Why are 16mm cameras so cheap?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

super8man

Why are 16mm cameras so cheap?

Post by super8man »

Picked up a Bell & Howell 240 16mm movie camera (turret style) for $60 - which was basically for the two C-mount lenses on it. So, what gives? I can't find any manuals on these things online and no websites talking about them. Guess I'll have to do up a page for it once it arrives. My Scoopic 16MS is too big with the remote lead acid battery to allow me to use it as a point and shoot.

So, what's the verdict on the 240? I avoided the 240EE as I was unclear how the metering system/lens worked and if the light meter was a required element to its operation. I went for the non-EE model. I hope it works OK. Must be better than an old Bolex, no? Wonder what the effective shutter speed is? 1/40th?

Any hints would be great.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Rollef

Re: Why are 16mm cameras so cheap?

Post by Rollef »

Wicked!
I have never seen one over here but would definately buy one if I saw one. Ultra cool retro style.

http://www.filmshooting.com/index.php?o ... Itemid=154

You'll have to test the chick theory when you get it :D
StoneBuilder

Post by StoneBuilder »

I bought one off eBay once - just one lens and a turret plug. I tested the film transport and it ran for an amazing legth of time - was it 53 seconds off one wind? - but I sold it on at about the same price. I decided it was just junk and not worth the bother - too clunky.
super8man

Post by super8man »

Well, when mine arrives I shall post a summary of it. It's coming with a 6.5mm lens so it would be useful for my next sailing adventure.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

My Scoopic 16MS is too big with the remote lead acid battery
Can you find an internal battery? My new ones last much longer than I can shoot at one time.

Doesn't exactly make it a point and shoot but its almost as close as you get in 16mm.
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

Great camera. Bought the two lens turret model a few years back for $10.
Had to downsize. Ended up selling it for nearly $300. a couple of years ago.
You have to use a specific lens in one of the mounts. A Comat or something.
Does single frame also. cable release socket is on the underside of the lens plate. I used a PulsAR intervalometer with it for timelapse.
Nice variable frame rates. I only shot B&W with it, but the images turned out quiet well. The only issue I had, was that it was a pain in the ass to load.
I can dig around for some footage if you want.

vidwerk.
super8man

Post by super8man »

I should know more once it arrives...I'll let you know if it's a complete piece of crap or something actually worth running $$$ 16mm film through.
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

I have three models of this camera, a single lens, a dual lens turret and the triple lens turret version. I also have two manuals for these cameras. I have scans of one manual though I have a second manual in better shape which I can scan if I can find it.

Some of my first animation on 16mm was shot on a B&H 240 before I got my first Bolex.
super8man

Post by super8man »

I need a copy of the 240 dual turret model if you can send it to me...many thanks!!!
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

I'm going to try and upload it to a file sharing service. Right now my connection is iffy so it may be tomorrow until I can do that at another place with a more reliable connection.

The manual covers all three models. The one I scanned is a bit worn but still somewhat readable. It's a set of JPG's zipped into a file. I later got a better quality copy of the manual which I have been meaning to scan but haven't gotten around to it. I moved recently so everything is packed away. It would take me a while to find the better manual.

The shutter speed at 16 fps is 1/43 of a second. It's a decent camera which I think was made as a later consumer version of the venerable model 70.
Freya

Post by Freya »

vidwerk wrote:
The only issue I had, was that it was a pain in the ass to load.
vidwerk.

Really????!!!!!

I have a 240EE and the thing I most love about it is how easy it is to load the thing! As well as the afore mentioned long spring winds! The 240EE seems to just load itself for me it forms the loops and threads the film in all the right places and I hardly need to think about it. Does the 240T not have this feature? I was thinking of trying to find a 240T because I like the 240EE so much. I find my filmo is much harder to load!

love

Freya
super8man

Post by super8man »

Looks as easy as a Scoopic...it was these neat loop formers that swing away when the lid is dropped on the camera. Self loading...seems idiot proof.
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

All three models have the loop formers. The difference between them is the addition of the turret. Also the viewfinder is different on each. For the single lens and dual lens model the viewfinder has a slide to change the view to different lens focal lengths. The triple lens model has a rotating viewfinder turret much like the model 70 though it's not coupled with the lens turret. One thing I like about these cameras is the wind indicator. It shows you at a glance how much wind is left on the motor.
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

Here are pictures of the three model 240s I have.

super8man

Post by super8man »

Here's mine: