Why are 16mm cameras so cheap?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

vidwerk

Re: Why are 16mm cameras so cheap?

Post by vidwerk »

Freya wrote:
vidwerk wrote:
The only issue I had, was that it was a pain in the ass to load.
vidwerk.
Really????!!!!!

Freya
Yes, really. Loop formers were fine. The problem was that nine times of of ten, when the film went in behind the preasure plate, the camera would stop as if it were jamming. The problem wasn't nearly as persistent if I pre-roll the film with my fingers to help curve in the direction of the loop.

vidwerk.
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

Here is a link to a scan of the manual I uploaded to Mediafire:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=00b3 ... f6e8ebb871

When I find the better quality copy I will make a better scan and assemble it into a PDF. This will for now.
einzelhaft83

Post by einzelhaft83 »

super8man wrote:Picked up a Bell & Howell 240 16mm movie camera (turret style) for $60 - which was basically for the two C-mount lenses on it. So, what gives? I can't find any manuals on these things online and no websites talking about them. Guess I'll have to do up a page for it once it arrives. My Scoopic 16MS is too big with the remote lead acid battery to allow me to use it as a point and shoot.

So, what's the verdict on the 240? I avoided the 240EE as I was unclear how the metering system/lens worked and if the light meter was a required element to its operation. I went for the non-EE model. I hope it works OK. Must be better than an old Bolex, no? Wonder what the effective shutter speed is? 1/40th?

Any hints would be great.
I have a 240EE. I use a light meter and adjust the exposure manually. The quality of the images seems good to me. Although I do wish I had done more research and bought one of the non EE models instead.

vidwerk, I notice you said you only used B&W in yours. I have noticed that when I use Plus X in mine, it seems to have loading problems, but Kodachrome/Ektachrome goes through just fine. Maybe the Plus X is thicker or something?
jopsuper8

Post by jopsuper8 »

The Mediafile link noted above for the Bell & Howell 240 manual doesn't seem to work. Could someone possibly check the link or E-mail the file to me at kawninja@cableone.net

Thanks much!
jopsuper8
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

jopsuper8 wrote:The Mediafile link noted above for the Bell & Howell 240 manual doesn't seem to work. Could someone possibly check the link or E-mail the file to me at kawninja@cableone.net

Thanks much!
jopsuper8
The link has probably expired. I will have to upload the file again.