Canon 814xl-s door skin removal.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

bakasutchi

Canon 814xl-s door skin removal.

Post by bakasutchi »

Hello, I have what was a mint Canon 814xl-s camera until christmas when I managed to knock the camera against a door pillar and have dented the film door. Its only cosmetic I know, but if I could I would like to try and rub out the dent from the inside. The metal skin is I think glued onto the plastic door. Has anyone had any experience of removing this without destroying or bending the metal skin? I have tried and have found it to be firmly glued and with very little if any gaps to try and prise it off. Stuart
etimh

Re: Canon 814xl-s door skin removal.

Post by etimh »

Little dings and dents are what give these 814xls and 1014xls their character. When someone describes to me that their 1014xls is "pristine" and "mint condition," I always ask "Is that because it's never used?"

I would say let it be and not risk tearing the thing apart just to fix some cosmetic damage--you might end up with something worse. Just learn to love the small individual imperfections and "battle scars" on your camera.

Not really a helpful answer to your question--just my perspective on it.

Tim
bakasutchi

Re: Canon 814xl-s door skin removal.

Post by bakasutchi »

Hi Tim, you are right, I shall leave it as it is. The camera is new to me and I do intend to use it, just put a test film through over Christmas. I just feel that its 30 years old and survived un-marked until I got my hands on it. As you said, its probably had little use, I intend on changing that. Stuart