Shooting super 16, cheaper than super 8!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Justin Lovell

Shooting super 16, cheaper than super 8!

Post by Justin Lovell »

For those who don't know..

www.mediadistributors.com

A hidden gem for cheap film stock. I've seen 16mm stock from as cheap as .05/foot... Hell even bought 35mm stock for .01/foot. Short ends/recans all certified!

Working it out, I believe super 8 stock is around .30-.40/foot.

Just grab yourself a bolex, or an eclair, or canon scopic. Had relatively inexpensive. Or do the full jump and just go straight to 35mm with a KONVAS which can be had with lenses for as little as $1000!!!

To be able to offer a film look to a documentary or film project is priceless. We love offering up filmic approaches with our collective of cinematographers at www.framediscreet.blogspot.com.
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
etimh

Re: Shooting super 16, cheaper than super 8!

Post by etimh »

Dude,

I'm offering up this "filmic approach" for you: finish your Pass the Cart segment so we can wrap up the project.

Tim
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Ouch.
reflex

Post by reflex »

a) Great that we can shoot 16mm for less than S8. Will investigate.

b) I'm glad I didn't participate in Pass The Cart. It's been a nightmare.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

etimh wrote:Dude,
I'm offering up this "filmic approach" for you: finish your Pass the Cart segment so we can wrap up the project.
Tim
Sorry Justin, but I have to second that.
reflex wrote: b) I'm glad I didn't participate in Pass The Cart. It's been a nightmare.
Actually, it's been okay, almost done, with one exception: Justin has had his cart for nearly 6 months!!!

Rick
Janne

Post by Janne »

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Who doesn't like buying used underwear??

I sure wouldn't stick my neck out on a shoot with recans and short ends. I've seen to much strange shit off of 'tested' recans and shorts. We had some odd fogging and some was even labeled wrong.

Nope.

It's not worth it.

Good Luck
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Nigel wrote:Who doesn't like buying used underwear??

I sure wouldn't stick my neck out on a shoot with recans and short ends. I've seen to much strange shit off of 'tested' recans and shorts. We had some odd fogging and some was even labeled wrong.

Nope.

It's not worth it.

Good Luck
Great things have been shot on short ends and re-cans. The french new wave wouldn't have happened the way it did without them. So it depends on what 'the shoot' is. If you want to learn about shooting film, then learning on short ends or re-cans is a great option. If you are working by yourself and experimenting, shooting on re-cans and short ends is a great option. If you have won a contract to produce an advertisement for Mercedes or have 10 or 20 or more people working on your set, shooting on re-cans and short ends is definitely a bad idea.
Horses for courses. But definitely shooting on recans and short ends has its place and can be cheaper than super 8 (which doesn't have this option). Shooting 16mm re-cans and short ends is probably about as risky as shooting on super 8, all things being considered. As an experimental film maker (not a narrative film maker, or someone in the advertising or music video industry) I love shooting on re-cans, granting me access to new and expensive stocks at a fraction of the price.
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

richard p. t. wrote: But definitely shooting on recans and short ends has its place and can be cheaper than super 8 (which doesn't have this option).
richard
You have this option if you buy from pro8, though it may not have been your intention :)
Rick
BK

Post by BK »

In my poor student days I have used loads of 16mm shortends and recans from the local TV station given to me free and I never had any issues. Guess I was lucky, plus the camera assistants there are real pros.

Certainly wouldn't chance it by wearing second hand underwear on a very 'hot' date though...you never know!

Bill
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Obviously if you have a well funded project shorts ends wouldn't be needed and the risk of using them is too great when there's real money on the line.

If you use it to shoot family movies or for fun then short ends are a great option. As long as your job doesn't rely on it.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Yeah, because I just love getting out my Aaton to shoot birthday parties and BBQs in the back yard. I set it up right next to my 4x5 camera for the snapshots.

If you aren't shooting anything worthwhile then go for it.

Good Luck