Please Help: Nikon Super 8 camera D.O.A.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Matthew Buick

Please Help: Nikon Super 8 camera D.O.A.

Post by Matthew Buick »

Hello there!

I recently recieved a Nikon 8x Super Zoom, that I bought as a fully working item on eBay, from a seller with a strong positive feedback, and several other 8mm cameras for sale. However, when I recieved the camera, it appears to be a D.O.A (dead on arrival) item. I fully believe the seller sent me an operational camera, and as the fault is quite strange, I thought I'd share it with you. Really, I wand to know whether I should be seeking a refund or not. I'd rather not do that, but I don't have a lot of money.

Fault 1:

There seems to be a fault with the light meter. Despite replacing the two PX625 batteries with fresh ones, the light meter seems to be fully inactive in automatic mode. The metering needle sits in the wide open position at all times, despite significant changes in light. I moved the camera around several locations in my house, and each time, the needle remained in the same position. There was some crusty leaking from a set on old PX625 still in the compartment, but I've cleaned it thoroughly, and can't see any more left.

Fault 2:

The camera's drive motor appears to be faulty. I replaced the batteries three times, and with each set of batteries the drive motor would either not react in any shooting speed, or run intermittently for a few seconds before stuttering to a stop. Peculiarly, the camera runs fairly well when on its side. As soon I move it upright, it stalls and cuts out. Worryingly, the camera's shutter appears to remain open after this. This is strange, as camera shutters are always supposed to close after the camera is switched off, to prevent light leaking into the film compartment.

Personally, I think there must have been a loose wire or connection, which has dislodged in transit, but I'm really not qualified to disscect a camera, which is why I'm asking you people.

Best Regards!

P.S: Sorry about this post being so long winded, and thank you very much for taking the time to read this! :oops:
Matthew Buick.
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Training to be a CBT Therapist. Deeply passionate about photography. Getting back into shooting Super 8.

My flickr profile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewbuick/
sciolist

Re: Please Help: Nikon Super 8 camera D.O.A.

Post by sciolist »

Contact eBay to to report the item was not as the seller described and get all of your money refunded. As a courtesy, you can contact the seller first, but in my experience you're unlikely to receive a full refund (including the cost of return shipping) unless you involve eBay.
richard p. t.

Re: Please Help: Nikon Super 8 camera D.O.A.

Post by richard p. t. »

If the seller said it was working, then you should tell them it was doa and ask for a refund. If they said 'sold as is' or anything, then that is a different story. If there was a battery leak it is unlikely the camera was working when it was posted. So I think it comes down to what the seller has said in the auction or in reply to a of question. It isn't worth paying to fix these two problems.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au