Editing

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
likebenjireadingovid

Editing

Post by likebenjireadingovid »

How do people go about editing their films?

Say you've got all the film together, shot and you're happy with them, then what? Do you still use splicing and cement? or do you get it transfered to dv and edit it on a computer? are their other methods which are better?

And if you do transfer it to computer to edit it doesnt that sort of go against filming it on film in the first place? or do you then transfer it back onto film after its edited?

adam
jpolzfuss

Re: Editing

Post by jpolzfuss »

likebenjireadingovid wrote:How do people go about editing their films?

Say you've got all the film together, shot and you're happy with them, then what? Do you still use splicing and cement?
Yes, at least I do. (When I have to work with more than 6 carts, I do an "off the wall"-transfer with a videocam and edit the video first. Of course the video's quality is less than mediocre. But it's good enough to do a "rough edit" with a few mouse-clicks to create a splice-/edit-list for the carts.)
likebenjireadingovid wrote: or do you get it transfered to dv and edit it on a computer? are their other methods which are better?
Better than DV? Sure! You can get a HD-transfer or a 2k-transfer for your super8-films as well.
likebenjireadingovid wrote:or do you then transfer it back onto film after its edited?
That's not feasible for Super8 as only one or two companies offer this for PAL/NTSC/Secam-videos (=videos that would have a resolution far below the Super8's potentials). And better transfers (HD, 2K, 4K, ...) are only available for 16mm (or better) at prices that only professionals could afford.
This space was left intenionally blank.
vickersdc

Post by vickersdc »

I'm really glad that someone asked this question - as I was going to ask the same thing!

Having just received my new Super-8 camera, part of the appeal was to return to editing film the traditional way, rather than using a computer. Although I don't want to go completely without the use of a computer, I figured that after shooting a couple of rolls, I would edit manually, then once that it completed get the edited version transferred for final adjustments on the computer.

Is this how others edit?

Cheers,
David.
BAC

Post by BAC »

vickersdc wrote:I'm really glad that someone asked this question - as I was going to ask the same thing!

Having just received my new Super-8 camera, part of the appeal was to return to editing film the traditional way, rather than using a computer. Although I don't want to go completely without the use of a computer, I figured that after shooting a couple of rolls, I would edit manually, then once that it completed get the edited version transferred for final adjustments on the computer.

Is this how others edit?

Cheers,
David.

That's how I do all of my editing. I enjoy being able to work with something I can actually touch. I have not yet transferred anything to digital yet but plan to in the near future so that I can share the movies with people that can't come watch it on the projector.