Light reading with a polarizer.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

brokenflashlight

Light reading with a polarizer.

Post by brokenflashlight »

I've been playing around with my linear polarizer and other filters today with a roll of Tri-X. When I have the polarizer turned to it's "darkest" position my light meter seems to register more light, closing the aperture up by about one stop. When it's in its "brightest" position it reads less light, opening it by a stop. Why, if it looks much darker through the viewfinder, would there be more light entering than when it looks brighter? Seems counterintuitive.
Last edited by brokenflashlight on Tue May 31, 2011 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
There can be no thought of finishing, for "aiming at the stars" both literally and figuratively is a problem to occupy generations, so that no matter how much progress one makes there is always the thrill of just beginning.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
IShootR8

Re: Light reading with a polarizer.

Post by IShootR8 »

I don't know the reason why, but I've read that linear polarizing filters cannot be metered (and autofocused) thru properly.
brokenflashlight

IShootR8 wrote:I don't know the reason why, but I've read that linear polarizing filters cannot be metered (and autofocused) thru properly.
Oh really. That sucks. I hope I didn`t waste my film.
There can be no thought of finishing, for "aiming at the stars" both literally and figuratively is a problem to occupy generations, so that no matter how much progress one makes there is always the thrill of just beginning.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
cdodkin

Post by cdodkin »

Most polarizers wil have an exposure adjustment factor between 1.5 and 2 stops - depending on brand/type.

So either adjust accordingly on manual exposure, or use an external light meter with exposure compensation, to guarantee correct exposure every time.

I use a Sekonic L-358

This has a cine mode, where you set ISO, and FPS, and it gives you f-stop with the ability to dial in exposure comp for filters etc.
Eumig user from the age of 7 - Standard 8mm still kicks @ss in a digital world
brokenflashlight

But shouldn`t the through-the-lens meter automatically adjust properly to external filters? Why are polarizers different in that regard?

Also, I`m shooting with a Canon 814XL-S. It does have exposure compensation.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
IShootR8

Post by IShootR8 »

brokenflashlight wrote:But shouldn`t the through-the-lens meter automatically adjust properly to external filters? Why are polarizers different in that regard?

Also, I`m shooting with a Canon 814XL-S. It does have exposure compensation.
There's a bit of an explanation here:

IShootR8

Post by IShootR8 »

Sorry about that, put in img tags instead of url tags...

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Polarizer
BAC

Post by BAC »

IShootR8 wrote:Sorry about that, put in img tags instead of url tags...

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Polarizer
I used a polarizing filter a few times last year while filming water. I was using a Bolex 155 and had the linear polarizing filter oriented horizontally. It came out a little under exposed but still ok for my use. I assumed that the internal meter would compensate for it but after reading that article it makes sense why it underexposed.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

you can use a CIR polarizer, then there is no fuzz with the exposure.

shoot......
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...