best c-mount lenses

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Re: best c-mount lenses

Post by S8 Booster »

..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
christoph

Post by christoph »

hey mattias,

i was on the same train, but i also wanted a lens that covers 2/3", which makes the selection smaller.

i found that most of the affordable modern (industry) c-mount lenses were ok for sharpness (none was great wide open though) but lacked in terms of "pleasant images". i know it sounds obscure, but i'm sure you're aware of the term bokeh and this is the closest i could point it down. it wasnt only in the typical out of focus images that are usually used to demostrate the effect, but more how things held together - in short, the old lenses looked "nicer" even if a bit soft.

i found the switars quite good (have not tried the RX versions and their problems on normal cameras), but let me know if you find something better (or wider)

++ christoph

ps: i have a 1.2/8-48 zoom which looks very similar to the pentax. not terribly sharp or "nice" though.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

While certain brands have a well deserved reputation, the test is really in the individual lens you have on the front of your camera. If a lens delivers what you are looking for, don't get hung up on reputations. Many years ago I did a blind test with two 25mm C mount lenses. One was my pride and joy = the first Switar lens I ever owned and a thing of beauty. The other was a slower
Elgeet that came with the lowly Keystone camera. I was shocked to discover I preferred the look of the images produced by the Elgeet. My wife and family all picked it as the best... later I talked with a guy working for Victor Duncan in Detroit who told me his personal choice of lenses were a set of Elgeet primes he used for over 30 years. You could buy a nice Elgeet for $30 when Switars were over $150. The point is, a good lens is a good lens, no matter who makes it. The film "There Will be Blood" used an antique 100 year old lens and I bet few if any can pick out the scene(s) where it was used even though the rest of the picture was shot with the latest and greatest glass...
mattias

Post by mattias »

yeah but in 35mm sharpness is a non issue, if anything i try hard to soften the image with filters and nets when i shoot it, and even in 16mm a lens that resolves 30 lines is enough. in super 8 i think the situation is a bit different though, and i need an image that looks sharp in theatrical projection. my canon 814 is sharp enough closed down, but not even close wide open.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I almost forgot what your original post said, Mattias! The best C mount zoom lens I have ever worked with for sharpness wide open is the Switar 8-36 zoom that came with my Bolex H-8Rex. A great lens it puts my Canon DS8 zoom lens to shame at anywhere near wide open... I might not be put off by the somewhat conservative wide angle. I find that S-8mm strong points are in closeups out to medium shots. Wide angles of background tends to show the limitations of the resolution of the format. I certainly applaud your notion to film a feature in S-8mm. If you go for a Switar zoom you will have to have it collimated (or maybe shimmed?) to work on a Beaulieu due to the Bolex Rex difference from a standard C mount. For several years I have wondered and daydreamed about the C mount primes for sale by Edwards Scientific. Would be great if someone could do a test and let us all know... could be the way to go.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

There is also another Schneider zoom C-Mount
6mm to 70mm
F 1.4

A chilean documentary is shooting with that lens this summer, around 300 cartridges of Vision3 200T.

Good luck for your project. For me it is clear that super-8 have enough potential for 35mm theatrical release. Optics, emultion, exposition and post-production workflow are (as always) some of the key elements.
mattias

Post by mattias »

thanks guys. one more question: is it safe to say that even fairly mediocre prime lens is sharper wide open than a zoom? this used to be the rule when i started in photography in the 80's but i must admit i never cared much about sharpness before so i haven't been following the development in this area.
sophocle

Post by sophocle »

In general, this is true, but I have rented the arri lightweight zoom and it was just as good as the primes; and from still photography I do know for a fact that high end zooms only give up weight and size, not performance.

If you need a zoom for super 8, the ang. f1.2 zooms are probably the best in terms of sharpness, even wide open.

They do however, mechanically vinette bellow 10mm wide open and produce a somewhat cold image--which works great with 100d.

In terms of sharpness, it is really something--I shot charts and found the f1.2 6-90mm to be identical at 12mm/f1.2 with the arri ulta 12, and the arri was marginally better with apperatures less than f8.

If you need primes that will cover s16, you can always get a c-mount to pl-mount/arri adapter for use with super 8.
mattias

Post by mattias »

i actually own an arri to c-mount adapter that i've never used, it's just a great dumpster find, am i more likely to find sharp lenses in arri mount? there's an arri kit i often rent for almost nothing for 16mm use that i could try. nothing shorter than a 10 mm there though irrc.
sophocle

Post by sophocle »

I don't have personal experience with the older arri glass, but I have rented the ultra 16 6mm, 12mm, and 25mm--they are really sharp. (my client did not like the look, and we had to work at it in post to make it "creamy")

From what I have heard, the older arri glass is just as good--but I am just repeating what others have said. By all means try these--they seem to be available used at reasonable price.
mattias

Post by mattias »

thanks, i've used the modern arri glass too, and on wider gauges i tend to use diffusion to take the edge off. i wasn't referring to arri glass per se, many of the arri mount lenses i've used have been cookes, angenieuexs and so on. there are plenty of lousy c-mount lenses, i guess my question is whether arri lenses are a safer bet.
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

Has anyone seen this http://vimeo.com/16571589? Looks rather nice, it seems it was shot with a Fujinon 16mm 1.4, 1.5 MP CCTV lens with a bolex Anamorphot. The lens costs about $120. I have also thought about obtaining one, or possibly two with different focal lengths.

There are also 5 MP versions of the lens available, but I have no idea if they make any difference in anything other than price (which is almost three times higher).