My 10 minute film, gotta love 100D!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Mr Blackstock

My 10 minute film, gotta love 100D!

Post by Mr Blackstock »

I have just uploaded a 10 minute version of the film "Eve's Song". We finished shooting around four months ago in the north of Victoria, Australia. The film was shot entirely on Super8 100D silent film. Dialogue, thankfully little of it, is yet to be added, as is the sound track.

The full version is 26 minutes, and will be cut down to around 15 minutes for entry into short film festivals. (possibly shorter)

The film was shot using a Canon 1218 and canon 814.

The 10 minute version can be seen via: http://www.vimeo.com/13175831
Individual frames can be seen via: http://mishkin.yolasite.com/eves-song.php

I hope people will have a look and let me know what they think, positive input is always a good place to start.. ;)

I think 100D is a great film, sharp will awesome colour rendition, I hope it lasts a long time.
Melbourne Super8/16mm
www.mishkin.yolasite.com
www.canon-s8-repair.yolasite.com
Will2

Re: My 10 minute film, gotta love 100D!

Post by Will2 »

Great shots. What an amazing amount of work. Congratulations, can't wait for the finished product.
Roster

Post by Roster »

Very nice. I second Will2's feedback.
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"
BK

Post by BK »

Impressive piece, the tone of 100D adds to the feel and look of the era.

Bill
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

Hi Gareth!

This looks absolutely fantastic! Top marks!

Which beggars the question - if the full version of the film (i.e. your creative vision) is 26 minutes long - why cut it down to 15 minutes for festivals? If the festivals you are thinking of only accept max 15 minutes shorts then they are obviously not the festivals for your film - after all they are ONLY festivals - there are many festivals all over the world - anyone can start a festival.

Why not release your film to be seen as you intended it rather than truncating it for some fussy festival compiler.

Only cut it to 15 minutes if YOU think it works better as a shorter film (and I love saying 'film' here as it was originated on the format!)

Just my thoughts as from what I have seen and the obvious amount of hard work by all concerned!

Jamie :wink:
marc

Post by marc »

Great composition in your shots! I think that 100D is great for some scenes but in others it has high contrast which is why I think that it would be great if we had both 64T and 100D.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
Mr Blackstock

Post by Mr Blackstock »

Thanks for the great feedback.

Concerning cutting it back...I have always heard that a director should never edit their own film, as I imagine their vision may not be as interesting to others. but I suppose considering my film will never be on the big screen, I can take some liberties with length...i just have to make sure other people can still watch it, 26 minutes is a long stretch with 5 lines of dialogue and no sex! ;-)

Although 64T would have looked more balanced in the low light parts, I love high contrast, it creates a touch of mystery in the shadows, I like that...

cheers, Gareth
Melbourne Super8/16mm
www.mishkin.yolasite.com
www.canon-s8-repair.yolasite.com
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

Mr Blackstock wrote: Concerning cutting it back...I have always heard that a director should never edit their own film, as I imagine their vision may not be as interesting to others. but I suppose considering my film will never be on the big screen, I can take some liberties with length...i just have to make sure other people can still watch it, 26 minutes is a long stretch with 5 lines of dialogue and no sex! ;-)
Well, I recommend you show your film to a 'test audience' and by this I mean average folk - not a bunch of fellow filmmakers. Let them tell you where they thought the story lagged and where they think bits were unecessary etc. This will give you a better idea of how the general viewing public will see it.

I think cutting your own film is fine (those against this are mainly trying to avoid auteurish preciousness over the footage) - you need to find the balance of keeping stuff you want to keep and what drives the narative. You need to be a good judge of what works and be self critical. You will learn to be a good storyteller.

If the film is 26 minutes long with only 5 lines of dialogue - does it need the spoken parts? Would it work better as a mood piece with bags of atmosphere created by the visuals and score?

It depends on who your audience is!

Or you could just go back and shoot a sex scene :lol:
Matthew Buick

Post by Matthew Buick »

Looks fabbo!! :mrgreen: Kinda like a 1950's western in terms of colour. Great to watch! :wink:
Matthew Buick.
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Training to be a CBT Therapist. Deeply passionate about photography. Getting back into shooting Super 8.

My flickr profile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewbuick/