Out of Focus Bolex

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Komsomol

Out of Focus Bolex

Post by Komsomol »

Could a camera malfunction/defect cause your film to come out 'out of focus'?

Let's start with the fact that I am a hobbyist / beginner to 8mm/Super8. I shot a few carts of Kodak Plus-X B/W using a BOLEX 150 and while the technique needed a lot of improvement, everything came out pretty clear when developed.

Later on I switched to TRI-X and sent in some carts to be processed and the lab said one contained nothing at all. No, I did not have the lens cap on. A lot of the rest came out very blurry. Shortly thereafter the camera lost the tension required to advance the film properly and became unusable. You could shoot an entire reel and the cart would never reach the 'film exposed' end of the cart. So I quit using it.

I have since bought a second-hand 155 bolex MacroZoom. Again, everything I shoot appears to be in focus when looking through the viewfinder. I haven't processed any of these carts yet but want to make sure I'm not making or repeating some elementary operators mistake that would cause my footage to come out blurry.

any help you can give is appreciated.

cheers.
unsanity

Re: Out of Focus Bolex

Post by unsanity »

These are old cameras of course, so having one die in your arms is not always to be unexpected.
I have been lucky so far but I do have a couple that limp.

As for out of focus, yes that could happen. You have to adjust the viewfinder to your eyesight, often and regularly. I do it every time when I can, practically every time I load a new film or use another camera.
Check your manual for adjusting the eyepiece.

Julian.
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

unsanity wrote:These are old cameras of course, so having one die in your arms is not always to be unexpected.
I have been lucky so far but I do have a couple that limp.

As for out of focus, yes that could happen. You have to adjust the viewfinder to your eyesight, often and regularly. I do it every time when I can, practically every time I load a new film or use another camera.
Check your manual for adjusting the eyepiece.

Julian.
Ditto
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I use a Bolex P4 that is very easy to focus. The P4 uses a coincident image rangefinder that is a joy to use! As per the instructions in the manual I simply zoom out to an object at around 200 yards and then set the diopter. After the diopter is focused in I tighten the little screw that keeps this setting in place. Works well and I usually don't need to readjust unless the diopter gets bumped which doesn't happen all that often. My girlfriend has adjusted the focus at the same setting I use, and all comes out very sharp and in focus. Personally I think the "standard 8" Bolexes are the easiest and funniest to use. The clockwork mechanism is simple yet amazing to look at when the camera is apart for lubing.
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

Shanec8mm wrote:I use a Bolex P4 that is very easy to focus. The P4 uses a coincident image rangefinder that is a joy to use! As per the instructions in the manual I simply zoom out to an object at around 200 yards and then set the diopter. After the diopter is focused in I tighten the little screw that keeps this setting in place. Works well and I usually don't need to readjust unless the diopter gets bumped which doesn't happen all that often. My girlfriend has adjusted the focus at the same setting I use, and all comes out very sharp and in focus. Personally I think the "standard 8" Bolexes are the easiest and funniest to use. The clockwork mechanism is simple yet amazing to look at when the camera is apart for lubing.
I agree and these Dbl 8mm Bolex cameras rarely break. I have a P1 and a D8L and after an "oiling" they run perfect.
Komsomol

Post by Komsomol »

Thanks. I've actually purchased my first 'clock-work' camera. A Quarz. And I'm keeping my eyes open for a Bolex 8mm to purchase. I have some questions about the quarz. Please see my posting and I'd appreciate any help you can give.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

These bolex super 8's have the cartridge load down nose first right? Are you sure the cartridge went down all the way? Maybe it didn't engage. Is the cartridge that didn't have anything on it the latest one?
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

You say your are new so I'll explain this as simply as I can and maybe somebody else can chime in if needed. If the diopter (eyepiece/viewfinder) is not set to YOUR eyesight properly then there will be focus issues. The image might very well look fine and focused in the eyepiece/viewfinder but could be out of focus on the final film. I think the issue is when the viewfinder is not set to your eyesight you will focus the lens to your eyesight but that will be a very different focal setting than what the film plane needs. So what looks in focus in the viewfinder will be out of focus when you get it back from the lab. I would send those carts off and see what you get back, then go from there.
joelpierre

Post by joelpierre »

beamascope wrote:If the diopter (eyepiece/viewfinder) is not set to YOUR eyesight properly then there will be focus issues. The image might very well look fine and focused in the eyepiece/viewfinder but could be out of focus on the final.
What happens when you’re wearing glasses (which provide a diopter correction)?

Can we trust the setting of the viewfinder? :?:
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

If the viewfinder diopter adjustment can correct enough for your eyesight best to use the camera without glasses...
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

joelpierre wrote:
beamascope wrote:If the diopter (eyepiece/viewfinder) is not set to YOUR eyesight properly then there will be focus issues. The image might very well look fine and focused in the eyepiece/viewfinder but could be out of focus on the final.

I think I can answer this. I have a slight Astigmatism in my left eye and I can focus in the lens without my glasses, which I don't wear that much. I haven't had issues with the final results on film. Everything always comes back in focus. I would say just set the diopter with or without glasses and you should fine. As long as it's in focus for your eye sight then the final results should be OK.
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

I can't see well at ALL without my glasses yet I am able to set the diopter on my Bolex P1 just fine for my naked eye.
Komsomol

Post by Komsomol »

Starting to think maybe i should start with a Kodak brownie instead.
joelpierre

Post by joelpierre »

Shanec8mm wrote:
joelpierre wrote:

I think I can answer this. I have a slight Astigmatism in my left eye and I can focus in the lens without my glasses, which I don't wear that much. I haven't had issues with the final results on film. Everything always comes back in focus. I would say just set the diopter with or without glasses and you should fine. As long as it's in focus for your eye sight then the final results should be OK.
I wear glasses with a strong correction at the right eye (astigmatism, presbyopia and hyperopia).

Glass is a sliding scale (Zeiss Clarlet Business).

http://www.zeiss.in/products_clarlet_business_10cs.php

The diopter of the glass is variable in height and I can not know which part of the glass is in line with the viewfinder.

it is likely that this is not always the same.

Diopter adjustment resulting (glass + viewfinder) is likely to be fairly random.

I shot (on tripod), a test pattern to test the definition and exposure of all my cameras.

Of all the cameras, only the Bolex (155 and 160) gave completely blurred images.

The focus system of the Bolex is very different from the other cameras (mixed fields).

Adjusting the focus is very sensitive.
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

Komsomol wrote:Starting to think maybe i should start with a Kodak brownie instead.
You're experiencing info overload so if you have already shot some footage then process it and see what happens. :lol: