Scoopic sync?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Janne

Re: Scoopic sync?

Post by Janne »

I'm planning to offer crystal sync conversion for Canon Soopic. I just finished bulding a prototype and have tested it with a Scoopic 16 MS. It would be nice if it could be used to control super-8 cameras too but I'm not sure. Anyone have a schematic for Canon 814 AZ Electronic?
Actor

Post by Actor »

Will2 wrote:No problems on short segments. You'll always have to do some minor adjustments in FCP but I've found sync to stay ok for a minute or slightly more without to much adjustment.
Crystal sync may not be as important as many believe. I've made no attempt to confirm it but I've read somewhere that the average time between cuts in a feature film is 7 seconds. If true, then my guess is it's 15 seconds or less in 90% of cases.

Ok, a professional for whom time-is-money will want crystal sync, but the low budget guy willing to invest some sweat equity it shouldn't be that difficult to sync 15 seconds of dialog by hand. I'm not suggesting that you limit each take to 15 seconds with a clapper marking both head and tail. Just lip sync it. A few cases may drive you crazy but Rodriguez did it with El Mariachi and seems to have gotten an acceptable result.
Janne

Post by Janne »

It may not be so important for no-budget shooters but in a professional production syncing in post would probably cost more than for example, renting a sync sound camera.

However, if you shoot music videos, having a camera with crystal sync is a huge advantage. Another advantage of a sync conversion (at least with the one that I offer) is that it makes possible to shoot at "odd" frame rates like 23.975 and 25 which is the default transfer rate in Europe.

I'm offering the sync sound unit with installation for a beta tester for eur 120 plus shipping. This is for limited time only. It will cost much more when in full production. It is a very small module which can be installed inside the camera. Only two holes have to be drilled on the side of the camera, one for a switch and another one for an indicator light.
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

I think that short segments make sense. If I can sync for 30-60 seconds I'm happy. I had bernie test mine and it's almost crystal (within .05% on average). So I'm not gonna sweat it. It also did fine on a few tests I did.

The larger issue is keeping the noise level down. After a full CLA it's somewhat audible at close-range.

For the record, the sound on El Mariachi was recorded on cassettes during non-camera takes and synced later. At least that's what the book said.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
Actor

Post by Actor »

adamgarner wrote:For the record, the sound on El Mariachi was recorded on cassettes during non-camera takes and synced later. At least that's what the book said.
That's correct, and I don't think what I posted is inconsistent with that. At any rate if he could get acceptable sync with that method it should certainly be possible to get sync using sound recorded during the camera take, provided you can get a handle on the camera noise. Camera noise was his primary reason for doing it the way he did.
Actor

Post by Actor »

Janne wrote:It may not be so important for no-budget shooters but in a professional production syncing in post would probably cost more than for example, renting a sync sound camera.
There are probably more no-budget shooters than professionals on this forum. Whatever. In most large projects, from making a movie to running a business to putting a man on the moon, payroll is the big expense. So, yes, having the equipment that enables someone to get it done in an hour rather than a day is a smart move. That's why backhoes replaced men with shovels. :lol:
fastwind

Post by fastwind »

Canon Scoopic M/MS Crystal Control Modification

http://www.webtfg.com/sync10.htm

The crystal sync conversion is completely internal to the camera. A sync indicator LED is installed at the rear of the camera to the right of the eyepiece. A toggle switch to activate crystal control is located on the control side next to the power switch. The conversion can be supplied for 24fps, 25fps or 30fps (please specify at time of order).

Price: $475 (this is for the crystal conversion, only. The Scoopic camera is not included)

*Also available for the black-body Scoopic M/MS...

-External Power Cable: 4-pin male XLR plug to female Canon plug x 5' long: $65 plus $5.00 shipping.

-4.5 amp. Nickel Metal Hydride battery pack weighing just 1.2 lbs. Supplied w/padded case, shoulder strap, charger and the External Power Cable: $270 plus $10 shipping.