Films and Info I Would Like to See

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jaxshooter

Films and Info I Would Like to See

Post by jaxshooter »

Small format films are all over youtube as well as videos of folks showing off their old cameras and projectors. There's videos of Fairchild Cinephonic 8 cameras,Bell and Howell projectors and plenty of people's home movies and test footage. I'm just curious as to what happened with some of the more "exotic" small format systems and films made with them.

Take for instance the Fairchild Cinephonic 8, a standard 8mm camera from the early 60's that shot single system sound on film, more than a decade before the Kodak Ektasound super 8 cartidge. I'm curious as to how many of those thing weres actually sold, who might have bought them and how much prestriped double 8mm film sold.As far as I know, there were two models, one was a more professional model with a 200 foot magazine and reflex zoom lens.Their heyday was around 1960-65. Then I would like to know how much film that was shot with those things ended up getting transferred somewhere. I ran a transfer business back in the 80's and never saw a reel of Fairchild 8mm sound film come through. It would've been a challenge to transfer as I would've had to look for one of the few suitable projectors to modify to telecine.

I'm also curious about Bell and Howell's pre Ektasound efforts. I remember when the film making bug bit me at age 12 back in 1972. I was watching a game show where a couple had won a vacation and a Bell and Howell Filmosound 8 super 8 system that included camera, projector and cassette tape recorde to preserve their vacation memories. I'm curious as to how many of those things were sold, to whom and how many people actually were able to keep all of that crap together. I imagine many cassette soundtracks got away from their films, but surely there had to be some organized hobbyist who kept their stuff together. I wonder how many transfer houses have gotten shoeboxes full of 50 foot reels and matching cassettes and if they were able to sync it up in the transfer.

Finally I wonder about what happened to many of the ambitious small format productions that I used to read about in Super 8 Filmaker magazine back in the 70's. They used to report about super 8 features, TV docs, educational and industrial films. Where are some of these folks now and where are their films? Dennis Dugan, who used to write a lot of technical articles for S8FM wrote about a feature he shot in 8mm with a Fairchild Cinephonic. I think the title was Endangered Species", what happened to that film and some of the others? I recently connected with Lenny Lipton on facebook, today he has no interest in super 8 and has not put any of his old films online and has no plans to. Kind of a shame since I remember reading all of his production articles on some of hisfilms and I would've liked to have seen them. Doesn't look very likely that I ever will.
I remember when I worked at a film lab in Jacksonville back in the 70's I worked on several student films that got some notoriety. One was titled "TV Dinner" by Tony Barbon from FSU I believe (16mm, black and white, 1978, aprox 16 minutes) that won a few awards and I've often been dissapointed that it and a few others never showed up on youtube or Vimeo. One went international, I recall, don't remember the title,but it was around 5 minutes, colour,16mm. It took place in an open field and you saw huge cutouts from popular ads being carried across the field. You couldn't see the people moving the cutouts, so it looked like the Marlboro Man was having a picnic with the Black Velvet woman.

There were also the many professional systems pioneered by Richard Leacock as well as Optasound , who also sold stylish accessories like the "Slinger", a belt that carried the cassette recorder. The ad featured a smoking hot model in tight hip hugger jeans sporting a super 8 camera and recorder. Super 8 Sound represented the epitome of super 8's efforts to grow up and they still exist today. I would be interested to know how many folks shelled out the major bucks for the high end systems and how many of the films made still survive. I'm sure many of these old systems were sold to schools and businesses as they were quite expensive.

How many childhood and adolescent memories have I stirred up for fellow small format film nerds?
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
bolextech

Re: Films and Info I Would Like to See

Post by bolextech »

I remember the "Slinger" girl very well!

I'm sure I have that picture in my stuff. when I find it, I'll scan it and post it.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
woods01

Post by woods01 »

A lot of what your interested in would fall under 'local' history which is sadly something that is quick to get lost. If
you're motivated, then start a local film archive, who knows what you can dig up?
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

Wow, I look into some old posts, hadn't been here in a while and I find one that's pertinent today. I am currently working on such a project.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

jaxshooter wrote:Small format films are all over youtube as well as videos of folks showing off their old cameras and projectors. There's videos of Fairchild Cinephonic 8 cameras,Bell and Howell projectors and plenty of people's home movies and test footage. I'm just curious as to what happened with some of the more "exotic" small format systems and films made with them.

Take for instance the Fairchild Cinephonic 8, a standard 8mm camera from the early 60's that shot single system sound on film, more than a decade before the Kodak Ektasound super 8 cartidge. I'm curious as to how many of those thing weres actually sold, who might have bought them and how much prestriped double 8mm film sold.As far as I know, there were two models, one was a more professional model with a 200 foot magazine and reflex zoom lens.Their heyday was around 1960-65. Then I would like to know how much film that was shot with those things ended up getting transferred somewhere. I ran a transfer business back in the 80's and never saw a reel of Fairchild 8mm sound film come through. It would've been a challenge to transfer as I would've had to look for one of the few suitable projectors to modify to telecine.

I'm also curious about Bell and Howell's pre Ektasound efforts. I remember when the film making bug bit me at age 12 back in 1972. I was watching a game show where a couple had won a vacation and a Bell and Howell Filmosound 8 super 8 system that included camera, projector and cassette tape recorde to preserve their vacation memories. I'm curious as to how many of those things were sold, to whom and how many people actually were able to keep all of that crap together. I imagine many cassette soundtracks got away from their films, but surely there had to be some organized hobbyist who kept their stuff together. I wonder how many transfer houses have gotten shoeboxes full of 50 foot reels and matching cassettes and if they were able to sync it up in the transfer.

Finally I wonder about what happened to many of the ambitious small format productions that I used to read about in Super 8 Filmaker magazine back in the 70's. They used to report about super 8 features, TV docs, educational and industrial films. Where are some of these folks now and where are their films? Dennis Dugan, who used to write a lot of technical articles for S8FM wrote about a feature he shot in 8mm with a Fairchild Cinephonic. I think the title was Endangered Species", what happened to that film and some of the others? I recently connected with Lenny Lipton on facebook, today he has no interest in super 8 and has not put any of his old films online and has no plans to. Kind of a shame since I remember reading all of his production articles on some of hisfilms and I would've liked to have seen them. Doesn't look very likely that I ever will.
I remember when I worked at a film lab in Jacksonville back in the 70's I worked on several student films that got some notoriety. One was titled "TV Dinner" by Tony Barbon from FSU I believe (16mm, black and white, 1978, aprox 16 minutes) that won a few awards and I've often been dissapointed that it and a few others never showed up on youtube or Vimeo. One went international, I recall, don't remember the title,but it was around 5 minutes, colour,16mm. It took place in an open field and you saw huge cutouts from popular ads being carried across the field. You couldn't see the people moving the cutouts, so it looked like the Marlboro Man was having a picnic with the Black Velvet woman.

There were also the many professional systems pioneered by Richard Leacock as well as Optasound , who also sold stylish accessories like the "Slinger", a belt that carried the cassette recorder. The ad featured a smoking hot model in tight hip hugger jeans sporting a super 8 camera and recorder. Super 8 Sound represented the epitome of super 8's efforts to grow up and they still exist today. I would be interested to know how many folks shelled out the major bucks for the high end systems and how many of the films made still survive. I'm sure many of these old systems were sold to schools and businesses as they were quite expensive.

How many childhood and adolescent memories have I stirred up for fellow small format film nerds?
There the Film BY Robert Frank on DS 8 cocksucker Blues made on The Rollings stones , showing then for what there were back then in the early 70/s ,
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

So jaxshooter. Are you curious about commercial sound regular 8 or only the ones from the fairchild camera?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Fairchild Cinephonic 8mm 200ft zoom lens..the only model I know of, ...was introduced just at the dawn of super 8 around Jan 1965....I do not believe this camera ever saw production because of its ill timing ( thanks to the boys at Kodak who wanted to surprise everyone). This 200ft Fairchild camera did introduce the Hall Sensor recording system which they later sold to Kodak and became the standard for most super 8 sound cameras.
I remember seeing a photo of this camera...in Popular Photography magazine...it was quite impressive (much more professional looking than later super 8 sound cameras).
I remember seeing many super 8 films at student film festivals in the 70's...they were very crude/simplistic by today's film student standards.
Lenny Lipton wrote a great book on super 8 filmmaking, I'll have to look for it.