. --J.S.
I pretty sure Nikon still makes the F6 in small batches, and of course you can still get an M7 or MP from Leica.
Don't forget that Lomography is making new film cameras all the time and selling them to The Kids at premium prices. Hardly 6 months goes by without a new 35mm camera from them of some sort, and they started making NEW 110 cameras just last month. The also made the LomoKino, which sorta-kinda shoots moving film (4 frames per sec top speed, hand cranked, 36 frames max per load).

I've said this before but if anyone's looking to find a major manufacturer to make a NEW super 8 camera, it'll probably be them, though I'm guessing they haven't yet because it's just a heck of a lot harder to make a movie camera than a still camera.