Is an HD Super 8 transfer overkill?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Uppsala BildTeknik

Re: Is an HD Super 8 transfer overkill?

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

carllooper wrote:Real life SD transfers will always be worse...
Yes, and this is why your comparison of the downscaled version with an actual SD transfer is incorrect.

carllooper wrote:Once again Kent ignores everything else being said.
The problem is you say way too much. I don´t have time to neither read every word nor to answer to everything you write. You need to learn how to be more efficient with words, writing 10000 words in a forumpost is not the way to discuss. It quickly becomes a monologue, because nobody has time nor interest to read it all...
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

carllooper wrote:Real life SD transfers will always be worse...
Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:Yes, and this is why your comparison of the downscaled version with an actual SD transfer is incorrect.
It is not incorrect. If real life SD transfers are always worse, then the difference between an HD scan and such real life SD transfers, will always be greater. It can't be less. What I'm looking at is that even with the best possible SD transfer (if not actually achievable with a real life SD transfer) there is still a difference. The HD is still better. So what exactly is the point in looking at real life SD transfers. They will always be worse. The difference between HD and such will only be greater. The conclusion that I've already reached, that HD is better, isn't going to change.

Is that brief enough?

Carl
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
Uppsala BildTeknik

carllooper wrote:What I'm looking at is that even with the best possible SD transfer...
In my opinion you should get the best possible SD transfer, and compare with that. If what you want to compare is the best possible SD transfer.
carllooper wrote:So what exactly is the point in looking at real life SD transfers.
The point is to get real life results from the comparison. Otherwise all you get are theoretical results, not real life results.
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

carllooper wrote:What I'm looking at is that even with the best possible SD transfer...
Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:In my opinion ...
Who cares about your opinion? Or mine for that matter? What matters is what is correct rather than what is someone's opinion.
Uppsala BildTeknik wrote: ... you should get the best possible SD transfer, and compare with that. If what you want to compare is the best possible SD transfer.
I'm not that interested in making comparisons with the best possible real world SD scan. What I really want to know, what I really care about, is at what scanning resolution the film fails to provide any more useful information. I don't care where that occurs, whether it occurs at real world SD scanning resolutions, or at downrezzed HD resolutions, or at HD resolutions, or anywhere else for that matter. But what I can theorise is that if HD holds more information than a down rezzed HD version does then I already know from that, that it holds more information than what a real world SD scan could ever hold. Or as I said:
carllooper wrote:So what exactly is the point in looking at real life SD transfers.
Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:The point is to get real life results from the comparison. Otherwise all you get are theoretical results, not real life results.
Theoretical results are only bad if the theory is bad. What is wrong with the theory? I mean, other than just your opinion/intuition/guess/belief. As far as I can tell the theory is rock solid. but if there is a flaw in the theory then I'll be the first to accept that flaw. Until then, and from the theoretical results, I can see (until shown otherwise) that there is no point doing real world SD scans. Instead I can spend my practical time where it matters, looking into real world higher definition scans, rather than wasting my time doing real world lower definition scans.

I mean, for goodness sake, what is the point of this argument? We both agree that HD gives better results than SD. You've demonstrated it with practical comparisons. I've demonstrated it with a mixture of practice and theory, that convinces me if no-one else. If you don't like the theory, then either show what's wrong with it or admit you don't know whether it's right or wrong. Saying it's wrong without knowing why it's wrong, is just promoting ignorance and deference to "authority". That's what gets my goat more than anything else in this.

Carl
Carl Looper
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Carl,

The original question was very simply, "Is HD Super 8 transfer overkill?"

The question wasn't,"Is HD Super 8 transfer down-converted to SD better than an SD transfer?"

Also, Kent and I seem to be the only ones concerned about radical variations in the upscaling of SD material on HD displays. So even if tests showed that SD technically carried the very same detail as HD, that detail stands a large possibility of getting lost in translation when upscaled "live" to HD. So the idea of having the budget to transfer to HD, only to reduce it to SD so it can then be upscaled on display back to HD would be silly.

It's not that neither Kent nor I understand what you're saying and, it would appear, you seem to agree with us. You're just taking the long way around getting there for no practical reason because, relative to the original question, if someone has the budget for an HD transfer, why would they bother with an SD reduction? It doesn't take a lot of space to address that question adequately since the answer is a simple "no".

Roger
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

MovieStuff wrote:Carl, The original question was very simply, "Is HD Super 8 transfer overkill?"
Yes, I know.
MovieStuff wrote:The question wasn't,"Is HD Super 8 transfer down-converted to SD better than an SD transfer?"
Yes, I know. Indeed that is my point as well. But Kent thinks that is the argument.
MovieStuff wrote:Also, Kent and I seem to be the only ones concerned about radical variations in the upscaling of SD material on HD displays.
Which has nothing to do with the thread question or anything I was doing.
MovieStuff wrote:So even if tests showed that SD technically carried the very same detail as HD, that detail stands a large possibility of getting lost in translation when upscaled "live" to HD.
So?
MovieStuff wrote:So the idea of having the budget to transfer to HD, only to reduce it to SD so it can then be upscaled on display back to HD would be silly.
Yes it would be silly. Who is suggesting that?
MovieStuff wrote:It's not that neither Kent nor I understand what you're saying and, it would appear, you seem to agree with us. You're just taking the long way around getting there for no practical reason because, relative to the original question, if someone has the budget for an HD transfer, why would they bother with an SD reduction?
I didn't take the long way around. I did one HD scan, analysed the results, and saw that rescanning the film at any lower resolution wasn't necessary to convince me that the HD scan gave me more information. The analysis had already convinced me. Not only that it was faster to do than rescanning the film at a lower resolution. So it's hardly the long way around.
MovieStuff wrote:It doesn't take a lot of space to address that question adequately since the answer is a simple "no".
Yes, we are in agreement. The answer is "no", whichever way you arrive at it. But how we arrive at that answer is also useful to know. Otherwise it could just be interpreted as someone's opinion rather than having some basis in experience and knowledge. Kent keeps insisting the way I arrived at the answer is incorrect. But it's not. Or rather, if Kent keeps saying this, without knowing why he is saying it, then all he's doing is just promoting ignorance, and it is that, rather than anything else, which is taking up space.

Carl
Carl Looper
Uppsala BildTeknik

carllooper wrote:
MovieStuff wrote:The question wasn't,"Is HD Super 8 transfer down-converted to SD better than an SD transfer?"
Yes, I know. Indeed that is my point as well.
The 1000 dollar question is then... why are you throwing a downconverted version into the mix?
carllooper wrote:... if Kent keeps saying this, without knowing why he is saying it, then all he's doing is just promoting ignorance, and it is that, rather than anything else, which is taking up space.
Now I remember why I left this thread long ago... You will never understand it, so it seems there is no point in any further explanations. Regarding the "taking up space"-part, check a few of your posts and see who is taking way too much space. Without adding anything useful to the thread in question.
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:The 1000 dollar question is then... why are you throwing a downconverted version into the mix?
Because as I said: it was faster to do than rescanning the film at a lower resolution. It is the way in which the HD scan was analysed. One does a low pass filter of the scan, ensuring the low pass version will be no worse than an SD scan, and one then compares this low pass version with the original HD scan. It took me all of two minutes to do. What has taken a large number of posts is arguing against the proposition that this approach is somehow invalid.
carllooper wrote:... if Kent keeps saying this, without knowing why he is saying it, then all he's doing is just promoting ignorance, and it is that, rather than anything else, which is taking up space.
Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:Now I remember why I left this thread long ago... You will never understand it, so it seems there is no point in any further explanations. Regarding the "taking up space"-part, check a few of your posts and see who is taking way too much space. Without adding anything useful to the thread in question.
Fighting ignorance takes up space. A small price to pay.

1. What is the difference between an HD scan and an HD scan? Nothing.
2. What is the difference between an HD scan and a downsampled version of such. A little.
3. What is the difference between an HD scan and something worse than a downsampled version of such? A little more.

Step 1 doesn't tell me anything. There is no difference between a something and itself. I can just ignore Step 1. But
Step 2 tells me there is a difference. If that difference is significant (as I found it was) then seeing any more difference (Step 3), wouldn't change my conclusion. Step 3 becomes redundant.

If this theory is incorrect then what is incorrect about it? Because that is what really matters. If you don't know the answer then say so. You can't claim it's wrong without explaining what's wrong with it? Or rather you can but then you are not saying anything.

Carl
Carl Looper
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

carllooper wrote:
MovieStuff wrote:Also, Kent and I seem to be the only ones concerned about radical variations in the upscaling of SD material on HD displays.
You really believe that?

Roger
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

videoguy326 wrote:I'm thinking of getting some super 8 transfered to HD and I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not you think it's worth it or if it's overkill.
Thanks!
Hello,

Based in my experience, HDTV (this means 1920x1080, as specified in ITU-R BT.709-5) is the minimum spatial resolution, I would recommend in order to transfer super-8 film (for final post-production).

As you know, HDTV has an aspect ratio of 16:9, and the native super-8 is closer to 4:3 format, so you would need to crop the image or place pillar-box on the left and right side.

Depending on the footage, the project, the budget etc, it would be a good advice to scan the footage "open-gate" ("full frame") at 2k resolution (for example as DPX RGB 10 bit log files for negative or DPX/TIFF RGB 16 bit lin files for reversal) or even higher rez (up to 4k is possible with a Cintel Millennium II telecine and around 3k with a Kinetta scanner).

2k uncompressed post-production is now much more affordable, whilst 4k uncompressed post-production, is still expensive and complex (high bit rate), but is becoming each year more viable for (some) post-production facilities.

Keep shooting film !

Daniel Henríquez Ilic

Film, Video and Audio
Post-Producer and Consultant
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

MovieStuff wrote:
carllooper wrote:
You really believe that?

Roger
I must admit this is a very good question and it took me quite some time to formulate the answer :)

If you are playing SD content on an HD display then it is being upscaled by the display hardware. Or if I look closely at a computer monitor the image is also being upscaled - on my retina. There are different ways of upscaling the image.

Now no new information is being added by such upscaling algorithms or actions, whether live (by the display hardware) or before hand in digital editing, or in staring closely at pixels in Photoshop. So in terms of new information it doesn't matter which algorithm or method you use, there won't be any new information in the result. But there will be aesthetic variations on how the same SD information is being presented. And these can become a question. Linear filtering, bilinear, trilinear, etc. There are different ways to interpolate the image up to HD, each of which is artificial but give a different effect, so there are reasons to look into these algorithms in terms of which looks better, even if no new information is being presented.

But in terms of the thread question I found these questions (as interesting as they are) did become redundant. Here's what I would argue (the question of belief is irrelevant because if there is a good counter-argument I will be the first to adopt the counter-argument):

If you do an HD scan because it is better than SD upscaling, and your reason for it being better is because it adds new information to the result (which it does), then it doesn't matter what the differences are between upscaling algorithms, because you wouldn't be using any of them.

Now we might ask ourselves what we would do if HD scanning didn't add any new information, but because the question contains a counterfactual proposition it is (or becomes, or always was) an incorrect question. However, what we could ask instead, is what we might do if we didn't know the facts. And that is perfectly valid. Indeed that is where I started. I didn't know the facts so I asked of the world a set of questions that would lead me to a better understanding (hopefully). Now in such circumstances we might just do an HD scan to be on the safe side and leave it at that. The question of facts isn't necessarily answered but we solve some other problem anyway. Or we might do an SD scan because it's cheaper (amongst other perfectly valid reasons). Or we might do what I did, which was to do an HD scan to see what it looks like and if it looks better, ie. contains more information (which it factually does) then we would no longer be in a position of not knowing, and therefore we would no longer be in a position requiring the pursuit of answers to counterfactual questions (other than curiosity of course).

Now my only reservations with regard to the above argument is that it relies on what appears to be a kind of fortutiousness argument - that the counterfactual question turned out to be counterfactual. What if it wasn't counterfactual? But there in is the problem. If you don't know what the facts are then you don't know and, as it seemed to me, whether fortuitious or not, the task was to find out the facts.

Carl
Carl Looper
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Carl,

There are many different ways that SD could be scaled up "live" to HD and some players/monitors do it better than others. Now, the reason the upscaling is a relevant issue to the original question is because there are those that feel they would rather see a high end SD transfer than a lower end HD transfer. Obviously, these are subjective descriptions but, presuming we are going to look at the footage on a large HD monitor, and assuming (for the sake of discussion) that the low end HD transfer is no better than the high end SD transfer, then the low end HD transfer might still look better because the live upscaling issues of the SD>HD are avoided by having an original HD scan.

Ah! But someone might suggest that you use a known, quality player/monitor that will upscale will little or no artifact issues or degradation of the image. Okay. But if we can specify the upscaling device, then why can't we specify the HD transfer method? It seems unfair to the discussion to presume the HD transfer might be lacking while the upscaling device will always work perfect. In my experience, the upscaling on HD systems is marginal, at best and differs greatly from one system to another.

Ah! But someone might suggest why bother looking at the SD footage on an HD display if it is going to upscale improperly! Okay. But if you know you are going to watch it on a small SD display, then the original question of this entire thread makes no sense. So the presumption -the context- of everything discussed is that the footage will be viewed on an HD display. I mean, do you really have a choice now? Try and find a consumer CRT these days.

So when someone asks if an HD Super 8 transfer is overkill, my answer is no. Even if one assumes the level of detail is the same in both the SD and HD capture, an original HD transfer stands a more predictable chance of looking okay on an HD display than an SD transfer upscaled live to HD on the very same display.

Of course, your mileage may vary.....

Roger
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

MovieStuff wrote:assuming (for the sake of discussion) that the low end HD transfer is no better than the high end SD transfer, then the low end HD transfer might still look better because the live upscaling issues of the SD>HD are avoided by having an original HD scan.
Hey Roger, I totally agree.

In my particular case I didn't start from such a "what if" position. The only reason I didn't start from that position is because I could see that the "what if" could go either way. It could turn out factual or it could turn out counterfactual. So it seemed to me I needed to ascertain first whether it was factual or otherwise. As it turned out the "what if" position turned out to be counterfactual.

But yes, for the sake of discussion it could have turned out otherwise. And you've explored with great clarity that "what if" scenario, so even if one starts from a counterfactual "what if" there is an argument to be made for HD scans. As you've argued very well.

cheers
Carl

ps. my only reservation, which is not a great one, is that if a low end HD transfer really was no better than a high end SD transfer then one can't simultaneously propose that the very same low end HD transfer might be better than the very same high end SD transfer. The two statements are mutually contradictory. However what I can agree with is that if the quality of the transfers are unknown other than that one knows (somehow) that the one called HD is no worse than the one called SD, then it follows that doing the HD transfer is a good choice for the remainder of the reasons argued.
Carl Looper
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

carllooper wrote:
ps. my only reservation, which is not a great one, is that if a low end HD transfer really was no better than a high end SD transfer then one can't simultaneously propose that the very same low end HD transfer might be better than the very same high end SD transfer.
Of course. Which is why I never said that. I said the low end HD transfer might still look better on an HD display than the high end SD transfer because the live upscaling issues of SD>HD are avoided by having an original HD scan. Again, the entire context is about comparing SD and HD content on an HD viewing system. Otherwise, this entire discussion is moot.

Roger
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I run into this high-end, low-end transfer scaling issue all the time. Anything transferred on a Spirit, Shadow or Millennium by a post house that has a really clean signal path will scale from SD to HD much "better" than a transfer of the same material by Dwayne's. (Although that's not really fair I know, because the Dwayne's transfer isn't to the same codecs or on the same equipment).

However the same material transferred IN HD on those high-end systems does look sharper than the scaled version from the same machine. In my opinion, as Yoda would say, overkill it is not, worth it is up to you.

Honestly the most important piece of the transfer puzzle to me is the colorist by far; I've dabbled for years in adjusting color but I never come close to a good colorist who does it everyday. I'll take an SD transfer by a good colorist over an HD transfer by a bad colorist.