Travelling to Tropics with film stock

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Lucky8

Travelling to Tropics with film stock

Post by Lucky8 »

Hello all.

Still a newbie here.

Planning a trip to Central America in the summer and intend on bringing one of my S8 cameras and some stock. I am aware of the X-rays at the airports (thank-you for discussing previously).

But what about carrying around unexposed rolls of 100D and/or Tri-X in the heat of summer. Should I carry unexposed film in a mini-cooler-bag with an ice pack just in case? Or will it not be a problem? Better safe than sorry, right.

The duration of my stay will be about two weeks, if it makes a difference.

Thanks for your time and advice.
Rudat

Re: Travelling to Tropics with film stock

Post by Rudat »

My 5 rolls of 100D survived hot Egyptian summer quite well last year. I don't think you'd have to carry a cooler bag to carry all your film stock, just try to keep your film stock in a shade or your AC'd coach as long as you can
mattias

Post by mattias »

yeah the heat is not a problem, neither is air humidity, but the sun can kill both your film and your camera, so keep them out of it.
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Yes keep them cool, dry and shaded but make sure they are at ambient temperature before you open the packaging - otherwise you could get condensation forming on them.

We had alot of K40 refrigerated when we were shooting In My Image - and the weather here is subtropical (like mild tropical weather) so I took them out of the fridge the night before and they were fine for filming the next day. It's the sudden difference in heat and humidity that makes a problem.

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K