Fuji 64d neg test roll in glorious STANDARD 8!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

miles&jules

Fuji 64d neg test roll in glorious STANDARD 8!

Post by miles&jules »

Hi guys
We just got 400ft of fuji 64d 16mm (double perf) beautifully perforated into standard 8 by Edward Nowill over in England. He does an Awesome service!

Here is our first test roll. What do you guys think? Any suggestions or feed back. This is a diy transfer but I'm pretty happy with the colours and grain size etc. I think increasing the contrast is the biggest challenge for telecining neg. I don't have a mixer to pump up the contrast yet. I just played with the menu adjustments (contrast & exposure compensation) in our camera(pana gs400)

The other great thing with standard 8 is the processing. We just drop it off to the film lab and they process as 16mm, and at 16mm rates which is way cheaper than reversal processing!
I'll upload the vid tonight to vimeo.
Miles
Miles &Jules
Will2

Re: Fuji 64d neg test roll in glorious STANDARD 8!

Post by Will2 »

I think you forgot the link.

So Edward can take double perf 16mm and add perfs to make it standard 8? That would be great.

I've been working on a test here in Dallas to transfer un-slit standard 8 on a Spirit. I'd love to have some negative stock like 50D for standard 8 so I can process it at the same lab (they only do 16 & 35 negative.)

Is my best option to contact Kodak and have them do the standard 8 perf or to by double perf 16 and send it to Edward?

Is anyone else interested in some standard 8 negative? If I have to do a large order it would be nice to share the burden.
miles&jules

Post by miles&jules »

Here is the link!
http://vimeo.com/15738297

Hi Will, sounds like an interesting project with the Spirit!

The hard part is getting the double perf stock. No-one shoots it anymore so its harder to find. Thats why I went Fuji, because Fuji Australia had it in stock. kodak here wont supply it unless I bought $1000 worth. So I hope its easier for you in the States to get it. I've seen 500asa kodak in double perf still for sale, but that is amazingly grainy. We did a test roll of 500asa to but its so grainy and I think I shot it way to over exposed. I couldn't get many salvageable shots but I think that was my fault.

Edward does a great job. It cost us $30 in postage to send and $30 back (Australia to England and Back) and Edward charges 5 pounds per 25ft to perforate, the film cost us $200 from fuji. So in the end it still works out a bit cheaper than buying regular reversal. We paid Edward via Paypal which worked out great. He can also supply some stocks. Pm for his email .

The Lab didn't know its standard 8 either. I just said it was 16 and everything was cool. And if you want to shoot 16 with the film you still can run the standard 8 through a 16mm camera!

Miles
nickrapak

Post by nickrapak »

Your best option would be to get it done through Mr. Nowill, as his minimum order quantity (1 roll, any length) is a lot lower than Kodak's (20 400' rolls).
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Sounds like a plan. Seems like it would make more sense for him to buy the stock for me in England rather than shipping it Internationally both ways.
miles&jules

Post by miles&jules »

Hi guys
I got the price wrong before to. Edward Nowill charges 5 pounds per 100ft. So a 400ft reel cost 20 pounds to perforate!

Yeah it is cheaper when he supplies the film to begin with. However because he needs double perf fuji in the uk wasn't stocking it at the time.
Miles
peaceman

Post by peaceman »

That looks awesome!
I wonder about the jitter -- how accurate is the new perforation actually? IIRC the problem is not so much about a certain distance to be kept form sprocket hole to sprocket hole, but all distances must be exactly the same. Have you put two pieces of reperforated film on top of each other to see if there is any offset in the perforation?

Not that I want to doubt Mr Nowill's great service (surprisingly cheap, too) -- I just wonder how accurate reperforating actually can be.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Ahhh....

So Edward has to START with double perf. That would be the problem. I've known Kodak to keep some double perf 500T around but not any other speeds.

Guess I will call Kodak tomorrow and ask what it will take to get some double perf 16mm 50D. That would be a great stock for outside with those cameras.

At the same time I guess I can ask if they will perf 50D for regular 8mm but I'm sure it would be like a 10,000 foot order or something.
miles&jules

Post by miles&jules »

Hi guys
Jitter is bad on the first couple of shots. I'm thinking the camera was a bit stiff. the last shot on the macro seems pretty smooth to me. In the camera there is a rubber guide wheel as the film comes through the gate and it looked like it had perished and didnt turn ver well. So that could have made the earlier shots worse. It could also be my "altered" projector. I'll do an alignment test, where I shoot a cross on a white wall then reverse and double expose the film to see if the crosses stay aligned. That should work ..right?

Hi Will
Double perf supplies - yeah that is the only hurdle left to fix. Fuji australia had about 20 x 400ft rolls in-stock of the 64d (a couple of months back Id say they styill have them) It will cost about you $30 to get it sent to you or to Edward . Then another $30 to send back to you. Painful I know. They seemed to be offering this stock for a client who shoots surf films and probably have an old non reflex bolex in an under-water enclosure.

Here is the distributor in Oz.
Awesome support- talk to Ally
EMAIL: sales@awesomesupport.com.au

Edward Nowill's email is
edwardnowill@talktalk.net

talk soon
Miles
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

Will2 wrote: At the same time I guess I can ask if they will perf 50D for regular 8mm but I'm sure it would be like a 10,000 foot order or something.
John Schwind already offers this.
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

The film looks very nice! It is quite impressive.
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!
nickrapak

Post by nickrapak »

Ektagraphic wrote:
Will2 wrote: At the same time I guess I can ask if they will perf 50D for regular 8mm but I'm sure it would be like a 10,000 foot order or something.
John Schwind already offers this.
John Schwind offers 50D reversal (it is KAHL sotck, most likely Agfa RSXII), 50D neg would deliver even finer grain and much wider latitude.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Will2 wrote:Guess I will call Kodak tomorrow and ask what it will take to get some double perf 16mm 50D. That would be a great stock for outside with those cameras.
Check the Kodak catalogue (online PDF files). Look for 2R (that means double perf).

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
peaceman

Post by peaceman »

I'll do an alignment test, where I shoot a cross on a white wall then reverse and double expose the film to see if the crosses stay aligned. That should work ..right?
http://home.germany.net/101-81660/k-test5.htm -- you might want to use google translate :)
miles&jules

Post by miles&jules »

Hi Peaceman
Yeah I think I got it,But Google translate didn't to a great job.
What is the software download?

Anyone have any luck with Kodak?

thanks
Miles