affordable telecine?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

adamkat

affordable telecine?

Post by adamkat »

I haven't been on here in years! its great to be back. well i used to get my super 8 film transfered by a member. he did it for super cheap ($5 a reel) with his workprinter. I don't know that he is in the business anymore. Does anyone else know an affordable person/place to get film transfered? Thanks for any help!!
BAC

Re: affordable telecine?

Post by BAC »

Costco is the cheapest that I have found. My father took several of his old films there and was happy with it. If you are talking about $5 for a 50' reel then the price per foot is close. This is what they have listed for pricing on the web site:

MSRP $17.99 for the first 150 feet, $.11 per foot per additional foot.

Here is a link to the web site:

http://www.costcodvd.com/film_to_dvd.aspx

The web site also says:

"On a digital format, you can easily view your old home movies again. Watch them on a TV or computer, without having to set up the old projector. "

I have yet to transfer any of my movies because I enjoy setting up that old projector. :D
adamkat

Post by adamkat »

wow. that looks great. i called them and it will take 3-4 weeks though. good to know for some time when i didn't procrastinate till the last minute, but i need to get a film up on the internet asap. any other thoughts from anyone? any members do transfers?
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Those are of course only reversal film.
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

Adam,

Yes, I can do it for you in short order. PM me the details of what you need done with a phone number and I'll call you to discuss. Once I have your films in hand, it should only take a couple of hours to get them ready for you.

BTW - As a test a few months back I dropped off 150ft of K40 to Costco for transfer and it was by far THE WORST capture work I've ever seen from a professional service. DVD delivery and absolutely atrocious MPEG2 compression artifacts among other things. I guess Costco may be acceptable for some but it's not something I'd ever be proud of showing.
Tom Houston
Virginia
WorkPrinter-XP to HD Conversion & Beaulieu Battery Re-Celling:
http://www.FilmMaker8.com
Will2

Post by Will2 »

it was by far THE WORST capture work I've ever seen from a professional service.
You can see that in their sample video on that site. Ouch.
BAC

Post by BAC »

Will2 wrote:
it was by far THE WORST capture work I've ever seen from a professional service.
I said "My father took several of his old films there and was happy with it". What I didn't say is that he's 72 years old and his vision is not the greatest. :lol:

I did price some HD telcine for reversal film at a local lab in Seattle and they were around $0.35 per foot. You get what you pay for.
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

BAC wrote:
Will2 wrote:
I said "My father took several of his old films there and was happy with it". What I didn't say is that he's 72 years old and his vision is not the greatest. :lol:

I did price some HD telcine for reversal film at a local lab in Seattle and they were around $0.35 per foot. You get what you pay for.
Very true, you do get what you pay for if you know the difference. With that said, I would venture to say that 99% of people are completely satisfied with the results from a Costco transfer but that last 1% like most of us on these boards aren't necessarily going to be satisfied with the results. When is any work product good enough? I have struggled throughout most of my personal and professional life to not get engrossed in the details when it's not important to the task at hand. Honestly, most don't even notice perfection/a job well done when I point it out anyway.
Tom Houston
Virginia
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I'm hoping that with high-end telecine machines coming down dramatically in price that a company will offer a reasonable 2K scanning service at least for 16mm but hopefully Super 8 as well.

I haven't looked into Roger's (Moviestuff) new HD transfers but I should.
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

I personally use MovieLab in Rockville MD. for my Super16 processing and HD scans. You can see an example here : http://vimeo.com/10735477

They however dont offer Super8 processing and transfers at this time.
Tom Houston
Virginia
Will2

Post by Will2 »

BigWorm wrote:I personally use MovieLab in Rockville MD.
Love that Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D lens. One of my favorites.

Haven't worked with those guys for years, good to see they're still in business.