Is Elizabeth Pharmacy (Aust) still selling 8mm?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

winbert

Is Elizabeth Pharmacy (Aust) still selling 8mm?

Post by winbert »

When I was in Australia, I used to buy 8mm stocks from this pharmacy for a very good deals. I still remember, they sold the cheapest around the globe for all range 8mms stocks. It was around AU$17 for a silent K40s (eqv. US$ 11 at that time)

The address was in Cnr. Elizabeth & Lt. Collins St, Melbourne.

I went to google street view to check that pharmacy but it seems the pahrmacy is not there. can you guys from Australia tell me if Elizabeth Pharmacy has moved or closed or is still around.

If they are still in business, do they still sell 8mm stocks? What is the price now they ask?

regards,

winbert
gahoona

Re: Is Elizabeth Pharmacy (Aust) still selling 8mm?

Post by gahoona »

you can get it from Richard at nanolab in victoria http://www.nanolab.com.au/.
winbert

Post by winbert »

Hi thanks for pointing me out to nanolab, but I am asking if Elizabeth Pharmacy is still there (in Elizabeth st, Melbourne)?
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

g'day winbert,
yes, elizabeth pharmacy is still there. No, sadly despite repeated overtures on my part during the introduction of Ektachrome 64t they aren't stocking super 8. The business changed hands I believe some years ago and they lost the imperative to stock 8mm. But they certainly were an institution amongst super 8ers in Melbourne. I was trying to encourage them to continue stocking it partly because of the history the business had had with the gauge. Unfortunately Kodachrome super 8 was bumped around different departments at Kodak until all super 8 ended up in the entertainment imaging department. But during this 'bumping' time, many businesses were told by various kodak people that 'super 8 is no longer available' etc etc.. Even here, Kodak is a large entity that is difficult to penetrate unless you have the right phone numbers.
but don't let all this stop you comming to Melburne. When will you be here?
cheers,
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
winbert

Post by winbert »

Hi Richard,

No, I am not visiting Melb in the near future, but certainly will do on my transit trip to American land (I live in Indonesia).

My question above all started when I was trying the Melbourne Google Street View and wanted to see what has changed since my last visit in 1996. And indeed there are a lot of changes. Then I visited (virtually) corner Little Collins and Elizabeth St to find my most visited place during my time in Melb. And I didn't see it.

But since you said that the pharmacy is still in business, perhaps it because the changing of its front face.

Anyway, it is true that Elizabeth Pharmacy is my memory. In 1996, I could buy K40s sound for AU$ 22 (almost US$ 15 at currency rate at that time) and AU$17 for silent, which both process included. 8)

cheers,
Plastik

Post by Plastik »

Yes, they were selling super 8 at the lowest prices; i used to buy my super 8 cartridges from there. They stopped selling super 8 film a while back - i think it was when K40 was discontinued. They don't sell super 8 anymore - the lady at the time had said that it was difficult for them to stock super 8 film (i think she was specifically referring to E64T - post k40 era).

It's a shame - I loved of purchasing super 8 film from a pharmacy.

Richard is the man to get in contact with:
www.nanolab.com.au
Ertugrul Togacay
Plastik

Post by Plastik »

Oh, didn't see Richard's post - it wasn't visible for some reason.
He had already answered all your questions.

The pharmacy is still there - I go into it from time to time. I think the very pretty chemist lady is still there :)
Ertugrul Togacay