Spacecraft model for my sci-fi super8 film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Sasounet

Spacecraft model for my sci-fi super8 film

Post by Sasounet »

Hi there,

After to many months (years) of work, here is some pictures of the model of the main spacecraft I made for my sci-fi super 8 film.

The model is about 4.5 foot long (1.4 meter) completely scratch built. And yes, the central part is rotating.

On those pictures, the model is missing a few parts and the weathering is not finished. Total cost (excluding workmanship, we all work for free) is about $1500.

Filming starts next month!

François

Sasounet
Jean Poirier

Re: Spacecraft model for my sci-fi super8 film

Post by Jean Poirier »

Great workmanship. What filmstock are you going to use? Jean
Sasounet

Post by Sasounet »

Jean Poirier wrote:Great workmanship. What filmstock are you going to use? Jean
Mainly Cinevia T64 in Single 8. Single 8 is also great for special effects. Tried ektachrome 64T but the image is very unsteady. (At least with my cameras).

Today I did some tests with good old Kodachrome 40 (I still have about 12 cartridges of the latest batch) and 1000W of lighting. If it comes out good I will mix cinevia T64 and Kodachrome.

François
Sasounet
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

Wow! Class! This is gonna look excellent! looking forward to it! :)

Had you considered 200T? It is supposed to be good for special effects?
aj

Post by aj »

Sasounet wrote:Hi there,

After to many months (years) of work, here is some pictures of the model of the main spacecraft I made for my sci-fi super 8 film.

The model is about 4.5 foot long (1.4 meter) completely scratch built. And yes, the central part is rotating.

On those pictures, the model is missing a few parts and the weathering is not finished. Total cost (excluding workmanship, we all work for free) is about $1500.

Filming starts next month!

François

With such a value at stake better not drop it and be careful with heat from the lamps. Wouldn't want a meltdown either. :)

Where do you get the single-8 film? Do you have recent experience with Kent from singel8film.com?
Kind regards,

André
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Hi Francois - that's extraordinarily good. Somewhere here there's a post from Roger giving all sorts of tips on how to film models - I'll see if I can dig it out.

Also I reckon you should post this on the Indieclub board - it's mainly video - but there's heaps of sci-fi there and people are always posting pics of their models and cgi space ships.

You'll get a lot of interest there I should think.

Good luck

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Sasounet

Post by Sasounet »

Andersens Tears wrote:Wow! Class! This is gonna look excellent! looking forward to it! :)

Had you considered 200T? It is supposed to be good for special effects?
I would have like to film with such a fast film. Great for depth of field! (At f2.8 with Kodachrome, you don't have a lot of depth of field. Now why did I built a model that long...)

However, I am an old school guy and I want to be able to project my movie at the end. That rules out all negative film. It also means that all special effect will be done in camera. (Double exposure, front projection, etc)

François
Sasounet
Sasounet

Post by Sasounet »

aj wrote: Where do you get the single-8 film? Do you have recent experience with Kent from singel8film.com?
I get the T64 from Retro. Nice guy.

Last time I dealt with Kent was about three years ago. I did not have a very good experience at the time and I don't think I will be dealing with him again.

François
Sasounet
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

This looks just terrific. Great job.
Sasounet wrote: I would have like to film with such a fast film. Great for depth of field! (At f2.8 with Kodachrome, you don't have a lot of depth of field.
If you can squeeze it down to 5.6 at a focal length of 8mm, you'll have about 8 inches to about 12 feet. (I'm doing this from memory so I might be a bit off). Wide angle will also accentuate the size of the model. As you probably already know, you don't want anything out of focus in the foreground or the background when shooting miniatures like this. Again, looks just fine. Can't wait to see the final product.

Roger
BMasson

Post by BMasson »

Has George Lucas seen this yet? Great! job.
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

Wow! That is fantastic!
Looks even technically accurate with the spinning gravitron.

Cheers.
71er

Post by 71er »

However, I am an old school guy and I want to be able to project my movie at the end. That rules out all negative film.
Recently Andec in Germany started a transfer service of Super 8 negative to Super 8 positive. And I don't find it too expensive. But I haven't tried it yet ... :(
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
Sasounet

Post by Sasounet »

MovieStuff wrote:This looks just terrific. Great job.
If you can squeeze it down to 5.6 at a focal length of 8mm, you'll have about 8 inches to about 12 feet.
It is very difficult for me to crank up the lighting to get 5.6 reading. The problem is that I want to light the model with a single light source in order to have sharp shadows. In deep space with only one sun, the shadows are real sharp ;-)

In my previous tests with E64T I got nice exposure at f2.8 with a single 640W light source. With Kodachrome I used a 1000W source hoping to have the same kind of exposure at f2.8
MovieStuff wrote: Again, looks just fine. Can't wait to see the final product.
Well we all know what the final product will be...:

- Nice designs !!!
- Nice special effects !!!
- Great story !!!
- BAAAAD acting !!! --> so bad overall movie.

But this is a personal challenge. I am doing it to fulfill a dream I had as a teenage boy 25 years ago. I will be happy with the results whatever they are.

François
Sasounet
Sasounet

Post by Sasounet »

vidwerk wrote:Wow! That is fantastic!
Looks even technically accurate with the spinning gravitron.

Cheers.
Indeed I want this film to be as scientifically accurate as possible. It was also to difficult to have the cast floating around during the whole film... So something as to be done. Don't talk to me about artificial gravity; I want a scientifically accurate film.

The other reason to have a rotating middle portion is to add dynamic to an otherwise slow moving ship. It makes a lot of difference! Very awesome to see it spinning.

François

P.S. As it is right now the gearing makes the rotating part spin at 40 sec for a whole turn. That speed is perfect. Very impressive to see. However, being a good engineer, I calculate the resulting gravity force the passengers would be submitted to. It turns out they would feel about 1/5 of a G. Like moon gravity. To right rotation speed should a bit more than twice as fast. But it would not look as good so I am leaving it like that. So much for the scientifically accurate movie.. :-)
Sasounet
Sasounet

Post by Sasounet »

71er wrote:
However, I am an old school guy and I want to be able to project my movie at the end. That rules out all negative film.
Recently Andec in Germany started a transfer service of Super 8 negative to Super 8 positive. And I don't find it too expensive. But I haven't tried it yet ... :(
Yes I know about that and I would be willing to try it. However, I think I remember that with this process, the emulsion ends up on the wrong side of the film making it prone to scratching in a projector. Do I remember right ?

François
Sasounet