Has Super 8 beaten obsolescence?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Angus

Re: Has Super 8 beaten obsolescence?

Post by Angus »

Serious tests by top academic institutions show wikipedia to be as accurate as Encyclopedia Britannica....

But...the word is "reputed". The camera is *reputed* to exist, *reputed* to have been seen. That is not the same as "it exists". You can replace 'reputed' with 'alleged'.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

Wikipedia is, of course, much much bigger (both in scope/articles and in sheer number of words) than the Encyclopaedia Brittanica.

So even if the mean error rate is about the same, surely in real terms there must be an awful lot more actual errors in Wikipedia?

Whichever way you look at it the bit about the North Korean film (which seems to have morphed into a camera now) is based purely on rumour and gossip. There isn't even any primary evidence of any sort -like pictures of film boxes/cameras etc.-, so IMHO the whole story is apocryphal and shouldn't really be in there at all.
Matthew Buick

Post by Matthew Buick »

Blue Audio Visual wrote:It's mentioned on Wikipedia

Well I take it all back then, if it's mentioned on Wikipedia then it must be true, mustn't it???

After all it's not like any old Tom, Dick or Harry can edit the Wikipedia page, is it???

:wink:
You'll notice I used the words "reputed", and "apparently". I am fully aware, thank you very much, of the fact Wikipedia articles can be edited by anyone. I myself frequently do so, but only in the Psychology sections.

It's funny. I was about to do business with your company. Maybe now I'll send my Super 8 to Johnny Foreigner to be processed and telecined... :wink:
Matthew Buick.
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Training to be a CBT Therapist. Deeply passionate about photography. Getting back into shooting Super 8.

My flickr profile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewbuick/
Blue Audio Visual

Hi Matthew, what you actually said at first was:

"There is a lot of fresh film available in many different types, not to mention a new Super 8 camera, currently being produced in North Korea".

...which made it sound as if it was as statement of fact, particularly as the first part of the sentence is demonstrably true, and is readily verifiable by pretty much anyone here.

I'm sorry if you have taken offence at my post (which did have a :wink: in it), but I was under the impression that this was a discussion forum.
Blue Audio Visual

And here, just for a bit of fun, is a picture of what the filmstock might look like if it actually existed!

71er

Post by 71er »

I'd say that the format of the sticker on the cartridge suggests that the film window of the North Korean camera has a 16 : 9 proportion, which is ofcourse following the trend of our time like with all those things coming from North Korea.
Anybody heared of the corresponding projector yet?
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
aj

Post by aj »

Blue Audio Visual wrote:And here, just for a bit of fun, is a picture of what the filmstock might look like if it actually existed!

The people of the PPC (people's party for ciné) demanding Super-8.
Shouldn't they be marching to the gate? :)

The camera the guy is holding looks a bit odd. :)

As I recall Juergen Lossau researched the North-korea Ciné-products thoroughly and didn't find proof of any such S8 - product
Kind regards,

André
Blue Audio Visual

AJ,

The film pictured above is the very slow ASA version, hence they walk away from the light.

Pictured below is a higher-speed variant, where they embrace the mighty rays of the sun though the grace of the Dear Leader.

Matthew Buick

Post by Matthew Buick »

Blue Audio Visual wrote:Hi Matthew, what you actually said at first was:

"There is a lot of fresh film available in many different types, not to mention a new Super 8 camera, currently being produced in North Korea".

...which made it sound as if it was as statement of fact, particularly as the first part of the sentence is demonstrably true, and is readily verifiable by pretty much anyone here.

I'm sorry if you have taken offence at my post (which did have a :wink: in it), but I was under the impression that this was a discussion forum.
HAHA! I knew you were kidding! As a whole, I'm pretty hard to offend. I also have a very short memory. So, how much will the charge be for a process and telecine for a roll of VISION 2, and do you offer HD telecine? :mrgreen:

Regards!
Matthew Buick.
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Training to be a CBT Therapist. Deeply passionate about photography. Getting back into shooting Super 8.

My flickr profile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewbuick/
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

I went into Target the other day to buy videotapes for my Digital 8 camcorder (vintage 2004). Guess what? They don't stock High 8/D8 tapes anymore, they're obsolete.
And what happens when my D8 camera jams up one day (hopefully not soon)? Where will I find anybody else who's got a D8 camera to play my tapes on?

Guess I'll have to start shooting Super 8 again, at least I can still buy new film, and find projector bulbs ... 8)
Robert Hughes