Process Paid 100D Film Stock

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gaugefilm

Process Paid 100D Film Stock

Post by gaugefilm »

Hi all,

In my shop you will find newly listed 100D, processed paid films for only £21.99. I also have some 50ft reels/spools in, however admittedly they aren't as cheap as I would like them to be due to the ebay fees and paypal costs. If anyone knows where I can pick up Super 8 50ft reels cheap in bulk please let me know as I want to get this super 8 stuff out to you as cheap as possible.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/gaugefilm

Kind Regards
Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
gaugefilm

Re: Process Paid 100D Film Stock

Post by gaugefilm »

For now I have taken the processed paid listing down. Whilst out filming with the new stock today my camera stopped mid film even though the film had not ended. I've done some digging and apparently this has happened in the past with a lot of Kodaks film stocks. It's a problem with the spindles and represents a drop in quality control. Looks like this might be happening with 100D.

Anyway I will test a few more cartridges in a variety of cameras and see what happens. Hopefully it's a one off but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
SimonFD

Post by SimonFD »

Hi Kevin

Funnily enough this happened to a roll i have just sent you for processing.

I was using my Canon 514xl and it just stopped. Took the film out and put it in my 814xle and it worked fine. Could be that the act of removing it unjammed it as the 514 seemed to work fine again afterwards. Hoping the camera's ok as i really like the portability of the 514.

This is the first time i've had a cart jam.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if any more carts do this.

Keep up the good work BTW. We need people like you to keep this format alive.

All the best

Simon
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

Thanks Simon!

Strangely enough it didn't jam (although I've had kodak carts jam on me a few times in the past), rather my 1014XL-S thought it had come to an end after only filming for about a minute. I then removed the cart and slotted it into the 514XL. The cameras motor was whirring away smoothly but the cart was not engaging. I then tried it in my girlfriends 310XL and still the same thing happened. I then took the cart out and wound the spindle with my hand for a good, good while until the film started moving past the pressure plate again. I put it back in the 310XL and it worked no problem at all. Come to think of it this happened to me just last week whilst I was testing a film camera (with stock I purchased months ago). However I just put it down to the camera being faulty... So all in all it's not looking good at the moment.

I might look into getting some Wittner stock in instead as it uses the same E-6 process (thanks Pav for letting me know). Has anyone had any experience with reversal Wittner carts? Any problems? Might be a more reliable avenue to go down. I'm hearing a lot of people working in institution is the states have complained to Kodak about faulty carts but Kodak refuse to acknowledge there is a problem. Pretty terrible considering how expensive they are these days.

Let me know if there are any super 8 reversal carts out there that I can try and get a hold of that use E-6 for you guys and girls.

All the best
Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
john59

Post by john59 »

This sounds bad, is it maybe that Kodak are sourcing the carts from china or some far flung place in the far east that does not have the same quality control ,so the machines that make the carts are not precise enough ?
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

Ok the plot thickens...

I have run three carts through 3 different cameras. 2 carts were from my new stock and 1 cart from my older stock (all of which I am selling). I tested them in my Nizo 561 macro, my 1014XL-S and my 514XL (all cameras I have used for years and have always produced excellent results). Drum roll.....

They all flew through without a problem. Perfectly smooth and I timed each one and they all lasted exactly 3 minutes 20 seconds at 18fps in each camera. Perfect!

So once again the processed paid listing is up and running. If any of you have any problems with the stock I will help you remedy it the best I can, helping you to get the whole film through the camera before you send it back for processing.

Unfortunately I wont be able to offer a refund if this happens to you as it seems to be a worldwide problem that isn't limited to any small batch of film that has been exported. Kodaks not acknowledging it and I've been getting more and more reports of problems with 100D stock since its inception. Others have tried to get it sent back and failed so I can't imagine I'd get replenished with new stock either. And even if I did it appears it's likely the stock would have the same problems anyway.

So for now it looks like we'll have to cross our fingers and hope for the best. If any of you do purchase stock from me and you find it to be faulty let me know as it's a good way for me to monitor how bad the situation is and it will help me determine whether or not to buy in large amounts of stock in the future from Kodak.

Thanks
Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

This space was left intenionally blank.
SimonFD

Post by SimonFD »

Hey Kevin

Just wanted to say thanks for the processing job you did on my 100d. It looks great!

The best thing is that I only sent it to you on Tues/Weds so i couldn't believe it when I found it sitting on my doormat this morning (Sat). :D

Top Man! I'll definitely be using your service again and look forward to when you can process Tri-X as well.

Now if only someone in the UK would process negative stock.

All the best

Simon
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

I too can testify as to the excellent quality and speed of Kevin's service.

To have your film back within a few days of sending is nothing short of astonishing for those of us in the UK who were used to waiting three weeks for Kodachrome 40 or at least two weeks sending Ektachrome to a lab abroad.

I've also had some random jamming problems with Ektachrome 100D (not bought from Kevin). Bought three rolls from 7dayshop.com - two were fine, one kept jamming despite doing the normal tapping the cartridge routine each time... Seems to be pot luck!
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

Hi again and thanks! Really glad you enjoyed your films and that Royal Mail are pulling their weight :)

I'm having a play with Tri-x stock at the end of this month so all being well I'll be developing it for customers in march.

I'd also like to thanks Jorg for the spool links, fantastic!

Take care
Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk