PTC 1. The next step.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

aj

Re: PTC 1. The next step.

Post by aj »

A bit off topic from the poor lost PTC cartridges. Just to entertain the troops.

Indeed if somebody shoots a portrait of you with your own camera the rights are with the photographer.
The creator takes/has the copyrights. Should be the same around the world.
The problem can be that an image is in the film of somebody else and needs processing and transfer to the proprietor :)
Easier from computer memory but still some cooperation is needed.

I have some photos in my archive from a still portrait-photography class where the teacher shot a number of photos with my camera an film. Just to show the difference of some aspects. The photos are clearly different (and better, then :) ) from my own ones. Obviuously the photos are his and would I publish them without his approval I could be in serious trouble. Especially as he has gained a considerable fame now as photographer.
Kind regards,

André
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

How many carts are we talking about? :)
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

It's Five carts I seem to remember.

When I went to photog school in the 70s we were taught that the camera owner owned the picture but a little internet research tells me is thats not true. Remember the Paris Hilton sex video that circulated around. In her lawsuit against her boyfriend she claimed that she owned the images but the court ruled that the owner of the camera owned the rights to the video. Pretty creepy.

Now I think we should split hairs and here's why. I dont know international intellectual property copyright law but I do know that in the USA the most recent copyright laws grants the copyright to the creator at the moment of creation.

My question now is, how do you actually split a copyright up if there's more than one person involved in the creation of a still or moving image; assuming for the moment that the work is silent, with no audio; an entirely separate set of copyright issues.

For example, our recent PTC 2 project. Last Coyote set the rules so does he own the copyright to the rules and guidelines and set the "mood" for everyone. In my or Jusetan's segment, we are both the writers of our 30 segment but there's someone else on camera. How do we slit ownership? My understanding is that "work for hire" has to be established before a camera is picked up.

And one shooter on PTC 2 did not follow the guidelines. Does he own 100% rights? Or since its in Last Coyote's "vessel" shouldnt he share in the rights too. Plus, non-commercial use basically offers no remedy.

The only solution is arm wrestling for it!! :wink:
http://MusicRiverofLife.com
http://TabbyCrabb.com
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

If you guys finally do get your hands on the carts send them my way with a hard drive or a USB Flash memory that is 32GB and formatted to NTFS of HFS+ (depends on if you are on a PC or a mac) and I will transfer them for free. :)

If you want to pay for the return postage that would be fine. At least if you want shipping insurance.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Basically, here's the deal on copyright of imagery: If there is no written/oral agreement that states otherwise, then the person that shoots the pictures or video owns the copyright on those pictures. That's it. Professional photographers generally offer two different packages. One package is less expensive and they keep the copyright of the photos, which means that the client must come back to the photographer to get any copies. The second package is generally more expensive where the photographer assigns the copyright to the client so that the client is free to duplicate and distribute the images freely. This is an interesting distinction because, in truth, the photographer still technically owns the copyright but has permanently assigned the rights to the client.

Now, having said that, there are actually cases where those rights revert back to the photographer if the client dies. This is pretty much standard unless there is a written agreement that says otherwise. The reason for this is to prevent orphaned works. One of the big problems that came up when Disney lobbied to have the copyrights on Mickey Mouse extended was that, suddenly, all these great old films that were in the public domain were no longer in the public domain. The problem created was the copyright was often owned by a now defunct corporation or the owner of the copyright could not be found. No one wanted to put time and money into restoring an old film and then risk having the original copyright owner suddenly surface and lay claim to the restored film after all the work was completed. The same with large photo libraries.

Now, regarding people IN the pictures, they never own the copyright but do have privacy rights, none the less. That's what model/talent releases are for.

So while Paris Hilton doesn't own the copyright on the video of her that was shot with her camera, she does have legal rights regarding her privacy (assuming she really wants privacy.)

Roger
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

Point well taken. You need a contract on everything or you can have omissions coming back to bite you. I should post a chapter in the first "Hometown Americus..." book I wrote about the downfall of producing a movie with "a friend" and not using a contract.
http://MusicRiverofLife.com
http://TabbyCrabb.com
aj

Post by aj »

blanka wrote:a little tweet got me this in reply

"@alunsmith in about 4 weeks time I will be able to send them off."

https://twitter.com/MorrisMilne
blanka wrote:
a little tweet got me this in reply

"@alunsmith in about 4 weeks time I will be able to send them off."

https://twitter.com/MorrisMilne

That should be 4 days. What is he going to add in 4 weeks except 4 weeks?

He already has the addresses he needs.
Any clou on the 4 weeks? One is almost gone.
It could be watching football. Scotland is not participating so he, as a kilt wearer, cannot be too involved :)
Kind regards,

André
Davideo

Post by Davideo »

4 weeks from June 19 is July 17. Perhaps send a reminder to get ready to ship by that date?
blanka

Post by blanka »

MorrisMilne

@alunsmith will send to Sparky this weekend. Cheers.
aj

Post by aj »

What is the semantic meaning of this?

Considering that it is monday morning. This weekend means last weekend but with eternal postponers it is more likely next weekend... Another week in time to add.

Oops, corrected typo
Last edited by aj on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,

André
blanka

Post by blanka »

aj wrote:What is the sematic meaning of this?
thats what she said.
blanka

Post by blanka »

MorrisMilne

@alunsmith 2morro's the big day... Stand at ease filmshooting.com
etimh

Post by etimh »

blanka wrote:Stand at ease filmshooting.com
That'll be the day. :roll:

Tim
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Films are on their way to me by registered mail- should have them Monday. I ordered a USB hard drive which should arrive soon too. Then they're all off to Kent for transfer.
Could do with some advice as to what to do next. I'm all for distributing the raw transfer to all the partakers- maybe on DVDs or is there a good way to host it online for selected downloading by those involved? I think it best to get the raw footage out as otherwise it could all disappear into the mists of time again while editing is done and music chosen. We've all waited long enough me thinks. Then at least we can see what was shot and anyone involved could plan an edit. What do you guys think?
Mark
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

Perhaps someone could also offer DVDs for sale to those who weren't involved but would like to see the footage of this legendary project? :D