Lens support/mattebox for B4008ZMII

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

greg_8mm

Lens support/mattebox for B4008ZMII

Post by greg_8mm »

I've recently started to shoot with other lenses on my B4008ZMII apart from the wonderful Schneider 6-66mm that came with it. I'm using Nikon SLR lenses with a nikon to c-mount adapter.

I was looking into buying different filters (an external 85B and several ND filters) to use with the camera. But now that I've started to shoot with several lenses I don't think it makes sense to buy 77mm screw on filters only for the Schneider 6-66mm lens.

So I'm looking into matteboxes and lens support things and stuff (you know the metal rods that hold the mattebox). It's hard to tell from a manufacturers website though if the mattebox/lens support system is going to be compatible with the Beaulieu camera.

Anyone that can suggest some good lens support sytems/matteboxes?

Especially since the flat end of the pistol handle on the Beaulieu is not parallel with the lens axis.

Help would be highly appreciated.
aj

Re: Lens support/mattebox for B4008ZMII

Post by aj »

These Chrosziel items get expensive very quickly. I.e. 2-3 times the value of your camera :( Used that is.

There is a standard Beaulieu item for making the handle in line with the optical axis. But you could also consider building a rod-support yourself. It is not too difficult and then build the support at an angle to align the camera with the rods.

Still the remaining chrosziel mattebox things are expensive. But there is also a firm from India selling alike things on eBay. New and a number of configurations.

BTW Isn't the Schneider lens 62mm ???
Kind regards,

André
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

Yeah i know but i have the step up ring/shade on top of the lens that takes 77mm filters.

I was already thinking of making the rods myself. That's not hard to make. But the question still remains which mattebox to get. I'll have a look at those chrosziel ones on ebay.

I was just curious to see what everyone else has.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

I have a rod support system custom-made for Beaulieu 4008 series cameras by American Cinematographic Specialties (formerly Level 8mm). The rod support attaches to a leveling wedge also made by American Cinematographic Specialties. I've fitted the rod support with a second-hand Chrosziel 3x3-inch matte box that cost $250.00. I don't have current contact information, but ACS products appear from time-to-time at eBay.
aj

Post by aj »

Here you have the equipment for lovely film making :)
Usually on eBay too.

The rail sets:
http://dvcity.com/dve/index.php?cPath=80
Full set:
http://dvcity.com/dve/product_info.php? ... cts_id=217
Nice too:
http://dvcity.com/dve/product_info.php? ... cts_id=206

Prices aren't too bad when compared to Chrosziel parts.

The clamp-on things are only good when they are round and the filters are nod graded or such. Nowadays these sets are more aimed at Video cameras. When purchasing mind the height of your camera's grip. Or hang it upside down from the like the nizo 6056 et al had with their matte box. An EWA matte box set might be the easiest to adapt and still be affordable. You would have to contruct a french flag yourself. If you think you need one. It is not red-white-blue but the black swing-up door :)
Kind regards,

André
D_Odell

Post by D_Odell »

Here is my solution with Cavision rodsupport and an Arri Matte box. It still needs a doughnut though...

Feel free to ask anything.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

How did you deal with the wiring and switch in the grip that you removed? How is the camera operated now?
D_Odell

Post by D_Odell »

When screwing on the battery the camera gets powered. So I have to remove the battery when I'm not filming. It's a good idea which Björn Andersson came up with.

Of course you can always put the handle back and connect the wires if you want to.

Best,
David
filmo

Post by filmo »

That 4008 is the prettiest I've ever seen. I didn't know they came in jet black. The only ones I've ever seen are more of a gun metal grey....

I really think the "hammered" finish on the Pro8 models is ugly as hell.
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

Inspired by the images posted above, I took my crippled ZMII and decided to try to take off the pistol grip handle. I figured the camera would sit much more stable on a tripod's head without the handle, and with heavier lenses I thought that might improve image stability.

Anyways, to my surprise, the wiring was really easy. I just soldered the wires together that usually go into the power switch of the handle. So now the camera is always powered if the battery's in.

And I must say, the camera now is much steadier on a tripod!

I don't know yet though if I'm gonna remove the handle on my "good" ZMII. It becomes pretty hard to shoot handheld without the handle and once it is removed, it becomes almost impossible to get the wiring back together.

Anyways thanks for posting the inspiring pictures, I would've never thought of removing the handle otherwise. That rod support is now coming for sure, I need to find some money first though..

Another question: What exactly is that eyepiece on the pics? I need a new eyepiece for my B4008ZMII and the one on your camera looks really comfortable..

Thanks
D_Odell

Post by D_Odell »

It's a simple Blue star eye cushion. You can find it at professional camerastores. Fore Beaulieu cameras I suggest size SMALL.

Best,
David
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

Alright thanks!! How does that work though? Do you slide it over the original rubber eyepiece or does it come with a screw-on piece so you can mount it to the Beaulieu's viewfinder?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

It seems like to much gun.

Unless you are pulling focus behind a polarizer I don't see why you need an Matte Box on a Super8 camera.

Wait.

I thought about it.

You don't need a Matte Box on a Super8 camera.

If you get a step up ring to use the same size filters as your still lenses you will be just fine and spend a lot less. Grab a decent shade and all is fine. There have been more times where I needed to flag while shooting S8 than I needed any filter beyond 85 and an ND.

It's about what you put in front of the lens that counts...Not what you put on it.

Good Luck
aj

Post by aj »

Well, it may be about the looks too :)

With these run-about and spraying around camera motions all the technical qualities of cameras loose relevance. Who needs steady and sharp images when the image is barely focused and the camera tilts and pans all the time. And then still persist on spending big money on pressure plate or yearly collimation
Kind regards,

André
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

Alright I'm sure I don't need it, but yah it def looks cool :D

And I do really needthe lens support, I'm getting new longer lenses which are gonna be pretty hard on the B4008's c-mount...

Anyways about the viewfinder, about a month ago I was shooting in morocco under a very bright sun. With the sun being so bright and also taking into account I had a ND8 filter in front of my lens it was very hard to look thru the viewfinder and focus. The eyecup I have now is just the original piece of rubber, which didn't block much of the sun at all. I can imagine having such a ring as D_Odell has on his camera would've helped a lot..

But I still don't really get how those eye cushions work, do they slide over the original eye piece or do they come with a screw on part so you can attach them to the viewfinder?

thanks