Braun Nizo 801 meter battery conversion.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

bakasutchi

Braun Nizo 801 meter battery conversion.

Post by bakasutchi »

I have a couple of Braun Nizos, an 801 and S56. I am interested in converting the 801 meter to run off the AA batteries in the hand grip by-passing the two coin cell batteries. I have been using the Wien type air batteries but with some possible time lapse projects in the future I don't want them to run out of juice while filming. I have heard that there are conversion possibilities out there, notably Adam 64. Has anyone done this conversion themselves and can offer any advise or circuit diagrams. I am quite handy with a soldering iron. Stuart.
aj

Re: Braun Nizo 801 meter battery conversion.

Post by aj »

This adam64 site and/or person are as dead a donkey. Also it was a commercial service so don't expect any info if you would get contact. Likely all component numbers were ground off :(

You would need to build a circuit based on a voltage-regulator. These can be had in compact housings which then could easuli be connected to the terminals of the power-switch output. Not the battery-input because then you will find your batteries empty too soon :)
Kind regards,

André
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

I would not recommend trying to power the Nizo light meter directly from the AA batteries.

The reason many cameras from this era used a separate battery, usually mercury, for the light meter is because the design of the exposure metering circuitry, using CdS photocells, required a very stable voltage for accurate readings. The mercury battery was ideal for this purpose.

Now that they have been outlawed for environmental reasons, the next best alternative is to use silver-oxide cells.

If you are into technical things, I recommend reading this article
www.butkus.org/chinon/batt-adapt-us.pdf

It details the various solutions to this problem and their pros and cons.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
aj

Post by aj »

If you use an electronic powerregulator the output voltage is as stable as it can be. Certainly better than from any battery without regulator.

BTW the instructions for replacement-battery PDF file is very nice but comes originally from the Rollei club in Netherlands. :)
Kind regards,

André
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

How big is this electronic power regulator and can you fit it inside the camera?

Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Montreal, Canada
Janne

Post by Janne »

The method I recommend is to lower the voltage from the AA batteries (9 V) by using a 2.7 volt zener diode as a regulator. You need a zener diode, a resistor, and perhaps a diode (1N4148) connected in series with the resistor to prevent the zener burning out in case of accidental reverse voltage. A light meter draws about 1 or 2 mA. I used a 820 ohm resistor.
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

Hi Janne,

I have been trying to educate myself by reading up on Zeners and I can't figure out how you arrive at a value of 820 ohms for the resistor.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Montreal, Canada
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

bakasutchi wrote:I have a couple of Braun Nizos, an 801 and S56. I am interested in converting the 801 meter to run off the AA batteries in the hand grip by-passing the two coin cell batteries. I have been using the Wien type air batteries but with some possible time lapse projects in the future I don't want them to run out of juice while filming. I have heard that there are conversion possibilities out there, notably Adam 64. Has anyone done this conversion themselves and can offer any advise or circuit diagrams. I am quite handy with a soldering iron. Stuart.
Hi Stuart! I thought you sold the S56?

Anyways - the conversion you are looking for is the ED-209 (Remember Robocop?) circuit. It works very well and I have had 2 Nizos converted.

It is available from a couple of Nizo technicians in Germany at a cost of around 50 Euros.

I had both a Nizo 561 Macro and a 801 Macro converted along with a full service, lube and recalibration.

Unfortunately I cannot advise of a DIY option. But I can recommend the conversion as done by an experienced technician.
bakasutchi

Post by bakasutchi »

Hello, how are you? I just noticed the question on the forum board. Yes I did sell the S56, I now just have the 801 but also have a beautiful Beaulieu 4008 zm2 with the right macro lens. As you responded to my old question I thought I might ask you another. I am filming my parents golden wedding anniversary this weekend and have some 100d to try out. Have you shot any yet, what do you think if you have, any tips? Also I tried winding through by hand a couple of feet with a pin hole arrangement over the film opening on the cartridge, I am after some frames of flickeryness to use in the edit later. I found the film a tad tight in the cartridge, I hope there aren't going to be problems like the E64t used to have periodically. Have you noticed anything similar? Maybe I am just worrying too much.
Brighton is hot and sunny this year, about time too!
Regards