PTC 1. The next step.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Uppsala BildTeknik

Re: PTC 1. The next step.

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Sparky wrote:...they are supposed to be glued together ?
The MOV files? No, there is a bunch of clips. I stopped th3e transfer each time I wanted to change the colorbalance/exposure, rewinded and transferred the new clip with the adjusted settings. Some clips are probably transferred like two times with different settings (I usually do this when/if I am not sure how to adjust the exposure or something similar).

I cut it up to several clips to keep the filesize as small as possible, because we were going to spread it online. With all my adjustments and rewinds the files would have been larger.

Slap them all on a timeline in your NLE and edit the cuts and overlapping transfers and you have it all as one long film.
Sparky wrote:... is the idea to somehow stitch them back together in one big .mov file for playback Kent?
Yep, see my answer above.
Sparky wrote:Also, is this PAL version running at 25fps...
Yes, DV-PAL is 25 fps. The SD file is playing at 25 fps, adjust the speed to 96% for 24 fps playback, 72% for 18 fps playback, or whatever speed you want.

Sparky wrote:... I played my bit back at half speed and it looks better, but the one following looked slo-mo.
I believe some of these carts/clips were shot at very low framerates, because everything was running superfast (even for 50fps viewing, wich was what I saw while transferring).

The HD files are running at 50 fps in the 50p files. This didn´t make the transfer any easier (on the contrary), but I did it to keep the files as small as possible. Adjust the speed to 50% to get 25 fps playback, 48% to get 24 fps playback, 36% to get 18 fps playback, or to any speed you like.
Uppsala BildTeknik

Im running both the SD and the HD torrent now. Tomorrow I will quit seeding the SD torrent, to let the HD version upload faster.
mik

Post by mik »

Well... my clip is complete disaster - very much underexposed and blurry, i had to make some wrong adjustments on camera. The concept can still be seen but... thats all. ehhhhh. I hope others files will be ok :)

mik.
michaljonca.com
Uppsala BildTeknik

Ah, a note to all of you! You can see (and use) individual clips that are 100% downloaded, even if the whole SD version-torrent is not completely downloaded yet.

In your torrent software you should be able to see wich files are 100% finished. These files can be viewed immediately (as long as they are 100% downloaded).

Mik, sorry for the results... This can happend to any of us. It could even be bad batteries or a defect camera or something like that. Ah, well, on to the next cart. :)
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Yes, really sorry to hear that Mik- not the only one either :( Did you look at the others? There's some nice stuff there I think.

Kent, can we start to make a list of who's had the files and downloaded so I can figure out who I still need to try and contact? Would be good if folks could post here when they've got the download complete.

Mark
Uppsala BildTeknik

I have no idea who managed to download the files or not. It should be enough to send a email and a PM to everyone.

Those who haven´t responded within one month can, in my opinion, be dismissed as M.I.A, not interested or just unreachable.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

I started downloading it, but I didn't realise it was going to be so large an undertaking. When it ticked over '1' I realised it was only 1%. I'll wait for it to be available some other way. If a dvd becomes available, I'll buy one. Or if someone can send me just my section i could add sound or whatever. Mine is pixilated gum leaves.
cheers,
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
livio

Post by livio »

My girlfriend told me that the downloading on her computer is finished. I think I'll see it later in the afternoon.
bye
mik

Post by mik »

Kent, Mark, thanks for good words. There's good side of this situation - it's opportunity to try make it again on e100d :)

I'm over 91% so today i make screening :)

mik
michaljonca.com
romeojesus

Post by romeojesus »

hello!

I would also be happy to see the footage on vimeo or somewhere else.
I do not need the "big files"

best

rj
livio

Post by livio »

wow! Had a little peep here and there. Of course first I looked for mine.
Can't believe it :-)
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

My download completed on my office computer - after 3 days. And on my home machine after about 1 1/2 days. But the downloads got faster with time as more people started downloading. I've done some spot checking of the files and they look darn good for carts that have been floating around the world for the past 4 years.

My effort, which shows up on PTC_clip_35.mov (daughter Charlotte in the pink raincoat & umbrella) could have benefited (single 't', I checked) from sunny weather, but then I wouldn't have gotten her groovy rain gear. It's a little out of focus, which surprised me as I used my best camera (Bauer S715XL). I guess it needs CLA...

I'm going to keep my home and office machines running over the weekend to assist you torrent guys.
Robert Hughes
lastcoyote

Post by lastcoyote »

WOW.... I don't even remember what did I shoot anymore.

Anyway, I do remember one thing.

I was suppose to be in cart 4 but someone over use the time of film and I got nothing left. So Morris sent me another cart to start with... maybe cart 6 or something...

thanks guy

LC
When my life finish, every single frame of my films loop my thought…
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Well I just saw my clip - Gummy. Its very exciting to see something presumed lost long ago. Thanks Mark for helping me download it. Thanks Kent for the fine transfer. Thanks to those who extracted the cartridges from the bottle neck.
I am a pc user and sadly I don't seem to be able to put this file on a time line in Premiere Pro 1.5. I guess its a mac/pc thing. Don't seem to be able to convert them to avi either. Hi ho. Guess I'll just leave it as 25 fps.
Thanks to all,
cheers,
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

Rollef wrote:Will someone be able to put something up on Vimeo?

This is taking me forever and besides I don't really need the "original" files. Just a viewable copy.
I've got it downloaded and I've edited the jump cuts and weird transitions out and deleted the duplicated segments. I kept any of the light flares in between segments through because I always like those :) I also kept the few frames that had the people's name/info (those that had it).
I'm going to burn it to DVD tonight (converted to NTSC) just to have for myself. I've got no problem making copies for people if they just want to kick down like $4 for blank media and postage (USA people only....I don't know what shipping would be internationally if anybody wanted it, but I'm more than willing to do, you just need to pay accordingly....also, it's going to be NTSC DVD).

I will also try to put the whole clip up on my Vimeo page later tonight, if I'm allowed enough space on the account.

It was really interesting to see everything...even the ones where I was like....WTF? Hahaha.

-seth
photo site: http://www.zelophoto.com
photo blog: http://www.zelophotoblog.com