Personal animation project....

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Scotness

Re: Personal animation project....

Post by Scotness »

Looking forward to this one:

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Scotness wrote:Looking forward to this one:

Scot
Yeah. That actually represents one of the running issues with doing this project. Fans of the show really, really love Turu but his big pot belly isn't exactly aerodynamic. If I remove the pot belly, that's kind of like removing the beard from Dr. Quest. It's part of his character. But the pot belly must go, I'm afraid. I just can't bring myself to animate a fat Pteranodon.

Roger
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Oh Roger you've got to!

And besides the hard core fans will crucify you if you don't!
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Paul L.

Post by Paul L. »

Roger,

I just checked out your website for the first time today, and I'm really blown away by the effort and detail. The geek inside me is going crazy watching this stuff! Promise us that you submit the finished product to Cartoon Network. I can't imagine them not using it. It looks amazing!

Could you elaborate on how you handled the running man through the jungle? How did you do the camera movements? It looks like the camera moved on an arc around the set... is that the case? How did you do the exploding door (for the mummy)? After watching that five times in a row, I still couldn't figure out how you did it.

I cannot wait to see the finished project. This is awesome!

Take care,
Paul
SHOOT FILM!
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Paul L. wrote:Roger,

I just checked out your website for the first time today, and I'm really blown away by the effort and detail. The geek inside me is going crazy watching this stuff! Promise us that you submit the finished product to Cartoon Network. I can't imagine them not using it. It looks amazing!
Thanks! I have considered sending it to the "powers that be."
Paul L. wrote: Could you elaborate on how you handled the running man through the jungle? How did you do the camera movements? It looks like the camera moved on an arc around the set... is that the case? How did you do the exploding door (for the mummy)? After watching that five times in a row, I still couldn't figure out how you did it.
l
Below each clip, there is a rather long, detailed blog about how each shot was created, replete with pictures and behind the scenes shots of the set ups and techniques. They explain the how-to's on this project much better than I could here.

Roger
Paul L.

Post by Paul L. »

Roger,

I've been reading all of your behind-the-scenes descriptions, but when I read the one about the running man in the jungle the first time, I missed that the photo that showed the camera able to be rotated on an arc around the set.

Could you elaborate on how you handled the exploding door in the mummy shot? You explain the mummy and show making the door, but how did you explode the door itself?

Thanks!
Paul
SHOOT FILM!
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Paul L. wrote:Roger,

Could you elaborate on how you handled the exploding door in the mummy shot? You explain the mummy and show making the door, but how did you explode the door itself?
Ah! I guess I did leave that part out. Sorry. In Photoshop, I sliced the door into pieces and animated them frame by frame in layers. I then applied a motion blur filter to each piece individually, based on the direction they were moving. This is the same technique I used on the falling boulders in the mummy shot. Each were shot individually and then animated on a per frame basis in Photoshop.

Glad you are enjoying it! :)

Working on Turu the Terrible, now.

Roger
Paul L.

Post by Paul L. »

Roger,

Thanks for the explanation... I'm really impressed with that shot. It's very convincing. It looks like the door was animated by hand.

I'm really enjoying seeing your progress and think all the shots look great.......

but, can I make a humble suggestion? As good as shot 18 looks, wouldn't it fit better in the rest of the work you've done if you used a stop-motion bird? The bird you made looks fine to me! I think if you lengthen the wings, it would be great. You already have the perfect background... i just think you need to use that bird!

Best of luck!
Paul
SHOOT FILM!
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Paul L. wrote: but, can I make a humble suggestion? As good as shot 18 looks, wouldn't it fit better in the rest of the work you've done if you used a stop-motion bird?
I may go back and redo that shot, if for no other reason that the bird was created using pieces of other birds that were taken from photos on the internet. I don't feel quite right using other people's photos. But, for now, I'll live with it.

Roger
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Another Jonny Quest Update for those still following this saga:

http://www.rogerevans.tv/jq.html

Enjoy!

Roger
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

This is looking really good Roger.....my favourite kids show was the Thunderbirds.....I think you're inspiring me to do a stop motion version of them...no wait hang on.....

Anyway Turu looks good - in fact too good for just a few seconds - I think you need to break him off into his own short film....perhaps one where he carries Raquel Welch off....

Anyway congrats again on the great work - percentage wise how far through do you think you are?

Scot
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Scotness wrote:
Anyway congrats again on the great work - percentage wise how far through do you think you are?

Scot
Thanks! We have done 23 out of 36 cuts. Actually, 24, if you could the second Turu shot, which is done but I just need to finish post on it. So we are about 3/4 of the way done or better, since some of the remaining shots share common set ups. It's the number of set ups that take time, not the actual animation time.

Roger