Best travel/compact cameras? Your advice plz.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

woods01

Best travel/compact cameras? Your advice plz.

Post by woods01 »

I'm looking for some advice on getting a new compact travel camera to replace my 514xl which hasn't seen much use since K40 was discontinued. I'm looking for something reasonably compact that can shoot E64 with minimal fuss and preferable has an EE lock and a +/- exposure switch as I also shoot a lot of B&W that I hand develop as a negative and usually over expose by stop. If it had timelapse features or 9fps or 24fps exposure that would be a bonus.

I did find a pretty good discussion of the smallest cameras discussed here: http://www.filmshooting.com/index.php?o ... Itemid=154 But that discussion doesn't go into the 64 asa problem which is what I want advice on.

The Minolta XL 400/401 series looks promising with the E64 mod and seems to bell recommended.

Eumig Mini 3/5 has a +/- control. Has anyone shot with this camera recently? Is that just full stop adjustments or can you do it in thirds to get E64 to work properly?

The Nikon 8x Superzoom seems to be a great fit and can handle all the asa variations but it is never mentioned as being considered a compact camera, anyone shooting with this guy? Is it a metal tank?

The smaller Nizo series also seem pretty promising, they are all pretty feature loaded and most have the long shutter control which could be fun to play with, although the later Nizo Macro series appear to be only 40/160 cameras. Any major differences to be aware of between the S series and the regular ones?

Many thanks for any advice. I do realize that I might have to get two cameras to cover my needs one for E64 and one for B/W work.
BigWorm

Re: Best travel/compact cameras? Your advice plz.

Post by BigWorm »

Woods01,

I just completed a full overhaul of a Eumig Mini 3 Servofocus last week and I've got a test roll in the camera right now that I've been shooting. I really like the small size of the Mini 3 and it's ease of focusing. It's right along side my Canon 310XL for compactness but even smaller (tiny). Although the 310 can be a pain to focus I do love it and it shoots 64T, 200T and 500T with no problems. I haven't shot any B&W with the 310 yet but plan on it soon.

My only experience with the Nizo's are the 801 and the Pro, both of which shoot amazing footage. I do have a Nizo Intregral 10 that came out of the same batch of dead cameras as the Mini 3 that I also need to shoot some 64T with. My hunt lately has been to disprove some of the misinformation out there about which cameras will shoot 64T and which ones won't. Lots of wrong info floating around...

I shot some 500T with my 310XL last week at the school and some guy asked if my camera was "one of those new HD video cameras". He didn't know what to say after I explained what it was. All he said was "cool" LOL
Tom Houston
Virginia
WorkPrinter-XP to HD Conversion & Beaulieu Battery Re-Celling:
http://www.FilmMaker8.com
Angus

Post by Angus »

The Eumig mini 3 is pretty plasticky.

I prefer the Elmo Super 103. Its mostly metal in construction so quite sturdy, has a nice 3x zoom lens and accepts 64t without any fuss. Negative sides are that it only shoots at 18fps and has no manual exposure mode (though there is backlight compensation).
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Jean Poirier

Post by Jean Poirier »

For 200 asa B+W you mat try to find a Canon 514XLS. It is not the smallest camera but it always give me excellent results and has 24 fps. The Nikon needs separate batteries for exposure meter but will read 64T. Of course you will miss the lightness and portability of the 514XL. Jean
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Are you married to Super 8? I love this camera for travel...

Canon Canonet Cine 8

Standard 8mm, easy to load, very compact, fits in front pocket.

Order some stock from John Schwinn and you're good to go. Do the 100D and process & transfer it with Dwayne's.

I have 5 of them bought for $6.99 - $19.99 ion eBay and replaced the meter battery on all of them (bought the battery from Batteries Plus+ in the States) and found all the meters worked great.
woods01

Post by woods01 »

Thanks for all the replies guys!

An electric regular 8 camera? Fascinating, I had always thought that regular 8 cameras were all clockwork. I've got my grandfather's bolex 8mm sitting on my shelf which is not much bigger than a modern dv camera. I've long been tempted to shoot regular 8mm but have stuck with S8 because film is more easily obtained. I'm lucky that there is a local camera store that sells all the Kodak stocks.

On the Elmo Super 103 & Eumig Mini 3, how does the backlight control work? Can you lock it into place or do you have to keep holding the button in place? The Eumig Mini 5 looks like a better choice for me, that model seems to be the same size as the 3 but has 9/18/24 fps.

The Canon 310xl can shoot 64t? Is that in automode or by putting an ND filter over the meter?
sk360

Post by sk360 »

I really like the Russian Quartz 1x8c-2. It uses C-mount lenses, has a wind up motor and easily fits into your palm when you take the handle off. I haven't had much luck with most russian gear but this camera worked like a charm when I used it. wished I kept it...
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

woods01 wrote:
The Nikon 8x Superzoom seems to be a great fit and can handle all the asa variations but it is never mentioned as being considered a compact camera, anyone shooting with this guy? Is it a metal tank?
Yes, a metal tank, and they are fantastic. I own 3. My favourite camera at the moment for absolutely no-nonsense design and aperture still works even if light meter dies. It's not a "compact" travel camera but dimensions are 9" long, 5" high and 2" wide, so not too big either. A little heavy if that matters.

Beware of the similarly named Nikon Super Zoom 8. It is nearly identical (and therefore recommended) but the handle is flat and not as comfortable to hold as compared to 8X Superzooms round handle.

Also worth noting that these cameras modify very easily to hand-crank/finger-jam and shutterless.

Rick
71er

Post by 71er »

If you don't like the all plastic Eumig Mini 3 then go for the Mini 3 Servofocus: the cover of the film chamber is all metal and so is the piece in front of it; the other half of the camera is plastic but it has got a nice feel. It is a point and shoot camera and it weighs 550 g empty. The Mini 5 has got about the same design but is 2 cm longer and 80 g heavier. Overall the Mini 5 is much more sophisticated: the different speeds, motor zoom, macro, and you can see the aperture in the viewfinder. The aperture can be locked by pressing a button (also possible with a cable release). You have to set the distance though.
I have filmed with the Mini 3 using 100 D getting good results (attention: you have to put the filter key in and have the camera set on the back light correction to get the right exposure!), I haven't used the Mini 5 yet but I'm planning to soon.
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
Angus

Post by Angus »

The Eumig mini 3 is plastic inside and out, if you've ever stripped one down you'd probably be quite shocked as to how much the mechanicals are plastic. The Elmo 103 is more likely to last, in my view.

There were electric reg 8 cameras, I have a Chinon Master which is quite a compact reg 8 camera with electric motor and exposure. The only issue is that the pistol grip cannot be removed. For example with the Elmo super 103 the grip is removable and interchangable with the bigger cameras up to super 110. The backlight compensation is simply a lever you pull down for as long as you need it.

For something a little bigger consider a Nizo S561. Quirky but packed with features and the pistol grip folds to make the whole unit quite compact but it will never fit in your trouser pocket - which the Elmo Super 103 or Eumig Mini 3 would.

Canon Cannonet looks very nice. I'm on the lookout for a truly decent reg 8 camera...currently I have the Chinon I mentioned and my grandfather's old Quarz with fixed lenses.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
71er

Post by 71er »

I checked and I'm sorry that I was wrong: all Eumig Mini models (Mini, Mini 2, Mini 3 zoom-reflex, Mini 3 servofocus, Mini 3 servofocus PMA) have a film compartment door made of metal and a drive compartment cover made of metal; the opposite side of the camera is always plastic. The drive gears between the motor and the shutter are plastic and I have never seen any worn ones; also the drive of the cartridge spool has plastic components that actually do look fragile and I still have never experienced a broken one. What I have found is that the filters (one in front of film gate, the other one in front of light meter) tend to be off their holder; and the motor is often stuck in the position it was last left in. Both problems are not too hard to fix.
A handy standard 8 camera that I really like is the Leicina 8; its footage counter is just superb!
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
Angus

Post by Angus »

I've stripped down and rebuilt two Eumig mini 3's with damaged plastic gears...but maybe I was just unlucky.

I'd like a Leicina 8. I have the Leicina Super RT which is a nice super 8 camera, very well built of one would expect.
Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

In case you want to consider Standard 8 as well, I find the small Bolex cameras a real treat (like my Bolex B8). Very lightweight, the clockwork motor means you never run out of batteries, plenty of different frame rates, and most of them use prime lenses. The downside is that they obviously don't feature timelapse or anything similar, and the autoexposure (where it exists) is likely either not to work anymore or to require expensive adapters, so best to use them with an external light meter. As for film availability, I don't find it too bad. Okay, you can't just go down a shop and buy a cartridge of 64T, but there are still plenty of film stocks out there, if you're a little patient for delivery. My favourite colour stock is Wittner Chrome 100D (a North American equivalent of which would presumably Spectra's Chrome 100D - not sure if they do this in Standard 8, I think they do - if anyone knows for sure, please feel free to confirm/correct me).
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Talking about filmstock for R8, I use Cinechrome 100D, which is no other that Ektachrome 100D perforated directly by Kodak for John Schwind (Internationalfilm) who offers very good prices compared with Wittner's. If I'm correct, Wittner R8 sotck is perfed by Kahl.

Even if you are in the UK you should consider buying from Mr Schwind for best prices, perforations and feedback.
aj

Post by aj »

Considering the (lack of) quality imago of Kahl I doubt Wittner really buys anything or acquires any service from Kahl. :)

If you want special R8 materials you can buy any 16mm double perf and have it enhanced to R8 by mr Nowill from UK.

For travel purposes the lightweight cameras from Japan are likely best. Canon Af310xl looks smart, auto sharp and has a 1.0 lens. So do earlier 310xl.
The small Nizo are good too. Or the Rollei pocket thingy...
Plenty choice. The Agfa Microflexes are really compact but somewhat heavy.
Kind regards,

André