ASA 10 ?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mr_x

Re: ASA 10 ?

Post by mr_x »

was very lucky when i picked up my dual editor - bought for Regular 8 viewing - the guy threw in two rolls of fogged double 8 in the original metal containers - so i also got 50 feet of fogged film to play with + the tins! ;)

R
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

The ASA 10 film you refer to is probably an orthochromatic stock normally used in creating optical sound tracks, such as Agfa ST8 Ortho film. I've got a few cans of the stuff around. It has no antihalation backing, so you'll find that highlights tend to spread and halo. It's an interesting stock, you can also process it as negative for a bit more dynamic range.
Robert Hughes
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

thanks Robert :)

we have lost the sun in the UK while just over the Channel, Europe bakes ... crazy weather systems ... so will be waiting on the light / return of summer, before i trial the asa 10 (fingers crossed for some sunshine ;)

R
BMasson

Post by BMasson »

One more point about your 10 asa film. The film stock is Kodak's 7363; It is mainly used to shoot titles and such at the beginning or end of a film. It does this quite well, as the blacks are very black, and the whites are clearly defined. The roll of film that you have was perforated from 16mm stock to 8mm cine standards, by Edward Nowill of London. He has done this work for me in the past. As it stands now, he can take double perf 16mm stock and reperforate it for reg-8mm use. In due time, if it hasn't happen already, he will be able to take single-perf film (16mm), and convert it for reg-8mm use. Let us know how you do with your first roll. Brad M
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

BMasson wrote:One more point about your 10 asa film. The film stock is Kodak's 7363; It is mainly used to shoot titles and such at the beginning or end of a film. It does this quite well, as the blacks are very black, and the whites are clearly defined. The roll of film that you have was perforated from 16mm stock to 8mm cine standards, by Edward Nowill of London. He has done this work for me in the past. As it stands now, he can take double perf 16mm stock and reperforate it for reg-8mm use. In due time, if it hasn't happen already, he will be able to take single-perf film (16mm), and convert it for reg-8mm use. Let us know how you do with your first roll. Brad M
Hi Brad,

if there were more people like Edward and Bart around, UK would still have a thriving ciné base for enthusiasts, he is 'worth his weight'! :)

many thanks

Ric