regular 8 TRI-X

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mr8mm

regular 8 TRI-X

Post by mr8mm »

As you know by now, Kodak has discontinued R8 TRI-X. However, Kodak in their benevolence, has agreed to produce a one last run of TRI-X R8. The compromise as they call it is 249 400ft spools for a cost of $21.5k. List price no discount. So, I can get 21 of you to pony up $1000, I will submit an order. In fact I only need 15. I will cough up the remaining $6000. If I don't go for it that is the end of R8 TRI-X. For $1000 you would get 11 400ft spools. Since I am not out to scam anybody, we have to set up a bank account where funds are kept for safe keeping in case the deal falls through. But Kodak is quite serious about this offer and they feel it is very fair.

John S.
mr8mm

Re: regular 8 TRI-X

Post by mr8mm »

One correction to last post. The spool cost is about $86/400ft. Basically if I can sell 200 of the spools at that price, the deal would work. So, if more than 15 want to get in on the deal, the per cost person would be less than $1000.

John S.
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

I'd be interested in participating in that. What sort of time frame do you think is available to put the funds together?

Carl
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

I don't know the time frame because my contact with kodak is in France attending Cannes-Lyons Film festival. If any of you are attending, you can look him up. His Name is Aaron. John S.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Sounds like a perfect Kickstarter project.
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

I think I am slightly confused. Is Kodak discontinuing the stock or just the format of the 8mm perforations? Could the 8mm always be special ordered if the film stock is till available?
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

Is regular 8 film just double perf 16mm film with no modification? (sorry if my questions got off topic)
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!
BAC

Post by BAC »

Is regular 8 film just double perf 16mm film with no modification? (sorry if my questions got off topic)
Regular 8mm film has twice as many perforations as double perf 16mm film. That way the claw pulls the film down half as far as 16mm film for each frame.
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Regular/Double/Standard 8mm film and 16mm share the same perforation dimensions. Kodak prepares the 8mm form either from 16mm and/or 35mm stock.

Put they differ in pitch. That is standard single perf 16mm film = 1R-2994 while two perf R8 = 2R-1497, i.e.

1. 1R = 1 perf
2. 2R = 2 perf
3. xxxx is in ten thousands of inch, i.e. 0.2997 or 0.1497.

Hence R8 is half the pitch of 16mm or putting it another way it is 1/2 the pulldown cycle of 16mm. Mr. Edward Nowill in the UK can reperforate any acetate based 2 perf 16mm film stock (2R-2994) into 2 perf R8 (2R-1497).

Look for the currently available 2R-2994 film stock in Kodak's product catalogue found here, i.e. http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploaded ... 1_2012.pdf

Apparently 3x Vision 3 negative color stocks are available, i.e. 500T, 250D and 200T.

Edward can also reperf single perf 16mm (1R-2994) into 1R-1497 (B wind) which is utilized by Bolex UltraPan8 cameras. Kodak still carries quite a bit of 1R-2994 film stock.

And we haven't even begun to discuss alternative film manufacturers.
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

So is this an issue of Kodak no longer wanting to perforate the film the way that we need it for 8mm?
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

At this time Kodak only stocks one variety Regular 8 film, i.e. E100D (2R-1497). Have checked the other manufacturers? Wittner has currently five, i.e. http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katal ... _filmm.php

How many rolls do you need and what type?
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
kII

Post by kII »

Ektagraphic wrote:I think I am slightly confused. Is Kodak discontinuing the stock or just the format of the 8mm perforations? Could the 8mm always be special ordered if the film stock is till available?
I think you'll find they're axing the format, and very soon other guages will follow!. My feeling is 100d in the R8 format, just like ds8 will soon be history too!!
nickrapak

Post by nickrapak »

freedom4kids wrote:At this time Kodak only stocks one variety Regular 8 film, i.e. E100D (2R-1497). Have checked the other manufacturers? Wittner has currently five, i.e. http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katal ... _filmm.php

How many rolls do you need and what type?
The 5 that Wittner has is really only 2. PXR 100 is Plus-X Reversal (discontinued), TXR 200 is Tri-X Reversal (soon to be discontinued). All that's left then is the 100D and Foma R100 in 25' and 100' lengths.
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

But still there is no way that this Tri-X could just be continually special ordered as needed in the perforation that we need?
kII

Post by kII »

kodak are saying one last run, think that says it all..