PTC 1. The next step.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

etimh

Re: PTC 1. The next step.

Post by etimh »

sooper8fan wrote:Ughhh. Is this the only way to do this?
My thoughts exactly. I'm admittedly out of the loop on the latest techno-wizardry, but this whole torrent thing just freaks me out--I don't like things that I don't understand and that connect me to people I don't know. ("I'm cold and afraid." :wink: )

I don't really want to do anything with these films except watch them. If somebody is going to do some kind of editing of the project, that's great. But I would just as soon buy a DVD off of them--either the raw footage or the final "edited" film.

Sorry if I'm not getting into the spirit of the project but is there any other way to do this for those just interested in seeing the films? How did lastcoyote get the E64 PTC up on Vimeo for us all to see? And then Flatwood got the edited film up on youtube.

Hey Seth, how are you? Missed you around here.

Tim
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

This was meant to be the quickest way to get the footage out to people- you can wait till someone puts it on DVDs or edits it for youtube if you prefer.
Mark
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

OK, I stopped the HD upload now, so the SD will finish faster. Then, then some of you have the complete SD version I will start the HD version and stop the SD version.

Then you guys can keep sharing the SD version while I dedicate my upload to the HD version. When the HD version is done I will let both torrents run for a few months, or something like that.

My computer uploads the SD version with 90 KB/s at the moment, perhaps that is the limit for my upload speed?
sooper8fan wrote:....is there not an NTSC version of the SD version?
Nope... only PAL, sorry.
sooper8fan wrote:...what am I supposed to do with a PAL video?
Move to Europe, then you can use your PAL version. ;)

... or you could download the HD version and downscale and make a NTSC version. That is how I did the PAL version, with Compressor from the HD version.

Someone could make a proper NTSC version and make a torrent for it. I can help share it (once I am done sharing these two versions to a few to begin with).
etimh

Post by etimh »

Sparky wrote:This was meant to be the quickest way to get the footage out to people- you can wait till someone puts it on DVDs or edits it for youtube if you prefer.
Mark
Alright, that's cool. Didn't mean to bum you out Sparky. All of your and Kent's efforts and hard work are appreciated. I was just confused about what we were doing with this.

Tim
Uppsala BildTeknik

Sparky wrote:This was meant to be the quickest way to get the footage out to people- you can wait till someone puts it on DVDs or edits it for youtube if you prefer.
Mark
Yep, and giving everyone who wants the raw footage access to it so they can do whatever they want with it. The hard drive with the transferred footage hasn´t even left this country yet. I´m guessing a few of you will have the raw SD version before the hard drive is delivered to Sparky. How´s that for fast sharing?

And within a few days when there are more of you guys helping to share the upload the sharing will go even faster. Now we are limited to one upload bottleneck, my computer.

If you don´t want to edit anything, just see some edited version of the footage, by all means wait until someone edits the footage and uploads it to Youtube or something.

These files are not what I would call view-friendly, uploading to youtube seems pointless. Let someone upload after at least a rough-cut-edit, there is no need to see all the stops, re-transfers, overexposed overlapping tranfers. No finer colorcorrections or editing is done. No cool backgroundmusic, and so on.
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

I've got the uTorrent download coming through to my behind-a-corporate-firewall machine, based on the torrent file I received. It's currently at 0.4% downloaded, download speed a leisurely 28 kBps, with an upload speed of about half that. Even as I write, the speeds are improving as more clients come online.
Robert Hughes
livio

Post by livio »

etimh wrote:I don't really want to do anything with these films except watch them.
Tim, PM me your address and, if I'll succeed in this downloading, I'll put all the thing on a DVD and I'll send you. I hope I'll succeed: I'm not actually doing the download myself, is my girlfriend that's doing it for me, she got enough bandwidth at home, while I'm only relying on a mobile data card.

Oh, and about the film... It would be great to have the real film projected somewhere sometimes. Just the raw footage, maybe with live impro at the screenining. I don't know where... in London, where all the carts had been recollected by Sparky? Or in Azores islands, about midway of all of us? Or here in Milano, if you like: my projector runs fine, I can find some good musician and prepare a good supper for all of you (and your wives, fiancès...), I'm not kidding!
livio
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

livio wrote:
etimh wrote:I don't really want to do anything with these films except watch them.
Oh, and about the film... It would be great to have the real film projected somewhere sometimes. Just the raw footage, maybe with live impro at the screenining. I don't know where... in London, where all the carts had been recollected by Sparky? Or in Azores islands, about midway of all of us? Or here in Milano, if you like: my projector runs fine, I can find some good musician and prepare a good supper for all of you (and your wives, fiancès...), I'm not kidding!
livio
There's a microcinema here in Los Angeles that would love to show them live with live music accompanying it. I could host this anytime.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Hi Tim, no problemo- it must be very frustrating knowing that the footage is there- just out of reach! but hopefully things will speed up as this progresses- it's early days yet! If those who succeed keep their connections open for seeding further downloads that will really help I think. This is new to most of us it seems- where are all the youngsters who are expert in these things? (oh I forgot- this is a super8 forum ;-) )
But we'll get the footage to everyone by whatever method necessary- I know Flatwood has a slow connection so can't readily join the torrent. Maybe if someone from the US gets the download they could make an NTSC version and start distributing that? Or if someone who's fluent at editing gets the download they could make a rough edit and put it on youtube quickly? Whatever, the footage is getting out there so you'll see it sooner than later I hope.
Mark
christoph

Post by christoph »

you guys are funny... how much easier can it be?

one guy puts up a torrent (and even kent managed to do that ;) and the other guys install a client, double click the file and wait.

of course if somebody wants to put up some real money it's possible to set up a webserver with enough bandwith for 20 people to download 25GB. but it wont be much faster (or easier).

i switched to utorrent cient on osx and now got 3 peers connected (all using utorrent too), i'm at 6% and somebody already has 21% on the SD files.

++ c.

ps: just to avoid missunderstandings, i think it's great that we can see the original footage and not some crappy youtube file.
big thanks to kent for all the effort and the transfer!
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

and somebody already has 21% on the SD files

That's me! :oops: ...and I'll get the HD in a few days :oops: I should stop- this is silly! Can I stop downloading and just seed what I have downloaded for others to upload? Might be best if all use utorrent as that's what Kent set it up with.
Mark
christoph

Post by christoph »

Sparky wrote:
and somebody already has 21% on the SD files

That's me! :oops: ...and I'll get the HD in a few days :oops: I should stop- this is silly!
well, as long as you don't have to pay for your bandwith it's not silly at all. the beauty of the torrent network is that you do not slow down other people by downloading, in fact it will be faster after a while. since you seem to have a good connection to kents computer, it's acutally quite good that you are in.
Can I stop downloading and just seed what I have downloaded for others to upload?
sure, if you want you can go to the preferences and set your download to 0.1KB/sec while keeping the upload at full speed... but as said, it actually helps if you download too.

++ c.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

That's just it though- I have a crappy old contract with 1GB limit before I start to pay- silly see! Wish I could stay on but I also sneaked into work and set up the torrent there which can be left on indefinitely- can you see it too?

Mark
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I dropped my download speed to 1KB/s and seem to have killed the torrent- perhaps I should jump off and it'll re-configure itself? I'm going to disconnect now- can you let me know if it picks up again? Something strange seems to be happening.
Mark
Uppsala BildTeknik

Oh, the torrent is not killed, I keep seeding away with between 70 to 100 KB/s, connected to 4 peers now.