R.I.P Kodachrome. The announcement is here.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

CHAS

Re: R.I.P Kodachrome. The announcement is here.

Post by CHAS »

Janne wrote:A few Kodachrome stills I have shot over the years http://www.kinokone.fi/kodachrome.htm. Perhaps not the most artistic photos I have taken but they are Kodachromes!

I just bought four more rolls of K64. They are the last ones. I will make a slide show of the 50 last Kodachrome photos. Do you have any plans on how to spend your last Kodachrome films?

Nice work. How did you get your K64 slides scanned?

I bought one roll right before they made the announcement. Still have it in my fridge along with a Velvia 64 slide roll. I was going to do some comparison shots but now I'm not sure. Thinking about some interior posed set-ups actually.
Janne

Post by Janne »

I have one of the cheapest Epson flatbed scanners. Requires adjustments in Photoshop to make them look like the originals. One reason I prefer transparencies: it only takes a 1/250 second to create a perfect photograph.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

How much longer will Dwaynes continue to offer 'free processing' for Kodachrome films (still and movie) that are process-paid?
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Scanning Kodachrome is notoriously difficult. But Dwayne's actually does a passable job if you let them scan it for you.

I have a Nikon 4000 slide scanner but have trouble getting the results I want. Takes too much tweaking in photoshop.
Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

I've just come back from a very rare screening of early colour films, stretching from 1909 to 1939. The oldest ones used a process called stencil colour, then there was a marvellous tinted 1912 animation by Starewicz, another highlight was 'The Open Road' from 1924/25 that used a two-colour process that looks a lot softer and better than the two-colour Technicolor they experimented with at the same time, but unfortunately didn't take off. The final film of the evening was a 1938 documentary filmed in Dufaycolour. The absolute highlights for me were, however, two home movies from the end of the 1930s, both filmed in 16mm Kodachrome and beautifully restored by the Filmmuseum in the Netherlands. Until now I didn't actually realize how long Kodachrome has been around for. It will be sorely missed. Out of all the films I saw this evening, the Kodachrome footage definitely had by far the most natural colour renderings.

Nowadays I guess my favourite colour film stock is Chrome 100D, and I'm very grateful to the companies who offer this stock in 8mm. Having said this, much as I love the look of Chrome 100D, Kodachrome looks just that tad better, and there's definitely something unique about this icon of reversal film stocks.
aj

Post by aj »

Well, if you want a last summer with Kodachrome order now from Wittner.
BTW I have no connection with Wittner. Except for occasional supplies purchasing.

http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katal ... _filmm.php
LAST ORDER PLEASE - LETZTE GELEGENHEIT
Noch einen Sommer! Wir konnten letztmalig Kodachrome 40 Material aus der letzten Produktion erwerben. Dieses Material wird derzeit zu Super 8 Kassetten konfektioniert. Danach endet leider auch bei uns die Kodachrome 40 Ära. Nutzen Sie diese allerletzte Gelegenheit, einen Film auf diesem einzigartigen Material zu drehen. ...
Inspiration: Image
http://www.retroroadtrips.com/index.html
Kind regards,

André